urgent - Visa waiver + H1B

Old May 6th 2006, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Endeavour2 has a spectacular aura aboutEndeavour2 has a spectacular aura aboutEndeavour2 has a spectacular aura about
Default urgent - Visa waiver + H1B

Hi all,

I have a very urgent question - I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me an answer before the end of Sunday...

If my employer enters an H1B visa application for me this year for the 2007 quota, I cannot enter the US on that visa until October 1st (-10 days). However, can I still enter the US under the visa waiver scheme on the basis that I absolutely intend to leave again and still have ties (spouse, home, job etc) in the UK?

Theoretical example: Employer puts in H1B for 2007 quote on June 1st. I enter the US on June 30th on a visa waiver scheme. I leave the US a few weeks later. During that time I have not worked for the employer who is sponsoring my H1B. I then reenter the US on October 1st on the H1B.

I've read up on this and I believe there's no reason why I can't do that, especially if I can prove my family and ties remain in the UK when I enter on the visa waiver. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 6th 2006, 4:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: urgent - Visa waiver + H1B

Originally Posted by Endeavour2
Hi all,

I have a very urgent question - I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me an answer before the end of Sunday...

If my employer enters an H1B visa application for me this year for the 2007 quota, I cannot enter the US on that visa until October 1st (-10 days). However, can I still enter the US under the visa waiver scheme on the basis that I absolutely intend to leave again and still have ties (spouse, home, job etc) in the UK?

Theoretical example: Employer puts in H1B for 2007 quote on June 1st. I enter the US on June 30th on a visa waiver scheme. I leave the US a few weeks later. During that time I have not worked for the employer who is sponsoring my H1B. I then reenter the US on October 1st on the H1B.

I've read up on this and I believe there's no reason why I can't do that, especially if I can prove my family and ties remain in the UK when I enter on the visa waiver. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks in advance.
I am not a lawyer and do not wish to give legal advice. All I can say that my husband entered the US on the VWP after his future employer had submitted the H1b paperwork. He did not have any problems, but your mileage may vary.
Old May 7th 2006, 10:32 am
J. J. Farrell

Endeavour2 wrote:
    > If my employer enters an H1B visa application for me this year for the
    > 2007 quota, I cannot enter the US on that visa until October 1st (-10
    > days). However, can I still enter the US under the visa waiver scheme on
    > the basis that I absolutely intend to leave again and still have ties
    > (spouse, home, job etc) in the UK?
    > Theoretical example: Employer puts in H1B for 2007 quote on June 1st. I
    > enter the US on June 30th on a visa waiver scheme. I leave the US a few
    > weeks later. During that time I have not worked for the employer who is
    > sponsoring my H1B. I then reenter the US on October 1st on the H1B.
    > I've read up on this and I believe there's no reason why I can't do
    > that, especially if I can prove my family and ties remain in the UK when
    > I enter on the visa waiver. Can anyone clarify?

Perfectly legal. Make sure you carry good evidence that you will leave
after the waiver entry, but I wouldn't expect that you'll need to show
it.

Old May 7th 2006, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Endeavour2 has a spectacular aura aboutEndeavour2 has a spectacular aura aboutEndeavour2 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to both of you. Out of interest, apart from having a return ticket to leave the US, what other evidence should I bring to show I intend to leave again?

I can think of lots of things that demonstrate ties to the UK (my business, my family, my home etc) but I can't think of how I'd actually bring evidence or proof of that. Worst case, if I was asked, would it be enough to tell the immigration official to call my family in the UK to prove they are still there?
Old May 7th 2006, 1:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Endeavour2
Thanks to both of you. Out of interest, apart from having a return ticket to leave the US, what other evidence should I bring to show I intend to leave again?

I can think of lots of things that demonstrate ties to the UK (my business, my family, my home etc) but I can't think of how I'd actually bring evidence or proof of that. Worst case, if I was asked, would it be enough to tell the immigration official to call my family in the UK to prove they are still there?

Regarding evidence, I don't know. My DH only had his return ticket and evidence of the purpose of his trip to the US, and he had no problems. I suppose you could take recent salary, slips, bank statement and utility bills.