US visitor invitation letter help

Old Mar 12th 2018, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Lovedupbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US visitor invitation letter help

Hello again everyone!

So I finally get to fly over to meet my girlfriend's family in the US on Saturday . I stay for 2 weeks.

I'm so excited! I have prepared some documents to help me at the border.

I have a letter from work stating that I have a job, a letter from the college that I attend stating that I am a current student, a bank statement, return ticket and travel insurance.

I'm staying with my girlfriend and her family and thought I'd better have a letter to prove that I am staying there.

Could anyone give me a rough idea on how to word it? I'm not great at this letter writing stuff and any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Alex Baines
Old Mar 12th 2018, 8:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US visitor invitation letter help

Why do you think you need all of that? You're going on holiday to the US for 2 weeks. End of story. USCIS don't need your entire life's history or anything about your future plans unless you are specifically asked. When you get to the immigration desk and are asked the purpose of your visit you will tell the truth that you are visiting for 2 weeks. If asked who you're visiting you answer honestly thats you are visiting a friend (or girlfriend whichever you prefer).
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

This is a US rather than UK immigration question but I suspect the letter from the family would be overkill and might caused more problems than it solved. If asked I would say you are just staying with a friend and their family. No need to emphasis the 'girlfriend' aspect unless asked directly. The rest of the documents you are bringing are good but probably will never be needed if you follow my advice below.

It may sound flippant but based on my own personal experience of travelling around the world whilst young and male for the last 15 years included several trips to the US I would always recommend good personal presentation - clean shaven, neat hair, shirt and chinos goes a long way, even a blazer if you have one. Every time I've travelled with several days worth of stubble or looking a scruff I always get pulled for 'random' checks. I was once stopped five times between Hong Kong and Tokyo because I'd spent a week on holiday there and hadn't thought to bring a razor. Combination of that and the humidity and I looked a complete mess. Consequently I was pulled over at check-in and security at Hong Kong, on arrival and baggage reclaim at Narita, as well as a policeman stopping me for my papers after I've left the terminal and was making for the train station. Obviously looking smart will also be a good move if you are meeting the future in-laws for the first time.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Hello everyone.

I just realised that I accidentally put it in the wrong section... I apologise.

So the letter is probably overkill? That's fair enough.

I'll make sure that I look clean and presentable. I just don't want any more hassle at the border than what I'll probably be getting anyway.

Any other tips would be great. I've been reading horror stories and I'm getting slightly nervous.

Thank you

Alex
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:38 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously make sure you have your ESTA in place before you get to the airport. Other than that just have the mentality that the US has zero obligation to you; it's their country and they have no interest whatsoever in your hopes, plans or dreams. They hold all the cards and getting angry, defensive, entitled, etc.. isn't going to help you one iota. Remain calm at all times and simply answer questions honestly and briefly as possible. Don't volunteer any information or documentation unless asked for it directly.

Immediately post-9/11 US immigration was not a pleasant experience - lots of shouting, threats and baseless accusations - but things have improved since then. My last trip was via JFK in 2014 and I wasn't asked any questions at all; I said hello, the gentleman took my fingerprints, stamped my passport and that was it. I suspect your experience will be somewhere between those two extremes.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions again. It's honestly very much appreciated.

I'm a nice guy, I don't get wound up easily. I know full well that they hold all the cards as you rightly said. I will just tell them what they ask, and keep calm. That's all I can do really isn't it after all.

My girlfriend managed to get over here for a three month visit and got questioned for an hour. Hopefully I'll answer a few questions and sail through.

I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again,

Alex
Old Mar 12th 2018, 10:16 am

Sounds like you have the right attitude; let us know how you get on.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Hello everyone,

So I fly tomorrow, I'm incredibly excited but also very, very nervous.

My question is: When I am asked where I am staying, do I say "friend" or "girlfriend" right off the bat? People say to just leave it as "friend" and only divulge that it's a girlfriend if asked. To me, doing that makes it seem like I'm withholding information. What are people's opinions on that?

Im honestly trying to get through this with as least hassle as possible.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Alex
Old Mar 16th 2018, 11:23 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lovedupbrit
Hello everyone,

My question is: When I am asked where I am staying, do I say "friend" or "girlfriend" right off the bat? People say to just leave it as "friend" and only divulge that it's a girlfriend if asked. To me, doing that makes it seem like I'm withholding information. What are people's opinions on that?

Thank you
Alex
Be honest. I said girlfriend countless time when I went to visit and never had any problems.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lovedupbrit
Hello everyone,

Thank you
Alex
Originally Posted by az2014
Be honest. I said girlfriend countless time when I went to visit and never had any problems.
What he said. I also said I'm visiting my girlfriend whenever I went and they were always fine with it. Once or twice they made casual conversation about vacation plans with my girlfriend whilst I was there, and that was it.

Don't try to read the officer, some are just grumpy and seem like they hate you, and some are friendly and will make casual conversations whilst you get your fingerprints etc. This just depends on how they are in regards to how they do their job. Just be careful in how you word things, answer only what is asked and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone,

Im glad to read of some positive experiences. I've once again been silly and googled it... I've heard some utter horror stories and worked myself up into a panic.

I'll keep your advice in mind and just go with the flow. I guess times have changed with the age of the Internet and being able to meet people internationally.

I'll let you lot know how I get on.

Thank you again,

Alex
Old Mar 16th 2018, 5:51 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

We have had various young family visitors come to stay with us over the years and we always tell them to bring proof of employment/college and bank statement. They have never been asked for it. With that paperwork, you will be more prepared than most people visiting on an ESTA. You'll be fine. Have a good trip.