US visas - scb

Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

stephencb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US visas - scb

Hi

Please can anyone advise how I am best placed to get a visa to the US? I am currently the head of business analysis and project management for a top 5 investment bank. Unfortunately there are no opportunities for an internal transfer so I am looking at alternative opportunities.

I know an HB1 visa is an option but you need a company sponsorship and given the current market that is not a great option.

I believe an EB2 is an alternative, if this is this case do I have to have a company to sponsor me or can I gain a visa without sponsorship? Alternatively is there any other way I can get to work in the NYC as I am determined to work there no matter what.

Any advice on getting a visa to work in the US is welcomed.

Stephen
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:11 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US visas - scb

What a sign of the times. We usually get a stream of brickies and plumbers with their sights set no emigrating to Disneyland. Now it's bankers and NYC.

Read the Wiki, tell us what visas you think you may be eligible for, ask specific questions and you'll be better placed to get a useful answer.

Wiki - How to Live and Work in the US
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

I am not sure if I am eligible for a EB2 visa. I have heard I may be but I have also been told that I would still need sponsorship for this. Either way I am determined to work in NYC and am looking for the best way to get there.
Given the current climate sponsorship is not a great option so I am looking for advice on other options especially the EB2, but any other advice is welcome
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:16 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephencb
I am not sure if I am eligible for a EB2 visa. I have heard I may be but I have also been told that I would still need sponsorship for this. Either way I am determined to work in NYC and am looking for the best way to get there.
Given the current climate sponsorship is not a great option so I am looking for advice on other options especially the EB2, but any other advice is welcome
if you read through the link dbj posted above - then you can tell us which may apply? Otherwsie we would have to ask you 1 million questions to determine which may apply. (ie are you married, have kids, where were you born, any rellies in the US, quals etc etc etc Once you narrow it down we can gladly answer specific questions etc.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from reading that wiki link, doing a search of the forums, you might also notice a large visa section to the website, that's worth posting in.

Just because you are hell bent on working in the US, does not mean the US is hell bent on wanting you and bankers are dime a dozen....so if your company doesn't want to transfer you, it's not looking good...marry a yank, or look at another country.

Though seriously consider what you plan to gain by going to the US? Why not move around the UK or the EU? Don't give daily mail excerpts for reasons either.

and welcome to BE.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Apart from reading that wiki link, doing a search of the forums, you might also notice a large visa section to the website, that's worth posting in.

Just because you are hell bent on working in the US, does not mean the US is hell bent on wanting you and bankers are dime a dozen....so if your company doesn't want to transfer you, it's not looking good...marry a yank, or look at another country.

Though seriously consider what you plan to gain by going to the US? Why not move around the UK or the EU? Don't give daily mail excerpts for reasons either.

and welcome to BE.
Hi:

Besides reading the wiki's and perusing the forums, you might even consider consulting with an attorney. Just a thought. Some even do them for free on-line and via phone -- see http://www.fongandchun.com one of whom actually participates here.

Let me put it this way -- good attorneys are in the business of helping people and they are motivated to find a way and also ethically obligated to tell you the chances. And if you think they will tell you anything to get their hands on your money -- ask DBJ1000 who posted earlier on this thread -- he had to persuade his attorney to try an alternative method which the attorney thought stood a snowflake's chance in Hell. It worked. And in our friendly discussions, he thinks it was obvious and I think his application sailed through Hell on a cool day.

I know that I sometimes do a "what the Hell? application" after advising the client of the slim chances. Sometimes it comes down to "if you don't bet, you can't win."
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Besides reading the wiki's and perusing the forums, you might even consider consulting with an attorney. Just a thought. Some even do them for free on-line and via phone -- see http://www.fongandchun.com one of whom actually participates here.
There is that, but the reason why still stands don't it...
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

You work for a top 5 IB (so thats got to be one of ML, GS, DB, C, Nomura, CS, JPM?) but there are no chances of moving whatsoever? Have you pursued it with them? I work for a hedge fund in NYC ahving been transferred from the London office, and almost every English person I know out here works for investment banks. None of us are senior execs or anything like that (we're all in our mid to late 20's)....obviously you know your company better than I do but it seems strange that there are no opportuninites at all. Have you investigated the possibility of moving within your current firm, but at your own expense? i.e. they just pay for your visa, you pay for everything else? You could explain that you really want to move...most firms would rather keep decent employees than let them go. If you want the full package (flights, housing, UK salary etc) then I can understand that it could be unlikely especially in the current climate, but I would at least ask them.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately for my specific company in question there is no chance of a transfer. I have made a number of enquiries and at this time there is no chance.

I have been looking at the other visa options on the wiki and would still appreciate some advice. I am single, with no children, 30 years old and have no US relatives. I have an Honors BA degree and am Head of Business Analysis & Design/Project Management for my company. I believe an EB2 visa may be an option but before investing with an immigration lawyer to look in detail at my options does anyone know if I MUST have company sponsorship already lined up?

Essentially given the current market companies are wanting to employ those who are already authorised to work in the US so I am looking for a way in which I can get a visa without sponsorship and then apply once I have sponsorship in place.

I will of course apply hoping for a company to offer sponsorship but if anyone has advice on getting a visa without sponsorship that would be really appreciated.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephencb
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately for my specific company in question there is no chance of a transfer. I have made a number of enquiries and at this time there is no chance.

I have been looking at the other visa options on the wiki and would still appreciate some advice. I am single, with no children, 30 years old and have no US relatives. I have an Honors BA degree and am Head of Business Analysis & Design/Project Management for my company. I believe an EB2 visa may be an option but before investing with an immigration lawyer to look in detail at my options does anyone know if I MUST have company sponsorship already lined up?

Essentially given the current market companies are wanting to employ those who are already authorised to work in the US so I am looking for a way in which I can get a visa without sponsorship and then apply once I have sponsorship in place.

I will of course apply hoping for a company to offer sponsorship but if anyone has advice on getting a visa without sponsorship that would be really appreciated.
There is a way of getting an EB-2 without an offer of employment but sadly I don't think you would qualify (although not sure you'd qualify for an EB-2 anyway but perhaps I'm misunderstanding your job?). There is a 'National Interest waiver' but you would need to prove 'exceptional ability' for that, the following is some blurb about it from a random website:

A national interest waiver may be acquired under the second preference employment category for aliens of exceptional abilities in the science, arts or business and advanced degree professionals. The annual quota for the issuance of these permanent visas is 40,000 plus any unused visas from the first preference employment category.

If the alien beneficiary can satisfy three of the following criteria s/he may qualify for an exceptional ability second preference visa

· Possesses an official degree, diploma, certificate or academic record from a recognised institution relating to the area of exceptional ability

· Provide evidence from current or former employers showing ten years of experience in the field

· Possesses a license or certificate authorising the practise in a particular area

· Can prove that the salary received indicates exceptional ability

· Membership in a professional association

· Proof of recognition for achievements and contributions to my field or industry by peers, government entities, professional or business organisations

· Equivalent evidence to the above criteria that is more specific to the field of expertise

Hope that helps, good luck.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Being Single gives you your best chance.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Being Single gives you your best chance.
I'll second that!

Ian