UK passport requirements for VWP

Old May 21st 2009, 2:53 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK passport requirements for VWP

Hi folks,

I have been planning to come to the US for about 10 days at the beginning of July to visit a couple of friends and go to a wedding, returning to Australia on or about the 14th.

Unfortunately, my current UK passport expires on July 31st, and it has been brought to my attention that the VWP requires 6 months of valid passport beyond the date of departure from the US "unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions".

Can anybody tell me if the UK is covered by one of those country specific agreements, or if I am going to have to bite the bullet and order a (very costly it seems) new UK passport for this trip?

Annoyingly, I am almost eligible for an Australian passport, but am awaiting a citizenship ceremony and am in the hands of bureaucrats, which is unlikely to yield an Australian passport before the trip.

Thanks in advance,

S
Old May 21st 2009, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport requirements for VWP

IMHO you will have to pony up for the passport.
Do you have to get an Aussie passport as soon as you become a citizen?
Hopefully that ceromony won't be when you are off on your holidays
Old May 21st 2009, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Norri; May 21st 2009 at 5:49 am. Reason: Dupe for some reason
Old May 21st 2009, 7:21 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hi folks,

I have been planning to come to the US for about 10 days at the beginning of July to visit a couple of friends and go to a wedding, returning to Australia on or about the 14th.

Unfortunately, my current UK passport expires on July 31st, and it has been brought to my attention that the VWP requires 6 months of valid passport beyond the date of departure from the US "unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions".

Can anybody tell me if the UK is covered by one of those country specific agreements, or if I am going to have to bite the bullet and order a (very costly it seems) new UK passport for this trip?

Annoyingly, I am almost eligible for an Australian passport, but am awaiting a citizenship ceremony and am in the hands of bureaucrats, which is unlikely to yield an Australian passport before the trip.

Thanks in advance,

S
A UK passport is valid for traveling to and remaining in the US right up to the expiry date listed on it. It DOES NOT require six additional months.

Here is the list of countries indicating that the UK is on it:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/104770.pdf

Make sure that your passport meets the requirements of any country you will transit through on the way to the US.

Last edited by crg; May 21st 2009 at 7:25 pm.
Old May 21st 2009, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance,

S
Hi:

UK is one of those countries. However, do you have one of new "chip" passports? If your passport is expiring soon I have a feeling it is not one of those readable passports.
Old May 21st 2009, 8:25 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

UK is one of those countries. However, do you have one of new "chip" passports? If your passport is expiring soon I have a feeling it is not one of those readable passports.
That's a good point because lack of compliance with specific passport requirements have caused so many problems with VWP travel.

However, the chip isn't required for a UK passport that is so old.

It likely only needs an ICAO compliant machine readable zone.

If it was issued or renewed after Oct 26, 2005 it needs an integrated photo instead of an attached photo.

If issued October 26, 2006 or beyond then it needs the chip.

The OP can check the VWP Wizard web page to be certain:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...sa_wizard.html

Last edited by crg; May 21st 2009 at 8:28 pm.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:28 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
That's a good point because lack of compliance with specific passport requirements have caused so many problems with VWP travel.

However, the chip isn't required for a UK passport that is so old.

It likely only needs an ICAO compliant machine readable zone.

If it was issued or renewed after Oct 26, 2005 it needs an integrated photo instead of an attached photo.

If issued October 26, 2006 or beyond then it needs the chip.

The OP can check the VWP Wizard web page to be certain:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...sa_wizard.html

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice.

My passport was issued in 1999. I did the VWP wizard, and all looks good, so I think I will be ok.

Thanks again

S
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget ESTA