US or UK Passport

Old May 24th 2018, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Andrew1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US or UK Passport

Hi,

My wife and live in the UK. I'm a UK citizen and my wife US. My wife recently received her indefinite leave to remain and our home is the UK. We plan to spend 4-5 months a year in the US (one trip) for the next 4-5 years, I have my B2 visa for the extended stay.

We have just had our first child (born in the UK) and trying to work out what the requirements are for a visa/passport as we will be in the US for longer than 3 months. Any thoughts/experiences would be great, unsure if US passport is the easiest but unsure if any issues with this?

Thanks in advance.
Andrew
Old May 24th 2018, 8:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US or UK Passport

Presumably your child is a US citizen? If so, a US passport is the only option anyway - a USC can't get a visa, plus they MUST enter the US on a US passport.
Old May 24th 2018, 10:13 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US or UK Passport

You’ll need to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your child. You can simultaneously apply for their first US passport and SS number.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/birth/

If you plan to spend more than three months at a time outside the UK going forward I would highly recommend that your wife should lodge her application for naturalisation as a British citizen immediately.

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen