Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK Permanent Resident in USA - Green Card Issue

UK Permanent Resident in USA - Green Card Issue

Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:34 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Permanent Resident in USA - Green Card Issue

I have wondered this before. Once my 10 yr GC expires, what benefit is it to me to renew for $400 odd. Apart from the requirement to carry it, what is it for, since my PR status is not dependent on the validity of the card.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I have wondered this before. Once my 10 yr GC expires, what benefit is it to me to renew for $400 odd. Apart from the requirement to carry it, what is it for, since my PR status is not dependent on the validity of the card.
You'll probably have an easier time getting on a plane back to the US if your greencard is not expired.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You will struggle to prove your PR status (getting a job, drivers license, credit, etc) if you do not have a valid green card. And as someone else has said - you'll have real problems leaving the United States and re-entering as a permanent resident.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You will struggle to prove your PR status (getting a job, drivers license, credit, etc) if you do not have a valid green card. And as someone else has said - you'll have real problems leaving the United States and re-entering as a permanent resident.
I see your point, but I have hypothetically had a GC for 10 years and got the Job /DL/CC etc.
Is re-entering on an expired card a no-no, given that it indicates PR existed, and has not necessarily expired with the card?

I have a credit card that expires every few years, but I don't have to re-apply every time. They send a new one automatically.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I see your point, but I have hypothetically had a GC for 10 years and got the Job /DL/CC etc.
You wouldn't get a new job, and if your employer had to re-verify status you might not keep your existing one. Drivers license - if you lost your licence and had to replace it, or if you moved state - you might not get one. And so on.

Is re-entering on an expired card a no-no, given that it indicates PR existed, and has not necessarily expired with the card?
Problem is you wouldn't get on board a U.S. bound flight. Might possibly work on the land frontier, but likely with a lot of problems.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I have a credit card that expires every few years, but I don't have to re-apply every time. They send a new one automatically.
Not a good comparison. Of course credit card companies will send you new credit cards - they make money when you use them. A green card only makes money for the government when you pay to renew it.

Here's an article on GC renewal:

http://www.articlesbase.com/law-arti...rd-403725.html

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 17th 2013 at 4:52 am.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You wouldn't get a new job...
Why not? He doesn't need to prove his PR status to get a job... only his ability to work legally in the US - which he can do with a D/L and an unrestricted SS card.

... if your employer had to re-verify status you might not keep your existing one.
If he showed his GC as part of the documents to get the job, the employer is not allowed to reverify his credentials - indeed, they are specifically prohibited from doing so.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.
Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Not a good comparison. Of course credit card companies will send you new credit cards - they make money when you use them.
No. The fee for I-90 is established to cover only the cost of processing the application and producing the card. Neither loss nor profit.
A green card only makes money for the government when you pay to renew it.
Regards, JEff
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
No. The fee for I-90 is established to cover only the cost of processing the application and producing the card. Neither loss nor profit.

Regards, JEff
Who really knows if that is true? We often hear of immigration fees being used for other things.

My point was that they won't just send out a new green card for free because they would make a loss on that transaction (unlike credit card companies who know that sending out free renewals is a money maker overall even if some individuals rarely use them).
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:20 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The law requires that immigration be revenue neutral. The expenses are reviewed every few years and the fees adjusted accordingly. How accurate the accounting is could be open to question.

Regards, JEff

Who really knows if that is true?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:22 pm
BE Irregular

Not a good comparison. Of course credit card companies will send you new credit cards - they make money when you use them. A green card only makes money for the government when you pay to renew it.

Here's an article on GC renewal:

http://www.articlesbase.com/law-arti...rd-403725.html
Interesting article. It supports my thinking that renewal is simply an admin. exercise. More about potential headaches that would arise, than actually doing something wrong, or losing out on some benefit. Anyway it adds to my reasons to go for naturalization before it expires. Thanks to all who commented.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 1:50 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why not? He doesn't need to prove his PR status to get a job... only his ability to work legally in the US - which he can do with a D/L and an unrestricted SS card.
Correct - if he has these. However, if he has moved state to get new job, he may have a problem to get a new D/L without a GC.

If he showed his GC as part of the documents to get the job, the employer is not allowed to reverify his credentials - indeed, they are specifically prohibited from doing so.
What happens if there is a change of employer even though the job is unchanged (take-over, etc.)
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

Any particular reason why you haven't become a US citizen?
Emotional! Sounds almost silly (irrational) when I write that. I've been in the States almost 29yrs and have only just started thinking about citizenship. Who knows what motivates us!
Old May 16th 2013, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

martyfen is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone answer this question for me - I need to renew my son's green card, He's 21 and we all live in Chicago. Apparently as he has had it since he was 11, we were supposed to have got him a new one when he turned 14 ( according to the website) but this information was not given to us when we originally got our green cards and I have all my original paperwork.

Is this going to be a problem - he has been in and out of the US for vacations and never had any problems.

I would go straight to appying for his citizenship but trying to find out the dates we left the US for vacations and my parents illness is tortuous, easy finding out when he returned. Any suggestions please
Old May 16th 2013, 8:46 pm

Sounds like he needs to renew his own green card.
Originally Posted by martyfen
Can anyone answer this question for me - I need to renew my son's green card, He's 21 ...

What web site is "the website"?
Apparently as he has had it since he was 11, we were supposed to have got him a new one when he turned 14 ( according to the website) ...
The green card should have an expiration date on it - what is that date?

For what it's worth, my stepson was 6 when he got his green card in 2008. It would have expired and required renewal in 2018 (if he hadn't become a US citizen).
... but this information was not given to us when we originally got our green cards and I have all my original paperwork.
Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; May 16th 2013 at 8:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.