British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   UK Permanent Resident in USA - Green Card Issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/uk-permanent-resident-usa-green-card-issue-793912/)

derekg Apr 13th 2013 4:00 pm

UK Permanent Resident in USA - Green Card Issue

Hello,

From Scotland. Lived in USA since 1997. Married an American.

Got laid off from job in March. Discovered that my Green Card had expired in 2011. I have applied for a renewal. $600 and up to 90 days to fully process.

I am able to seek new employment?
I am in trouble for working for 2 years with an expired card?

Thank you

Derek

md95065 Apr 13th 2013 4:38 pm

Re: UK Permanent Resident in USA - Green Card Issue

Originally Posted by derekg (Post 10657702)
I am able to seek new employment?

Yes.

I am in trouble for working for 2 years with an expired card?
No. The card is just evidence of your status as a permanent resident - the card may have expired but your status has not.

MarylandNed Apr 13th 2013 5:09 pm

Any particular reason why you haven't become a US citizen?

civilservant Apr 13th 2013 6:21 pm

If he's unemployed, probably not having the $1000 it costs.

S Folinsky Apr 14th 2013 4:27 am

The card is not the same as status.

On the I-9, need not produce the I-551 card itself. A state picture ID and an unrestricted SSN card will do the trick.

MarylandNed Apr 14th 2013 8:28 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10657795)
If he's unemployed, probably not having the $1000 it costs.

He was laid off in March but he's been eligible to apply for US citizenship for years. And now he has to pay $450 to have the green card renewed.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-90instr.pdf

Also, the filing fee for a US citizenship application (N400) is $680 - not $1000.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

discoviking Apr 14th 2013 11:13 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10657735)

People have their reasons. I became a permanent resident in 1985, but did not become a USC until 2008, for reasons that were very valid to me and my particular situation.

Michael Apr 14th 2013 11:23 am

Originally Posted by discoviking (Post 10659034)
People have their reasons. I became a permanent resident in 1985, but did not become a USC until 2008, for reasons that were very valid to me and my particular situation.

My ex was in the US for over 25 years before she naturalized and claimed it was primarily because she didn't want to deal with INS anymore.

MarylandNed Apr 14th 2013 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by discoviking (Post 10659034)

I understand people have their different reasons. That's why I was asking the OP if he would care to share his.

MarylandNed Apr 14th 2013 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10659041)
My ex was in the US for over 25 years before she naturalized and claimed it was primarily because she didn't want to deal with INS anymore.

That was also a primary motivation for me. As a PR, I was once detained at Pearson airport in Toronto by US immigration (long story; my name was on a terror watch list) and told that green card holders had no automatic right to enter the US (unlike USC's). I wanted to stop that from ever happening again and I also wanted to be immune from the threat of deportation for whatever reason e.g. getting into trouble with the law through no fault of my own. I wanted my minor children to automatically acquire US citizenship whenever I naturalized. I also wanted to be able to vote.

derekg Apr 14th 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10657735)

Probably isn't the best reason but I just have not felt the need to do so. For personal reasons I am more open to the idea now!
So what are the pros and cons of doing so?

Hotscot Apr 14th 2013 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by derekg (Post 10659134)
Probably isn't the best reason but I just have not felt the need to do so. For personal reasons I am more open to the idea now!

Pro for me....
Coming and going from the US easily.
Certain employment requires citizenship.
Who knows what the political situation will be in the future and what conditions may apply to non citizens.

Con
Will need to do tax returns even when I move back to Scotland.

Noorah101 Apr 14th 2013 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by derekg (Post 10659134)

We have a Wiki Guide entry just for that! :)

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship

Rene

JAJ Apr 14th 2013 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10659123)
That was also a primary motivation for me. As a PR, I was once detained at Pearson airport in Toronto by US immigration (long story; my name was on a terror watch list) and told that green card holders had no automatic right to enter the US (unlike USC's).

Both true and false. Green card holders can have their status revoked, unlike U.S. citizens. However, (and this is important), immigration officers cannot revoke the status of a permanent resident. Only an Immigration Judge can do this.

There have been cases where people were told the same thing, and proceeded to voluntarily sign away permanent resident status when they might have been able to keep it if they had asserted their rights.

MarylandNed Apr 15th 2013 12:21 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 10659767)
Both true and false. Green card holders can have their status revoked, unlike U.S. citizens. However, (and this is important), immigration officers cannot revoke the status of a permanent resident. Only an Immigration Judge can do this.

There have been cases where people were told the same thing, and proceeded to voluntarily sign away permanent resident status when they might have been able to keep it if they had asserted their rights.

I talking about what is known as "inadmissibility". There are various reasons why someone can be deemed inadmissible when they try to enter the US. A US PR can be found inadmissible - a USC cannot. For example, if a PR leaves the US and develops a communicable disease (e.g. TB), they can be deemed inadmissible upon their return to the US. So removing these potential hassles is one benefit of becoming a USC.