Two more US citizens!

Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two more US citizens!

Originally Posted by brit-n-yank
We were told at the Oath Ceremony that we could just go ahead and apply for a US passport for children under 18, quoting our own Certificate Number, and that would adequately prove citizenship, rather than file an N-600.

And they are correct. You can file the N-600 but it is not necessary. Just be sure that your daughter doesn't let her US Passport lapse.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is advisable to do both.

However, it is possible to apply for a US passport without the certificate. The N-600 process takes a few months.

It is not a smart idea to rely on a US passport alone as proof of citizenship. Passports expire and can easily be lost/stolen.
When applying for your daughter's US PP you need your original naturalization certificate, her long form birth certificate and YOUR marriage license. That's all there is to it.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
When applying for your daughter's US PP you need your original naturalization certificate, her long form birth certificate and YOUR marriage license. That's all there is to it.
Understood. But what would be the plan if passport is lost and needs to be replaced in a hurry? 20 year later perhaps when these documents cannot be found anywhere.

A decision not to apply for an N-600 and just rely on passport as proof of US citizenship is quite irresponsible.

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 30th 2009 at 9:21 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zonie
Congratulations! If you could share your interview/ceremony experiences and N-400 timeline it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Became a citizen today!!!

My timeline

July 21, sent N-400 application (Texas lockbox)
September 3, biometrics appointment
November 2, morning interview, afternoon oath ceremony (Charleston SC)

Interview lasted 10 minutes. Asked lots of questions re application, eg where had I lived, how many times married, etc. Also asked if I would be prepared to use a weapon to fight, if the US law said I must, and had I ever been a prostitute, or sold/dealt/used drugs (could have come up with some 'cute' answers, but chose to say yes/no only!). Also asked if I would give up allegiance to Great Britain. Unprepared for that one, didn't have time to cross my fingers.......Test questions:
1) What does the cabinet do?
2) How many justices on the supreme court?
3) What did the Declaration of Independence do?
4) We elect a senator for how many years?
5) If the President and Vice President no longer serve, who becomes President?
6) Name one branch of the government?
Then she stopped and said 'congratulations'

Oath ceremony lasted about half an hour - after we (total 18 of us) were kept waiting about 45 minutes. Some 'glitches' apparently. Got our certificates, watched a video with Obama congratulating us (well, not us per se!!), people took pictures.......that was it. Actually, I got quite emotional in the end, must have been the music on the video

All in all, piece of cake. Hardest part was spending that $675!!!

Now to get the US passport...........
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

brit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to all

Congratulations!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Became a citizen today!
Congratulations!

Ian
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Thanks, does feel kinda different.......
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Two more US citizens!

Became a citizen today!!!
Congratuations and thanks for the timeline!

Also asked if I would give up allegiance to Great Britain.
I assume you said yes?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zonie
Congratuations and thanks for the timeline!

I assume you said yes?
I had no choice, but I pretended I was an actress practising my role........
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

jobolton is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations also, got mine a few months ago. Was also surprised how quickly my passport was proccessed & delivered.

Jo
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jobolton
Congratulations also, got mine a few months ago. Was also surprised how quickly my passport was proccessed & delivered.

Jo
Great, I am filling the application form in now, take it to the post office tomorrow.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:09 pm
Fob
Just Joined

Fob is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done!