Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US to Fingerprint Visitors from Britain

US to Fingerprint Visitors from Britain

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US to Fingerprint Visitors from Britain

geez.. I hope you've all seen this

U.S. to Fingerprint More Foreigners
2 minutes ago

Add White House - AP Cabinet & State to My Yahoo!

By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A program requiring foreigners to be fingerprinted and photographed before entering the country is being expanded to include millions of travelers from some of America's closest allies, U.S. officials said Friday.

Reuters Photo

The move affects citizens in 27 countries � including Britain, Japan and Australia � who had been allowed to travel within the United States without a visa for up to 90 days, according to the Homeland Security Department.

Under changes in the US-VISIT program that will take effect by Sept. 30, they will be fingerprinted and photographed when they enter through any of 115 international airports and 14 seaports. There are no changes in unique rules covering visits by Canadians and Mexicans.

The Bush administration made the move after determining most of the so-called "visa-waiver countries" won't meet an October deadline to have biometric passports, said Asa Hutchinson, undersecretary for border and transportation security. Such passports include fingerprint and iris identification features that make the documents virtually impossible to counterfeit.

Citizens from those countries still won't have to go through the consulate interviews, background checks, fingerprinting and photographing that people from other nations must do to obtain a visa.

The US-VISIT program was passed by Congress in response to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. In January, the U.S. government began fingerprinting and photographing visitors from nations other than the visa-waiver countries.

About 5 million people have been processed so far and more than 200 with prior or suspected criminal or immigration violations have been stopped, according to Homeland Security.

Hutchinson said adding the estimated 13 million annual visitors from visa-waiver countries should not create massive backlogs at airports and seaports. He said it takes only 23 seconds per person to take fingerprints and photos and check them against government files.

However, fingerprinting the visa-waiver citizens could have ramifications for Americans when they travel abroad. When US-VISIT began last winter, Brazil retaliated by requiring Americans visiting that country to be fingerprinted and photographed.

Hutchinson said he does not expect other countries will follow Brazil's example. He and other U.S. officials have been talking to their counterparts in the visa-waiver countries and told them their nations could be added to US-VISIT. None expressed strong reservations, he said.

"Our allies, they will see this as a good security measure," he said.

The visa-waiver countries are: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

___

On the Net:

Homeland Security: http://www.dhs.gov
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Kocourkov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US to Fingerprint Visitors from Britain

Brilliant! Treat tourists and business visitors like criminals! Kiss the tourism and convention industry goodbye. This whole thing is a farce, any dedicated terrorist group will simply send their lunatics over the southern border, which, as we know, is uncontrolled anyway.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 3:30 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kocourkov
Brilliant! Treat tourists and business visitors like criminals! Kiss the tourism and convention industry goodbye. This whole thing is a farce, any dedicated terrorist group will simply send their lunatics over the southern border, which, as we know, is uncontrolled anyway.
Richard Reed was busted with his nice UK passport, and a shoe full of plastic explosives. Zacharias Moussaoui had a French passport. Belgium loses truckloads of blank passports. People are playing arts and crafts and switching photos in UK passports like crazy.

The terrorists have been coming through the ports of entry so far. There's no reason not to close that hole, and then strenghten the southern border.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jaytee
geez.. I hope you've all seen this

U.S. to Fingerprint More Foreigners
2 minutes ago

Add White House - AP Cabinet & State to My Yahoo!

By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A program requiring foreigners to be fingerprinted and photographed before entering the country is being expanded to include millions of travelers from some of America's closest allies, U.S. officials said Friday.

Reuters Photo

The move affects citizens in 27 countries � including Britain, Japan and Australia � who had been allowed to travel within the United States without a visa for up to 90 days, according to the Homeland Security Department.

Under changes in the US-VISIT program that will take effect by Sept. 30, they will be fingerprinted and photographed when they enter through any of 115 international airports and 14 seaports. There are no changes in unique rules covering visits by Canadians and Mexicans.

The Bush administration made the move after determining most of the so-called "visa-waiver countries" won't meet an October deadline to have biometric passports, said Asa Hutchinson, undersecretary for border and transportation security. Such passports include fingerprint and iris identification features that make the documents virtually impossible to counterfeit.

Citizens from those countries still won't have to go through the consulate interviews, background checks, fingerprinting and photographing that people from other nations must do to obtain a visa.

The US-VISIT program was passed by Congress in response to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. In January, the U.S. government began fingerprinting and photographing visitors from nations other than the visa-waiver countries.

About 5 million people have been processed so far and more than 200 with prior or suspected criminal or immigration violations have been stopped, according to Homeland Security.

Hutchinson said adding the estimated 13 million annual visitors from visa-waiver countries should not create massive backlogs at airports and seaports. He said it takes only 23 seconds per person to take fingerprints and photos and check them against government files.

However, fingerprinting the visa-waiver citizens could have ramifications for Americans when they travel abroad. When US-VISIT began last winter, Brazil retaliated by requiring Americans visiting that country to be fingerprinted and photographed.

Hutchinson said he does not expect other countries will follow Brazil's example. He and other U.S. officials have been talking to their counterparts in the visa-waiver countries and told them their nations could be added to US-VISIT. None expressed strong reservations, he said.

"Our allies, they will see this as a good security measure," he said.

The visa-waiver countries are: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

___

On the Net:

Homeland Security: http://www.dhs.gov

Wow 200 minor criminals or immigration violators found out of 5 million and no terrorists! Catch rate of 0.00004. It was really worth it!
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

>Wow 200 minor criminals or immigration violators found out of 5 >million

It only takes 19 to take down a whole building.

We don't really need you. We got enough mexicans, japanese, canadians and indians comin' in as it is. Wah Wah Wah.

-= nav =-
Old Apr 4th 2004, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Kocourkov is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by supernav
We don't really need you. We got enough mexicans, japanese, canadians and indians comin' in as it is.

-= nav =-
Actually, you don't. University applications are way down this year, and you're pissing off the rest of the world. 200 minor violations are simply not worth it. It's a feel-good measure to make it look like Chimpy is actually doing something. He's not. Spain gets hit, they track people down. The US gets hit and.... the government is busy arresting guys who played paintball.

A database of law-abiding pissed-off tourists is a database of law-abiding pissed-off tourists. If you treat them like dirt, they won't come back. Tourism dollars will vanish. I know at least ten people who've cancelled summer vacation plans because of this and the visa scare.

Like I said, why not start policing the southern border of the US, which is where any intelligent never do well is going to send someone through anyway.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by supernav

It only takes 19 to take down a whole building.

We don't really need you. We got enough mexicans, japanese, canadians and indians comin' in as it is. Wah Wah Wah.

-= nav =-
Yeah, 19 TERRORISTS, not 19 minor criminals or immigration violators. The 9/11 terrorists had no criminal records or immigration violations in the US so how would these new laws have caught them?
Old Apr 4th 2004, 6:05 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Squirrel
Yeah, 19 TERRORISTS, not 19 minor criminals or immigration violators. The 9/11 terrorists had no criminal records or immigration violations in the US so how would these new laws have caught them?
"The 9/11 terrorists had no criminal records or immigration violations in the US so how would these new laws have caught them?"

That's garbage. Atta violated his status, and didn't have the proper visa to reenter the U.S. Lax enforcement allowed him to reenter.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 6:08 am
crg
American Expat

Originally posted by Kocourkov
Actually, you don't. University applications are way down this year, and you're pissing off the rest of the world. 200 minor violations are simply not worth it. It's a feel-good measure to make it look like Chimpy is actually doing something. He's not. Spain gets hit, they track people down. The US gets hit and.... the government is busy arresting guys who played paintball.

A database of law-abiding pissed-off tourists is a database of law-abiding pissed-off tourists. If you treat them like dirt, they won't come back. Tourism dollars will vanish. I know at least ten people who've cancelled summer vacation plans because of this and the visa scare.

Like I said, why not start policing the southern border of the US, which is where any intelligent never do well is going to send someone through anyway.
"University applications are way down this year, and you're pissing off the rest of the world."

Students never leave. They just stay to take our jobs anyway. Way too many are here on scholarships. If they don't come, then more Americans can get the scholarships, and the jobs. Also, many students never showed up for school, and just started working, or looking for crack whores to set up fake marriages with, and then stay in the U.S. It sounds good to me.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 12:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion what is the big deal?

If I were to travel to a foreign country and they wanted to photo and print me at entry, I would not think twice. It is their right to know who is entering their country. After all it is not a free world and the world as we know it is in a state of violent unrest. Every country, yours and mine and theirs, has the right to know who they are giving the privilege of visitorship to.

Rete
Old Apr 4th 2004, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

This forum is FULL of F1 students wanting to marry, or get H1B's, L1B's, etc. etc.

Since when did it become the US's responsibility to guarantee JOBS and EDUCATION to everyone on the planet?

American Citizens create American rules. Don't like it -- don't come.

Send a postcard.

-= nav =-
Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

Atta violated his status, and didn't have the proper visa to reenter the U.S. Lax enforcement allowed him to reenter.
Let's hope 'lax enforcement' doesn't happen again despite all the new measures shall we?
Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

weiser is an unknown quantity at this point

This forum is FULL of F1 students wanting to marry, or get H1B's, L1B's, etc. etc.

Since when did it become the US's responsibility to guarantee JOBS and EDUCATION to everyone on the planet?

American Citizens create American rules. Don't like it -- don't come.

I say allow more immigrants into the US that way the American economy will be healthier, don't you agree NAV?
Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:22 am
crg
American Expat

[i]
I say allow more immigrants into the US that way the American economy will be healthier, don't you agree NAV?
I don't mind immigrants coming to the U.S. However, we should be allowed to screen them first. Look at California's economy. They have the most illegal aliens. It doesn't seem to be helping their economy. There are 3 migrant farm laborers for every farm job in California. If one guy comes and gets takes a job, and then puts his 3 kids in public school, and gets some free medical treatment for the 5 of them, how is the U.S. economy benefiting?
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

weiser is an unknown quantity at this point

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't mind immigrants coming to the U.S. However, we should be allowed to screen them first. Look at California's economy. They have the most illegal aliens. It doesn't seem to be helping their economy. There are 3 migrant farm laborers for every farm job in California. If one guy comes and gets takes a job, and then puts his 3 kids in public school, and gets some free medical treatment for the 5 of them, how is the U.S. economy benefiting?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to bitch & moan so much about the number of immigrants coming into the UK & making life harder & more expensive for the rest of us. So I can understand why the Americans are always moaning about the number of immigrants allowed into their country. Here in the UK we also have that problem but its not something that will stop, people are always going to want a better life for themselves & their families. Poor people from third world countries will emigrate legally or illegally it won't matter to them they will have nothing to loose & everything to gain. I myself am also trying to emigrate to the US as I want a better quality of life so I also understand why immigrants do all they can to get into the US or the UK or any other developed country. The US is not the only country where this is happening, its happening everywhere. What the American government is doing right now with the lenghy processing times is not right, it is playing with peoples lives & their families, hopes & dreams. Personally I do not think the photo taking, finger printing & FBI name checks is going to stop terrorism but if thats what they wish to do then fine but it only delays people wanting to legally enter the US, as for the illegals they don't care as long as they get in which they will one way or another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.