Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

In US on L1-A, but employer wants to pull me back. Options??

In US on L1-A, but employer wants to pull me back. Options??

Old May 1st 2006, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

i_york is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In US on L1-A, but employer wants to pull me back. Options??

I'm a British citizen, but have been working in NYC for the last 18-months on an L1-A visa. I'd like to stay in the US but, frustratingly, my employer wants me back in the UK by June 1. I haven't been on US soil long enough to apply for a GC, so that's not an option. However, since I've been here, I've been living with my girlfriend who is a USC. If we decided to get engaged, is there anyway I could quit my job and remain in the US? If so, how long would I likely be out-of-work until the EAD arrives? Another option I had thought of was porting to an EB-1(C), but does that category enable me to change jobs?

Any advice on the best path for me to take and the likely timelines involved would be appreciated.
Old May 1st 2006, 4:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In US on L1-A, but employer wants to pull me back. Options??

Originally Posted by i_york
I'm a British citizen, but have been working in NYC for the last 18-months on an L1-A visa. I'd like to stay in the US but, frustratingly, my employer wants me back in the UK by June 1. I haven't been on US soil long enough to apply for a GC, so that's not an option. However, since I've been here, I've been living with my girlfriend who is a USC. If we decided to get engaged, is there anyway I could quit my job and remain in the US? If so, how long would I likely be out-of-work until the EAD arrives? Another option I had thought of was porting to an EB-1(C), but does that category enable me to change jobs?

Any advice on the best path for me to take and the likely timelines involved would be appreciated.

Getting engaged won't help you. Time to get hitched methinks!

Once you have your marriage certrificate you can adjust status, i.e. file I-485. Plus I-765 for the EAD, and some other form for Advance Parole if you want to travel before you get your GC.

Old May 1st 2006, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In US on L1-A, but employer wants to pull me back. Options??

Originally Posted by Elvira
Getting engaged won't help you. Time to get hitched methinks!

Once you have your marriage certrificate you can adjust status, i.e. file I-485. Plus I-765 for the EAD, and some other form for Advance Parole if you want to travel before you get your GC.

Ring time.

www.visajourney.com for the process, or USCIS site.

Can take 3 months to get EAD so time is pressing.

I am going to asume that anybody who gets here on a L has enough nouse to do the paperwork themselves, paper work is a bit painful, mainly tedious, but so is a Lawyers bill.