Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK - US... What about my Other Half?

UK - US... What about my Other Half?

Old Aug 16th 2010, 10:55 am
Just Joined

KatieR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK - US... What about my Other Half?

Hello everyone!

I am a giant newbie to this site and have been reading this forum for well over an hour now so have decided its time to post.

Background info - I am 25 and I spent the majority of my youth going backwards and forwards from the states as my dad had several business ties out there. I have a Degree in science and will very soon also have a PGCE in Physics. I have a boyfriend of several years who is, in terms of immigration around the world, an old timer at the tender age of 33 (!!)

I have recently been out in the states and I met up with a principle at a high school in NE Florida who seems very keen to offer me a place next year as his current physics teacher is retiring and there are very few physics teachers available around that area. I believe I have to take test and register and things but basically they would sponsor me to work over there. Its pretty rural and out of the way but it is the sort of Florida i am used to i'm really not just in love with Orlando The job also comes with pretty good medical insurance and things so that is one less thing to think about

The main issue for me at the mo. is my Boyfriend. He gets very jittery when the M word is mentioned (marriage ) but as we have no legal ties what options would be open to him in terms of coming with me? He is under the impression that he will just be able to nip to canada or mexico every few months to get a new visa but im pretty sure it doesnt work like that! Also i'm not as excited about him being a kept man as he is! lol

Could he apply for work once we are out there? Could he have an Ebay business or something like that from the UK and just come and go on the visa waiver program? He doesnt have a degree - will this hinder him?

So many questions to ask and so many forms to fill in!! Just very glad i have 12 months to figure it all out (altho from reading this forum that may not be long enough!?)

Thanks for reading, sorry it was such a mamoth first post! Any advice you could give me would be fab!

Katie x
Old Aug 16th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - US... What about my Other Half?

Originally Posted by KatieR
I have a boyfriend of several years who is, in terms of immigration around the world, an old timer at the tender age of 33 [...] He is under the impression that he will just be able to nip to canada or mexico every few months to get a new visa but im pretty sure it doesnt work like that!
Ah, the well-known visa run. Works in some countries but not the US I'm afraid.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Ah its as i thought!! I look forward to that "I told you so" later hehehe

Thanks for your reply!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... as we have no legal ties what options would be open to him in terms of coming with me?
Unless you two marry, he'll need to qualify for a visa on his own merits. Have him read http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified. If he can answer "yes" to any of the questions, he may be able to get a visa. If not... sorry, it's not going to happen.

Also i'm not as excited about him being a kept man as he is!
If you marry, you may not have a choice. On the assumption that you'd get an H-1B visa, he would get an H-4 visa - and you are not allowed to work on an H-4 visa... ever!

Could he have an Ebay business or something like that from the UK and just come and go on the visa waiver program?
He can not work on the VWP, even if it's online.

He doesnt have a degree - will this hinder him?
I'm afraid it will, yes. That said, he might qualify for an F-1 student visa... if he can afford it.

Ian
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah its as i thought!! I look forward to that "I told you so" later hehehe

Thanks for your reply!
If you guys have been cohabitating in the UK, and can prove it, there's a chance he could get a "cohabitating B visa", which would give him 6 months at a time in the USA. But again, he wouldn't be able to work.

Rene
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

The main issue for me at the mo. is my Boyfriend. He gets very jittery when the M word is mentioned (marriage ) but as we have no legal ties what options would be open to him in terms of coming with me? He is under the impression that he will just be able to nip to canada or mexico every few months to get a new visa but im pretty sure it doesnt work like that! Also i'm not as excited about him being a kept man as he is! lol

Could he apply for work once we are out there? Could he have an Ebay business or something like that from the UK and just come and go on the visa waiver program? He doesnt have a degree - will this hinder him?
Not so soon. Kept man is what he will be !!! No degree, cannot commit, cannot just do mexico/canada visa runs. The closest British protectorate from florida is Cayman Islands. But again, no degree makes it difficult to even to work in non-intellect types jobs.

VWP, If I am not to sure, means more number of days out than in US. I infer, maybe wrongly so, that he is currently in the labor pool looking ?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Hello!
Thanks so much everyone for all of your help!

He has a couple of HND's and is a fully trained Music Studio Technition but for the past year has been working doing sales due to a lack of jobs in the music industry. So he is employed but the company he works for isnt international so he cant get in that way.

What i've been wondering is if he could get a company to sponsor him himself? So maybe interview for a job whilst on a holiday out there and then get in that way? I mean i was out there visiting and it was just a fluke i met the right person who could offer me a job.

With the 6month visa, if he came over and someone offered him a job would he have to come back to the uk to get everything sorted out? Would him having the no work visa and then getting a job offer break the terms of his visa? Even if he came back to the UK to apply for everything?

Urgh so many questions! You guys are an absolute mine of information! I really appreciate all of your help!

Katie x
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!
Thanks so much everyone for all of your help!

He has a couple of HND's and is a fully trained Music Studio Technition but for the past year has been working doing sales due to a lack of jobs in the music industry. So he is employed but the company he works for isnt international so he cant get in that way.

What i've been wondering is if he could get a company to sponsor him himself? So maybe interview for a job whilst on a holiday out there and then get in that way? I mean i was out there visiting and it was just a fluke i met the right person who could offer me a job.

With the 6month visa, if he came over and someone offered him a job would he have to come back to the uk to get everything sorted out? Would him having the no work visa and then getting a job offer break the terms of his visa? Even if he came back to the UK to apply for everything?

Urgh so many questions! You guys are an absolute mine of information! I really appreciate all of your help!

Katie x
Does NE Florida have a music industry?

He would need a degree, the job would require that degree. HND's would not cut it.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:47 am
Just Joined

ahhh Rubbish!

Gonna have to get that boy to University!! hehe

I had no idea how hard all this would be!!

Thanks again guys
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Has the school ever petitioned for H1B visas in the past? If not, perhaps it's a bit soon for you to make plans. It's quite common for US employers to say they'll take care of the visa, then back down when they realise how complicated and expensive the process is.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:47 am
Just Joined

I don't know actually! The head seemed to know quite a bit about it but it never crossed my mind to ask! I was just trying to figure out all I could about the process and what was involved.

It seems like it would be easier to move to the moon than to work in the US!!!

Thanks again for all your advice

Katie
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Marocco
Has the school ever petitioned for H1B visas in the past? If not, perhaps it's a bit soon for you to make plans. It's quite common for US employers to say they'll take care of the visa, then back down when they realise how complicated and expensive the process is.
Would the school do it or the Board ? In New York the BOCES tend to be the Administrative Unit responsible for such matters.

Why would you think a Company would sponsor him without any degree or deep experience ? Being your BF, I can understand your having a positive attribution towards his skills and knowledge, but in this job market no employer wants to spend thousands of dollars for what is essentially an entry level basic skills job.

Maybe its time you'll contemplated walking the aisle.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Haha! I know I probably am looking at him in a very positive light... I need to get mean!

If push came to shove he would just have to study over here for a year or two. He is a really bright guy but has always relied more on his music, street smarts and charm to make money unfortunately they don't have an immigration form for such skills haha

I have been in touch with the school regarding whether or not they have sponsored someone before and am still waiting for them to get back to me.

As for Wedding bells.... I wouldn't buy a hat just yet
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haha! I know I probably am looking at him in a very positive light... I need to get mean!

As for Wedding bells.... I wouldn't buy a hat just yet
A good chunk of youngsters who have come here from other branches of our enterprise's international operations; have shed puppy-love and taken up with, or found twinkle with persons locally Much to the chagrin of the love-lorn left behind.

Your affection/comittement will be tested in more than one ways if you move sans him/or the rock/band in your finger
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
I agree. Getting a visa seems like a long shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.