Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigrant Visa Interview in London - both of us or just beneficiary?

Immigrant Visa Interview in London - both of us or just beneficiary?

Old May 21st 2009, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

eduk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrant Visa Interview in London - both of us or just beneficiary?

Hi everyone

My wife (USC) and I (UKC) are coming up for the final stages of my application for conditional residency in the US. She has had to leave to return to the US already, leaving me in the UK awaiting notification of the interview date in London. We are wondering whether she will have to return to the UK to attend the interview at the embassy in London, or whether I can attend on my own?

Any views, recent experience welcome...

Thanks,

Ed
Old May 21st 2009, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrant Visa Interview in London - both of us or just beneficiary?

Originally Posted by eduk
We are wondering whether she will have to return to the UK to attend the interview at the embassy in London, or whether I can attend on my own?
You can attend on your own... she does not need to be present.

Ian
Old May 21st 2009, 1:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrant Visa Interview in London - both of us or just beneficiary?

E,

Interview in London? Sounds like what you're really applied for is an immigrant visa.

True, permanent resident status will follow automatically if you are granted entry to the USA after receiving the visa.

Regards, JEff

Hi everyone

My wife (USC) and I (UKC) are coming up for the final stages of my application for conditional residency in the US. She has had to leave to return to the US already, leaving me in the UK awaiting notification of the interview date in London. ...

Ed
Old May 21st 2009, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian.

I've heard mixed info about this - have been advised both that I can attend alone and that both petitioner and beneficiary will need to be present, so they can see the married couple together.

Jeff - I know that I've applied for an immigrant visa - since the visa category I've applied for is CR1 that's why I described it as an application for Conditional Residence status. Beyond correcting the terminology, do you have an opinion on whether my wife is likely to be required to attend the interview?

Ed
Old May 21st 2009, 3:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife is not required to attend your Immigrant Visa interview.

Rene
Old May 21st 2009, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Your wife is not required to attend your Immigrant Visa interview.

Rene
That's good news. One return flight saved!

Thanks
Old May 21st 2009, 3:24 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

E,

I concur with I and R - your wife is not required to attend the interview.

Regards, JEff

Jeff - I know that I've applied for an immigrant visa - since the visa category I've applied for is CR1 that's why I described it as an application for Conditional Residence status. Beyond correcting the terminology, do you have an opinion on whether my wife is likely to be required to attend the interview?

Ed
Old May 21st 2009, 4:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian.

I've heard mixed info about this - have been advised both that I can attend alone and that both petitioner and beneficiary will need to be present, so they can see the married couple together.

Ed
She is NOT required. Period, end of story, end of sentence, end of question

The spouse is only required to attend if it is the AOS interview within the US.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

I went on my own. No worries at all.