Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK graduate wanting to move to USA- help!

UK graduate wanting to move to USA- help!

Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

want2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nice
Default UK graduate wanting to move to USA- help!

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are hoping to move to the USA when i graduate from a UK uni in 2011. He has a very good job in I.T working for a great international company who have offices worldwide so he would no problem transferring or being able to stay in America.

However, I have no idea how I will be able to get a VISA in the USA or any reason for the USA to give me a job when they have millions of their own graduates!!!

I do not have a set career in mind and will be open to most kinds of reasonable graduate level employment.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it so I can start thinking about us moving properly!

PS marriage is not the kind of advice I mean if that would help as that is something I would consider if it happened but am not going to use it as a means of securing moving out there!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:32 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK graduate wanting to move to USA- help!

Originally Posted by want2move2USA
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are hoping to move to the USA when i graduate from a UK uni in 2011. He has a very good job in I.T working for a great international company who have offices worldwide so he would no problem transferring or being able to stay in America.

However, I have no idea how I will be able to get a VISA in the USA or any reason for the USA to give me a job when they have millions of their own graduates!!!

I do not have a set career in mind and will be open to most kinds of reasonable graduate level employment.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it so I can start thinking about us moving properly!

PS marriage is not the kind of advice I mean if that would help as that is something I would consider if it happened but am not going to use it as a means of securing moving out there!
Read THIS. If you don't meet any of the criteria there, then marriage is probably your only choice so that you can get a derivative visa from him.

BTW, just because he has a great job in an international company, it's not a slam dunk that he will be able to transfer and stay.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage may indeed not be the kind of advice you want. But if your goal is to move to the US with your bf, it's the most sensible advice you'll hear.

Anyway assuming not, you'll have to do it on your own or stay where you already are.

Opening are listed here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified
Help us to help you.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nettlebed
BTW, just because he has a great job in an international company, it's not a slam dunk that he will be able to transfer and stay.
Agreed. The OP might want to nail that down before considering the next phase of the plan.

I went the L1 route (British company with American subsidiary) in the 1990s and I would not call it anywhere near a slam dunk, even in those heady pre-911 days. I worked hard to engineer myself a position that was truely niche, and I also benefited from a lot of "right place, right time" luck.

Hopefully it'll work out by 2011 when recession starts to lift in the US, but consider that a lot of multinationals also prefer to only offer temporary overseas contracts.

As for the OP getting a job... is teaching something that might be a path to an H1?

Last edited by wordfool; Jan 5th 2010 at 5:11 am.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:23 am
Just Joined

want2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nicewant2move2USA is just really nice

hey thanks for replies. No teaching is a route I don't want to take even though I had thought about it. I have looked the second criteria link given but you have not said how much of itI need to conform with? I do not have any links with american citizens/ family etc but I will have a degree which is one of the tick boxes...

So really the idea of moving out there is not a plan worth looking into then...

If we wanted to move just temporarily would that be a major issue?

I worked in NY this summer on th J-1 visa, surely there is a visa to work in america for a year or so in which case I could get that?

Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in NY this summer on th J-1 visa, surely there is a visa to work in america for a year or so in which case I could get that?
There are no other options apart from the ones in the link you have been given.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

surely there is a visa to work in america for a year or so in which case I could get that?

Thanks
oh if only, life would be so much easier.......
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
I totally agree - I got a great job with a US bank in 2006, moved to London in Feb 2007 (from the Cayman Islands) to do the overseas year and after I had completed the year, the bank almost failed, was bought and I was left hanging for another 6 months (in London) and then the promise of L1b visa, GC etc etc was taken away and I was back to square one.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

surely there is a visa to work in america for a year or so in which case I could get that?
If you want to benefit from the experience of folks here, you need to listen to the answers given to your questions. You've already been given two links to the wiki article on what visas are available. Read them.

The US is one of the hardest countries in the world to obtain a visa for to live and work here. There is no 'come and live and work here for a year on a whim' visa.

They don't want you here. They don't need you here. Only a select few fit into the slender categories for which visas are issued. The US immigration services are there to stop you getting in unless you qualify, not to help you.

Marriage is highly likely to be your only way into the US.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Marriage is highly likely to be your only way into the US.
IF the boyfriend gets a transfer + visa.
Which hasn't yet been established.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

One other option you have if you don't want to marry your boyfriend. If he winds getting an H-1B or L-1 visa, and you live together, you may qualify for a B-1 cohabiting partner visa. Unfortunately, you can not work in the US with that visa.

- Eric S.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks for responses although BritishGuy36 I am not sure why you have to come across so rude?Anyway I shall have a think about what you all have said. Thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Check your karma messages, which you can find under ''my profile'.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks for responses although BritishGuy36 I am not sure why you have to come across so rude?Anyway I shall have a think about what you all have said. Thanks.
I'm afraid that's not an uncommon response when advice is given but is perceived to have not been followed - one could say that ignoring the advice someone has taken time to give is also rude.

It also comes from spending freely-given time over the years to provide answers and gradually developing a short fuse when you think it's not appreciated or heeded. Sorry, but over the years, we've all seen it too often.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

He's not being rude he's telling the truth. Have you tried looking at Canada? Or is the weather the main motivator in your move? In that case, I'd look at Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.