Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK Ltd Co. owner - options to relocate to the US?

UK Ltd Co. owner - options to relocate to the US?

Old Nov 11th 2023, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Porkpie74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Ltd Co. owner - options to relocate to the US?

I’m a Director and founder of a limited company in the UK. The company was established 8 years ago and has been profitable every year since. I’m now considering relocating to the US as I’ve done a couple deals with US customers in the past 12 months and would like to focus my business on the US customer base.

Has anyone had experience in doing this? I looked at the L1a visa but I don’t have offices in the US.

If anyone has experience and can offer some advice that would be great!
Old Nov 11th 2023, 11:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Ltd Co. owner - options to relocate to the US?

Originally Posted by Porkpie74
I’m a Director and founder of a limited company in the UK. The company was established 8 years ago and has been profitable every year since. I’m now considering relocating to the US as I’ve done a couple deals with US customers in the past 12 months and would like to focus my business on the US customer base.

Has anyone had experience in doing this? I looked at the L1a visa but I don’t have offices in the US.

US Immigration lawyers practicing in London can be found via this link

Quite a bit of information is needed to address your questions; information you have not provided.
Old Nov 11th 2023, 11:35 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I came via this path, the company I was a director of was in Ireland and the US parent company moved me. It’s not a big deal to be profitable (you could be making $1 profit) and I don’t believe it even a requirement. What is your turnover? And how many employees do you have? Who will run the UK company if you move?
Old Nov 15th 2023, 1:31 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Reading over your previous posts I think you are clutching at straws.
I'm sure there are business models that would enable you to move to the States but as mentioned. Not enough details in your question I'm afraid.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Porkpie74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by excpomea
Reading over your previous posts I think you are clutching at straws.
I'm sure there are business models that would enable you to move to the States but as mentioned. Not enough details in your question I'm afraid.
It’s only now that I have a successful business with US clients that I’m considering a move to maximise on the success of that.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 15th 2023 at 1:58 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 2:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It’s only now that I have a successful business with US clients that I’m considering a move to maximise on the success of that.
Your post has been edited, it's not ok to insult members who've simply asked for more info and tried to help you.

Quite a few forum members have been down this route and will be happy to share their experiences, we also have lots of pros that kindly give their time for free on the forums too. As above you do need employees and to have the UK business still running etc. So if you can give more info about your situation, then people will be happy to help again I'm sure.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that owners of companies in the UK could transfer themselves on an L1 if they opened an office in the US AND kept the UK business running.....
Old Nov 15th 2023, 7:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Your post has been edited, it's not ok to insult members who've simply asked for more info and tried to help you.

Quite a few forum members have been down this route and will be happy to share their experiences, we also have lots of pros that kindly give their time for free on the forums too. As above you do need employees and to have the UK business still running etc. So if you can give more info about your situation, then people will be happy to help again I'm sure.
Good post. That said, there are almost infinite permutations of facts that will support L-1A/EB-1 intracompany transfers. Hence my providing reference to legal counsel.

You are correct that the foreign business must remain in operation. Need for employees, it depends. Once had a case where an Asian manufacturer needed particular timber products from the US in multi-million dollars. They needed a one person purchasing office in the US for quality control and arranging shipping. No problem in doing the L-1. (It was a combination of L-1A and L-1B, but approved as L-1A).

Recall a referral I had from a colleague in business practice. Client sounded similar to OP in this thread. He had participated in the family owned business outside of the US. The business lawyer and I stet up a California corporation wholly owned by the foreign family owned corporation. L-1 approved. We did not inform former INS of the irrevocable proxy coupled with an interest.

As I mentioned, consultation with competent and knowledgeable immigration counsel is a good idea.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 9:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
You are correct that the foreign business must remain in operation. Need for employees, it depends.
If the UK side of the business needs to continue, then there must be employees surely? Unless it's going to be run by robots of course.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 11:24 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If the UK side of the business needs to continue, then there must be employees surely? Unless it's going to be run by robots of course.
A fair question. Inasmuch my posts are devoid of specific advice, I can see my language may not have been as precise as it could be. In the spirit of the infinite number of factual permutations, lets say OP was directing an enterprise located in Belfast. In addition, the enterprise has a location Dublin. A possible fact scenario would involve closing the Belfast location leaving no business in operation in the UK. The Dublin operation would leave the international aspect in existence.

Also, the concept of remote work may crank in.