Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Visa after a refusal during Canadian PR landing

US Visa after a refusal during Canadian PR landing

Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

dimon237 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Visa after a refusal during Canadian PR landing

Has anyone applied for a US Visitor Visa after getting a refusal letter from the US as a part of Canadian Permanent resident landing process? The impact on ones ability to obtain US Visitor Visas by this refusal thing seems to be kind of grey area, as I was not able to find any definite answers from any experts on this matter. I have an interview for a visa next week and I would really apreciate any input on this based on personal experience or from our dear experts. Thank you.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:40 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Visa after a refusal during Canadian PR landing

Originally Posted by dimon237
Has anyone applied for a US Visitor Visa after getting a refusal letter from the US as a part of Canadian Permanent resident landing process? The impact on ones ability to obtain US Visitor Visas by this refusal thing seems to be kind of grey area, as I was not able to find any definite answers from any experts on this matter. I have an interview for a visa next week and I would really apreciate any input on this based on personal experience or from our dear experts. Thank you.
It's insane that Canada makes so many people depart Canada and get refused from the U.S. just to process landed papers, but they do. This formality does not impact you in any way. It actually counts as a withdrawl of application for admission and not a formal refusal. I would mention it to the consular officer, but it will definetly not have a negative impact on your visa application.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg14624
It's insane that Canada makes so many people depart Canada and get refused from the U.S. just to process landed papers, but they do. This formality does not impact you in any way. It actually counts as a withdrawl of application for admission and not a formal refusal. I would mention it to the consular officer, but it will definetly not have a negative impact on your visa application.
Thank you crg14624. I agree with you that's it's stupid. Plus some people are required to do that, others manage to do without it. Anyways, I was planning to do exactly what you said, I wrote a cover letter explainig this, I just have one more question. There is a question #38 in DS156 about being refused entry. I answered NO and mentioned that in the cover letter. What do you think?
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:39 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dimon237
Thank you crg14624. I agree with you that's it's stupid. Plus some people are required to do that, others manage to do without it. Anyways, I was planning to do exactly what you said, I wrote a cover letter explainig this, I just have one more question. There is a question #38 in DS156 about being refused entry. I answered NO and mentioned that in the cover letter. What do you think?
I'd check NO, and scribble in "processed landed papers (date)" or something like "allowed to withdraw to become landed" or "see cover letter". See if you can fit it in the margin. You weren't even seeking admission, and if it wasn't for silly Canadian procedures, it wouldn't have ever happened.

You could legally get away with checking "No" but you don't want them to think you're hiding anything.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

OK. Finally for those who are wondering about this grey area as much as I, here is some definitive information. As nobody other than crg14624 was able to give any kind of conclusive answer I decided that the only way to find out whether I made a terrible mistake by getting a refusal letter or not, is to try to get a US Visa myself. Coincidently my friends invited me to visit them in NYC. I made an appointment with the US Consulate in Toronto. Prepared a package of documents after reading some forums on what's required. And mainly I wrote a cover letter explaining the whole thing with the refusal. There is actually a question on wheter one was ever refused an entry to the United States or not and I checked "NO" and mentioned that in the cover letter as well. In the consulate however you are required to submit only documents that are required (forms, fees, passport, pictures etc) All supporting docs you leave to yourself to show to the officer if asked. When I was called to the window, after all the normal questions about why I want to go, where I work etc, I was asked whether I was ever refused entry. I said no, but here is the situation, and explained everything (didn't even have to use the letter). After that I was asked if I ever was arrested and after that I was told to pick up my passport with the visa the next day. I picked it up today, and I got B1/B2 Mult. Entry Visa for 10 years. So, now you know it. Aperantly, what I was told by the CIC officials is true, this particular refusal does not have any bearing on ones ability to obtain a US Visa. Now I have to say that this alone, does not have any bearing, but this only means that if you have an otherwise solid case to get a visa, you can. So now I will visit NYC for a couple of days for the first time. Hope this helps.