Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

URGENT! Questions on Post-Citizenship Interview

URGENT! Questions on Post-Citizenship Interview

Old Apr 28th 2002, 6:00 pm
Daniel Chen

Default URGENT! Questions on Post-Citizenship Interview

I reported here several weeks that I will have a citizenship interview May
8. I asked the local INS in Pittsburgh and was told that ceremony would not
take place same day. I will travel outside of the U.S. to Singapore May 11
for two weeks.

I noticed that on N-455 notification for oath ceremony, there will be question like
"have you traveled outside of the U.S. after your interview?".

My question is: Why INS asks this kind of question? What's the purpose? If my travel
outside the U.S. will affect my being granted U.S. citizenship at the ceremony? Need
your input and advice please. For response please also copy me at [email protected].

THANKS.

Old Apr 28th 2002, 6:30 pm
Riri

Default Re: URGENT! Questions on Post-Citizenship Interview

My input and advice: just say the truth! You become citizen at the Oath ceremony not
at the interview. So if in between the two events (which could be a long time, up to
1 year I think) you do something that might jeopardize the requirements to become
citizen or your status changes (i.e. you become a widow/widower, you commit a crime)
INS has the right to ask you. In your case nothing changes! Note that they even ask
you if you had a traffic violation too!

R "Daniel Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I reported here several weeks that I will have a citizenship interview May
    > 8. I asked the local INS in Pittsburgh and was told that ceremony would
not
    > take place same day. I will travel outside of the U.S. to Singapore May 11 for
    > two weeks.
    >
    > I noticed that on N-455 notification for oath ceremony, there will be question like
    > "have you traveled outside of the U.S. after your
interview?".
    >
    > My question is: Why INS asks this kind of question? What's the purpose? If my
    > travel outside the U.S. will affect my being granted U.S. citizenship
at
    > the ceremony? Need your input and advice please. For response please also copy me
    > at [email protected].
    >
    > THANKS.
    >
    >