INS Frustrations

Old Apr 24th 2002, 5:40 pm
Fiona

Default INS Frustrations

Hi.

I am a British Citizen and received my K-1 visa in September 2001. I moved to New
York and Married in October. My husband is wonderful and we are so very happy.

I have found dealing with this immigration issue far far more frustrating now i am
here. The INS in NY are aggressive, uninformed and rude. The situation is not helped
by my growing anger with the process!

My work authorisation ran out in Deceber shortly before Xmas as it is only for 3
months and finally tomorrow (April 25th) i have an appointment with the INS for the
new work authorisation. I know security has been tightened since Sept 11th and the
INS is under scrutiny, but been unable to work has left me bored angry and frustrated
with the whole process. It truly is a never ending saga!

I am crossing my fingers that tomorrow the work authorisation will come through and i
can finally get on with starting my career and relieve some of the finacial pressure
this mess has given us.

How much longer will it be until i have my Green Card and the whole thing is over? (I
know in reality it will start again 2yrs after our wedding!)

Old Apr 24th 2002, 7:10 pm
Michael Voight

Default Re: INS Frustrations

Fiona wrote:

> How much longer will it be until i have my Green Card and the whole thing is over?
    > (I know in reality it will start again 2yrs after our wedding!)

Nothing is going to happen 2 years after the wedding. If married less than 2 years
after AOS is granted, then you file I-751 90 days or less before the second
anniversary of the AOS, not the wedding.

Old Apr 24th 2002, 11:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

New York City INS is the pits. However, there are some good people there and some helpful ones as well. Ask me, I know from experience.

Your AOS interview will be scheduled for anywhere from 14 to 21 months after filing. They tend to be around 14 to 16 months with the odd one out going to 21 (us for instance).

Yes you will get your EAD tomorrow and it will (or should be) good from the date of the appointment letter they sent you and not the date you actually get it. Sorry but that is the way of things down there unless things have changed for the better.

As for security it is no better or worse than it was before.

Did you apply for advance parole? If you are planning on traveling anytime within the next year, my suggestion is to file for it now and get it over with.

Also don't lose that little cash register receipt they sent you. You will need it for the A/P.

Rita
Old Apr 25th 2002, 4:40 am
Andrew Defaria

Fiona wrote:

> I have found dealing with this immigration issue far far more frustrating now i am
    > here. The INS in NY are aggressive, uninformed and rude.

*People* in NY are aggressive, often uninformed and rude! You expect the INS to be
much different than the local populace?

Old Apr 26th 2002, 8:10 pm
Fiona

So here is the update:

I spent a very very long 9hrs at the INS in NYC yesterday. But i can call the day a
success as i managed to get my EAD and my advanced parole.

The EAD was processed promptly but the advanced parole kept me waiting for around
7+hrs!! Unbelievable!

My day was only saved by finding out the House of Reps voted to Abolish this
uneffectively badly run agency. Lets hope something better can come in its place!!

[email protected] (Fiona) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi.
    >
    > I am a British Citizen and received my K-1 visa in September 2001. I moved to New
    > York and Married in October. My husband is wonderful and we are so very happy.
    >
    > I have found dealing with this immigration issue far far more frustrating now i am
    > here. The INS in NY are aggressive, uninformed and rude. The situation is not
    > helped by my growing anger with the process!
    >
    > My work authorisation ran out in Deceber shortly before Xmas as it is only for 3
    > months and finally tomorrow (April 25th) i have an appointment with the INS for the
    > new work authorisation. I know security has been tightened since Sept 11th and the
    > INS is under scrutiny, but been unable to work has left me bored angry and
    > frustrated with the whole process. It truly is a never ending saga!
    >
    > I am crossing my fingers that tomorrow the work authorisation will come through and
    > i can finally get on with starting my career and relieve some of the finacial
    > pressure this mess has given us.
    >
    > How much longer will it be until i have my Green Card and the whole thing is over?
    > (I know in reality it will start again 2yrs after our wedding!)

Old Apr 26th 2002, 9:40 pm
Andrew Defaria

Fiona wrote:

> The EAD was processed promptly but the advanced parole kept me waiting for around
    > 7+hrs!! Unbelievable!

Yes it is. Normally it takes weeks to months. Count yourself lucky!

> My day was only saved by finding out the House of Reps voted to Abolish this
    > uneffectively badly run agency. Lets hope something better can come in its place!!

They are replacing it with the same thing! Just spliting up the current organization.
This is a reorg not a replacement! It's intended to put forth the illusion of change
wihtout really changing anything.

Old Apr 27th 2002, 10:10 am
Jb

Fiona wrote:
    >
    > So here is the update:
    >
[ ... ]
    > My day was only saved by finding out the House of Reps voted to Abolish this
    > uneffectively badly run agency. Lets hope something better can come in its place!!

I've read this several times in the newsgroup now and just cannot believe it. When
has a US government agency ever been abolished? Some have mutated perhaps (Dept of
War?), but I can't believe that the INS is going to just disappear. Impossible.

I haven't read any print or web story about this yet. Is it being reported
incorrectly or particularly badly?

Old Apr 27th 2002, 10:40 am
Michael Voight

jb wrote:

> Fiona wrote:
    > >
    > > So here is the update:
    > >
    > [ ... ]
    > > My day was only saved by finding out the House of Reps voted to Abolish this
    > > uneffectively badly run agency. Lets hope something better can come in its
    > > place!!
    >
    > I've read this several times in the newsgroup now and just cannot believe it. When
    > has a US government agency ever been abolished? Some have mutated perhaps (Dept of
    > War?), but I can't believe that the INS is going to just disappear. Impossible.
    >
    > I haven't read any print or web story about this yet. Is it being reported
    > incorrectly or particularly badly?

The House voted 405-9 to abolish INS and REPLACE it with 2 agencies. One would be
responsible for immigration, the other would handle securing the border. It is an
interesting topic since if you enter illegally now, you can later become legal, or at
least past history shows this.

Old Apr 27th 2002, 4:40 pm
Andrew Defaria

Michael Voight wrote:

> The House voted 405-9 to abolish INS and REPLACE it with 2 agencies. One would be
    > responsible for immigration, the other would handle securing the border. It is an
    > interesting topic since if you enter illegally now, you can later become legal, or
    > at least past history shows this.
    >
The word abolish here is just political double speak. If the INS was to be abolished
and truly replaced it would be effectively redone from top to bottom. In reality it's
not being abolished nor replaced, INS employees will keep their jobs and the same
faces will be doing the same things largely. All that's happening is that they will
be split, divided into two separate agencies. This is not unlike say the HP/Agilent
split. HP did not go out of existance for one second. Everybody kept their jobs, some
just got a new company name.

I fail to see how this will really help in the long run. As we all know communication
between two different agenies in the government is usually very poor. Just the mere
renaming of offices or building can easily cause people in the two different areas to
shutdown communication as far as government agencies are concerned. And these two
branches will need to communicate with each other at times.

Or do people really believe that the mere separating of these two functions will
somehow magically improve them? We all bitch about how the services side doesn't get
enough funding and the border patrol gets all the money (which is sometimes true and
sometimes not so true). While simply separating these two functions may expose their
budgets nothing will improve, servicewise, unless they are given more money and/or
permission to come out of the stone age with respect to data processing and
procedures and the like. Perhaps being separate from enforcement will allow their
procedures to change since the legal emphasis may not be as strict. However I believe
that old habits die hard and essentially nothing will change except inter agency
communications will become less efficient.

Old Apr 28th 2002, 7:10 pm
Fiona

In reply to this comment the processing of my advanced parole was barely this simple.

I filed in late october and they rejected my application incorrectly: based on that i
hadn't a case pending with the INS. They insisted i come to the office and that this
was the only was to resolve the issue. They actually wanted me to re-file and re-pay.
This of course was unacceptable service.

So finally after 7hrs they decided i was being reasonable.

Actually you can simply go to an INS office and file and receive the same day. Plenty
of people were doing that in NYC

Andrew DeFaria <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Fiona wrote:
    >
    > > The EAD was processed promptly but the advanced parole kept me waiting for around
    > > 7+hrs!! Unbelievable!
    >
    > Yes it is. Normally it takes weeks to months. Count yourself lucky!
    >
    > > My day was only saved by finding out the House of Reps voted to Abolish this
    > > uneffectively badly run agency. Lets hope something better can come in its
    > > place!!
    >
    > They are replacing it with the same thing! Just spliting up the current
    > organization. This is a reorg not a replacement! It's intended to put forth the
    > illusion of change wihtout really changing anything.