US Sponsor Question.

Old Oct 29th 2016, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

daveyboy1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation US Sponsor Question.

Hi, I've got a couple of questions that I want to run by people to get an idea of your thoughts.

1) I have an 0-1 Visa. Moving over to the States in the next couple of months. My sponsor has said to me that I have two options in terms of work and payment.
- All work payments go through them and then they pay me, minus 20%
- Or, I can pay them a one off fee and then invoice the clients direct who will then pay directly into my account. This way I won't have to pay my sponsor a percentage and wait for them to transfer it to me. It will just be a one off fee to them.

They say this is perfectly fine and legal to do. However, as a sponsor I thought all work had to go through them?

2) I've also been told that I can set up a LLC but not work for it. So I'd be able to use the account for business and expenses: travel, food, office, etc, but not take a wage from it.

What I don't want is complications when I have to go back to the UK to renew my Visa after 3 years. I know they're quite full on with their questions, so want to ensure I'm doing everything by the book, and this want be a big Red Flag to them!

My lawyer and sponsor say this is fine to do, but I still feel a little unsure.

Any advice would be a big help.
Thanks!
Old Oct 29th 2016, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Sponsor Question.

Originally Posted by daveyboy1984
They say this is perfectly fine and legal to do. However, as a sponsor I thought all work had to go through them?
Don't confuse work and payment. I believe they are using the terms fairly loosely... but you shouldn't. You are getting all your work through them (read = you should not be finding clients on your own) regardless of how you choose to get paid.

I've also been told that I can set up a LLC but not work for it.
Correct - anyone can set up an LLC, but I believe you can work only for your O-1 sponsor.

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2016, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

daveyboy1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Sponsor Question.

Thanks Ian.

Any other opinions would be really helpful.
Thanks