Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US to Fingerprint Visitors from Britain

US to Fingerprint Visitors from Britain

Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:34 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US to Fingerprint Visitors from Britain

Originally posted by weiser
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't mind immigrants coming to the U.S. However, we should be allowed to screen them first. Look at California's economy. They have the most illegal aliens. It doesn't seem to be helping their economy. There are 3 migrant farm laborers for every farm job in California. If one guy comes and gets takes a job, and then puts his 3 kids in public school, and gets some free medical treatment for the 5 of them, how is the U.S. economy benefiting?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to bitch & moan so much about the number of immigrants coming into the UK & making life harder & more expensive for the rest of us. So I can understand why the Americans are always moaning about the number of immigrants allowed into their country. Here in the UK we also have that problem but its not something that will stop, people are always going to want a better life for themselves & their families. Poor people from third world countries will emigrate legally or illegally it won't matter to them they will have nothing to loose & everything to gain. I myself am also trying to emigrate to the US as I want a better quality of life so I also understand why immigrants do all they can to get into the US or the UK or any other developed country. The US is not the only country where this is happening, its happening everywhere. What the American government is doing right now with the lenghy processing times is not right, it is playing with peoples lives & their families, hopes & dreams. Personally I do not think the photo taking, finger printing & FBI name checks is going to stop terrorism but if thats what they wish to do then fine but it only delays people wanting to legally enter the US, as for the illegals they don't care as long as they get in which they will one way or another.
I don't blame them for wanting to come here. However, if they let everyone in, then the U.S. would become no better than the countries these people are leaving.

Not all aliens are looking for a better life, some are looking to murder, steal, blow up buildings, and rape women, and children. The government owes it to the people to secure the border. If they can control illegal immigration, then they could absorb legal immigrants faster.

Just because people keep trying to break into your house, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to lock the door, and bar the windows.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

weiser is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree you cannot allow everyone in.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

I flew into Washington Dulles on Friday - the notices regarding laser fingerprints (of both index fingers) and a digital photo were for people with visas only NOT those travelling on visa waivers. It was done by the Immigration Officer at the usual desk and was taking all of a minute to do - very quick and simple procedure. I was travelling on Advance Parole and didn't want my fingerprints or photo.

I really can't see what all the fuss is about.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:37 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I do think it's something that should be agreed between ALL countries, not the US only. We in the UK should start doing it too, so should all VW countries, and Australia, Canada etc, and the US should be doing it to Canadians and Mexicans. The US cannot stand alone and pick and choose which countries this new rule applies to.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally posted by Squirrel
I do think it's something that should be agreed between ALL countries, not the US only. We in the UK should start doing it too, so should all VW countries, and Australia, Canada etc, and the US should be doing it to Canadians and Mexicans. The US cannot stand alone and pick and choose which countries this new rule applies to.
I would imagine that the US can do exactly what they please to try to make their country a safer place. Again, what is the big deal.

Last edited by AlisonPA; Apr 5th 2004 at 2:33 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

The US knows which citizens of which countries break the laws the most -- and they have the right to implement their policies accordingly.

-= nav =-
Old Apr 6th 2004, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

drvr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Two were on the watch list but the intel did not
"come up the ranks".

Yeah, 19 TERRORISTS, not 19 minor criminals or immigration violators. The 9/11 terrorists had no criminal records or immigration violations in the US so how would these new laws have caught them?
Old Apr 6th 2004, 2:11 pm
Tim Hortons' Addict

WretchedMidget is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know how difficult this would be to do to Canadians? Many, many people simply drive across the border once every month (or more) to do a day of shopping in the US, or for business meetings in a city right across the border (e.g. Detroit). This is really due to the ability to simply drive across a border, and sit in your car and answer a few questions (and sometimes not even have to show ID) posed by a customs officer. It takes probably about 30 seconds, if that, and then you're on your way. It's a convenience thing.

People, if fingerprinted and photographed, would likely still come visit family or take a vacation, but the frequent shopping or business trips might stop. Considering the number of people who do this on a regular basis, the border cities would lose a significant enough amount of business to really get on the government's case about the policy. Then, eventually it would likely get changed back so that Canadians and Mexicans are free to go across again without any of that.

I'm personally not against it, and don't think it would cause any major problems, but just looking at it from that perspective, I can see why Canada/Mexico would be exceptions to it.