Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Military, a way to go from GC to USC

US Military, a way to go from GC to USC

Old Apr 28th 2004, 4:30 am

Karakatiza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Military, a way to go from GC to USC

I find this topic to be quite interesting.

From what I know, once you have an unconditional green card you can enlist into any Military branch (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard). You can even enlist with conditional Green Card (the one that expires in two years but is valid at the time of enlistment).
I also know that one can apply for US Citizenship after one year of military service (this has been reduced from three years to one).

My questions are:

1) Which Military Branch is more suitable for people with college degrees or advanced education (M.S. and Ph.D.)

2) Is it possible to become an officer after you enlisted and received a citizenship. If yes, how long will it take?

3) How long is enlistment for?

4) If there are people who have done that, please share your experiences.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:16 am
Mrtravelkay

Default Re: US Military, a way to go from GC to USC

Karakatiza wrote:

> I find this topic to be quite interesting.
    >
    > From what I know, once you
    > have an unconditional green card you can enlist into any Military
    > branch (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard). You can even
    > enlist with conditional Green Card (the one that expires in two years
    > but is valid at the time of enlistment).
    > I also know that one can
    > apply for US Citizenship after one year of military service (this has
    > been reduced from three years to one).
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1) Which
    > Military Branch is more suitable for people with college degrees or
    > advanced education (M.S. and Ph.D.)

Define "more suitable". There are jobs for intelligent people in all
branches.

>
    > 2) Is it possible to become an
    > officer after you enlisted and received a citizenship. If yes, how long
    > will it take?

Yes. How long? Could be years.

>
    > 3) How long is enlistment for?

2 to 6 years....

> 4) If there are people
    > who have done that, please share your experiences.
    >

Why the rush to citizenship?
Saving 2 years hardly seems a reason to enlist.
Lower level enlisted pay isn't that much and what about the separation
from your new spouse?

Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Karakatiza

From what I know, once you have an unconditional green card you can enlist into any Military branch (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard). You can even enlist with conditional Green Card (the one that expires in two years but is valid at the time of enlistment).
I also know that one can apply for US Citizenship after one year of military service (this has been reduced from three years to one).

My questions are:

1) Which Military Branch is more suitable for people with college degrees or advanced education (M.S. and Ph.D.)

2) Is it possible to become an officer after you enlisted and received a citizenship. If yes, how long will it take?

Hi:

The reductions for 3 to one you are mentioning is for section 328 of the Act. However, there is section 329 is now in operation due to the Dubya's declaration of "War on Terror."
Old Apr 28th 2004, 9:20 am

Trent is an unknown quantity at this point

My questions are:

Actually, very recently (less than a month ago) a colleague of mine tried to apply for any available position in the Airforce. He was interviewed over the phone and was told that they only accept greencards with 10-year validity. I don't know why and this is like treating conditional residents differently than LPRs. But then again, it's military and they have their own rules and laws.

Last edited by Trent; Apr 28th 2004 at 9:27 am.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

It's a bit of a stretch on the topic of marriage based visas...
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:22 am
Sam Gordon

Actually, from what I read, you cannot become an officer (i.e. enlist as
officer) unless you are a citizen.

Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:35 am

Originally posted by Mrtravelkay
Karakatiza wrote:

> I find this topic to be quite interesting.
    >
    > From what I know, once you
    > have an unconditional green card you can enlist into any Military
    > branch (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard). You can even
    > enlist with conditional Green Card (the one that expires in two years
    > but is valid at the time of enlistment).
    > I also know that one can
    > apply for US Citizenship after one year of military service (this has
    > been reduced from three years to one).
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1) Which
    > Military Branch is more suitable for people with college degrees or
    > advanced education (M.S. and Ph.D.)

Define "more suitable". There are jobs for intelligent people in all
branches.

The one branch that utilizes higher education the most. But, perhaps, you are right. There are intelligent jobs in all military branches. Not to discriminate, but there were some topics here that claim the US Air Force is the most high tech.

>
    > 2) Is it possible to become an
    > officer after you enlisted and received a citizenship. If yes, how long
    > will it take?

Yes. How long? Could be years.

>
    > 3) How long is enlistment for?

2 to 6 years....

> 4) If there are people
    > who have done that, please share your experiences.
    >

Why the rush to citizenship?
Saving 2 years hardly seems a reason to enlist.
Lower level enlisted pay isn't that much and what about the separation
from your new spouse?
No rush. Just a question. Thanks.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:39 am

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The reductions for 3 to one you are mentioning is for section 328 of the Act. However, there is section 329 is now in operation due to the Dubya's declaration of "War on Terror."

Does this mean there is no wait, not even for one year?
Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
It's a bit of a stretch on the topic of marriage based visas...

Actually questions of this nature have been posted at least one a year for the last six years that the AVUMB newsgroup has been in existence.

It would appear that there are quite a few foreign spouses who want to enter the US military for any number of reasons, i.e. further their education at free if not reduced costs, quicker naturalization rules, adventure and the chance to travel, etc.

While it is not necessarily an immediate "how to get a green card/visa" question, there is much validity in the question as one's status, AOS in waiting, conditional PR or LPR, has direct bearing on the poster's ability to "join up."

The original purpose of starting the newsgroup was to help others through the entire process of marriage-based visas and that included the living and adjustment of life in the US after obtaining your residency status. If that were not the case, then the issue of driver's licenses, social security cards or employment rules and regulations would be disallowed as well as they are a far stretch from the topic of obtaining marriage-based visas.

Rete
Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:33 pm

Originally posted by Rete
Actually questions of this nature have been posted at least one a year for the last six years that the AVUMB newsgroup has been in existence.

It would appear that there are quite a few foreign spouses who want to enter the US military for any number of reasons, i.e. further their education at free if not reduced costs, quicker naturalization rules, adventure and the chance to travel, etc.

While it is not necessarily an immediate "how to get a green card/visa" question, there is much validity in the question as one's status, AOS in waiting, conditional PR or LPR, has direct bearing on the poster's ability to "join up."

The original purpose of starting the newsgroup was to help others through the entire process of marriage-based visas and that included the living and adjustment of life in the US after obtaining your residency status. If that were not the case, then the issue of driver's licenses, social security cards or employment rules and regulations would be disallowed as well as they are a far stretch from the topic of obtaining marriage-based visas.

Rete

Big thanks to our Moderator, Rete.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Big thanks to our Moderator, Rete.

You're welcome.

If you were to do a google.group search of the alt.visa.us.marriage-based newsgroup (which is what you access when you post through BE) for the names Carole and/or her husband Pavel, you will find his experiences. He had to wait to become a US Citizen before joining the Air Force simply because he is a computer technican and wanted to continue is education and do this type of work for the Air Force. Because this type of assignment requires high security clearance (verified by my computer tech husband who built, designed and worked on aviation computers for the RCFA and the USAF and Navy for 36 yrs), Pavel held off joining the AF until he naturalized as he did not want to be assigned to any other area.

Your degrees, depending on what field they are in, might well place you in the same situation as Pavel ... needing high security clearance. BTW because of my husband's position, he was able to obtain that security clearance with the FBI/CIA/Interpol which allowed him to work for the US military while still a member of the Canadian AF. So that being the case, I would assume that if your field were such that your skills were highly sought after, then the exception of clearance could be made in your case, as well.

The best people to answer your questions regarding the military will be the military itself. You've done some ground work, then go to the source ;-)

Good Luck

Rete
Old Apr 28th 2004, 4:38 pm
Mrtravelkay

Sam Gordon wrote:

> Actually, from what I read, you cannot become an officer (i.e. enlist as
    > officer) unless you are a citizen.
    >

That is correct, although technically officers don't "enlist"

Old Apr 28th 2004, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by Rete

Rete
I shall consider myself told off.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year there was an interview on UK TV news with a guy in the US Army serving in Iraq.

He stated he had enlisted partly for the very reason, you can guess that the reporter was quite entrigued with finding an English accent is a US uniform.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 10:25 pm
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point

1) In my opinion either Navy or Air Force. I don't know whether they look at your degree when they place you. You have to get a good score on the ASWAB test. The people with the highest scores usually get a chance to work in the nuclear field, which is the hardest (US Navy).

2) I can tell you what I know. My husband is in the Navy (he's a recruiter) and it becomes part of your life whether you want it or not.
Enlisted and Officer ranks are different. As an enlisted member you climb the enlisted ranking, starting from Seaman/Airman/Private (E1) up to E9 - Master Chief Petty Officer/Sergeant Major etc. I do not know how advancing rank would be any different in case of not being a citizen though.

3) Usually 4 years. After that you decide whether to leave the service or re-enlist.

Note that when you join the military as a PR you don't have the same options as a citizen might (job-wise) due to security restrictions. A recruiter also normally cannot guarantee you a specific job as this is determined later in the process of joining.

My husband occasionally writes on a military forum: http://usmilitary.about.com/mpboards.htm
It's pretty informative so you might wanna check that out.

Last edited by Marjeta; Apr 28th 2004 at 10:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.