Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for dual USA/UK citizenship. Any experience with this?

Applying for dual USA/UK citizenship. Any experience with this?

Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:48 am
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all
Default Applying for dual USA/UK citizenship. Any experience with this?

Hi, I am English, living in California, I have not lived in England for 10 years - we were in Japan for 3 years before this. My husband is American and I have a green card. We have 3 kids, all dual citizens. We would like to go and live back in England, possibly for a year or two, possibly for ever. I am in the process of applying for my US citizenship so that I can come back here in the future if living in England doesn't work out for us, so that we can be flexibly and also so that I can vote here. My question is, does anyone have any experience of this? I know that it is fine on the UK side to have dual citizenship but I wonder how the US government views it, given that I will have to renounce my alleigence to any other country when I become a US citizen. I am pretty sure it is fine from what I have read, but I just had a wobbly moment and wondered if I am shooting myself in the foot and creating problems for myself down the line. I would really appreciate any advice. Many thanks!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for dual USA/UK citizenship. Any experience with this?

If you do a search, you'll find lot of dual US/UK people here. Neither the US nor the UK have a problem with that.

You will have two passports, one US and one UK. Leave and enter the US on your US passport (that's mandatory). With the UK you get a choice: you can leave and enter on either (but the UK passport queue will be shorter).

You will have to file a US tax return every year even when living in the UK (or elsewhere outside of the US).
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:03 am
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If you do a search, you'll find lot of dual US/UK people here. Neither the US nor the UK have a problem with that.

You will have two passports, one US and one UK. Leave and enter the US on your US passport (that's mandatory). With the UK you get a choice: you can leave and enter on either (but the UK passport queue will be shorter).

You will have to file a US tax return every year even when living in the UK (or elsewhere outside of the US).
Thanks so much for your very quick response! I will search the forum, I didn't think about that . Cheers.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the wiki article as well.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Erica
Hi, I am English, living in California, I have not lived in England for 10 years - we were in Japan for 3 years before this. My husband is American and I have a green card. We have 3 kids, all dual citizens. We would like to go and live back in England, possibly for a year or two, possibly for ever. I am in the process of applying for my US citizenship so that I can come back here in the future if living in England doesn't work out for us, so that we can be flexibly and also so that I can vote here. My question is, does anyone have any experience of this? I know that it is fine on the UK side to have dual citizenship but I wonder how the US government views it, given that I will have to renounce my alleigence to any other country when I become a US citizen. I am pretty sure it is fine from what I have read, but I just had a wobbly moment and wondered if I am shooting myself in the foot and creating problems for myself down the line. I would really appreciate any advice. Many thanks!
Just went through the whole process and got my citizenship Monday! I posted my time line under USA 2 more citizens thread, or you can pm me if you want more info.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:27 am
Erica

Originally Posted by aes1
Just went through the whole process and got my citizenship Monday! I posted my time line under USA 2 more citizens thread, or you can pm me if you want more info.
Wow! That was quick! I was expecting it to take a year. I have my interview at the end of November. I just read your timeline and it was really useful re. what to expect at the interview etc. What are your plans now? Are you planning on staying in the US long-term? How was it when they asked you if you would give up any your loyalty to the UK? It sounds like it was quite a moving experience and now you can vote! Congratulations on your new citizenship.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Wow! That was quick! I was expecting it to take a year. I have my interview at the end of November. I just read your timeline and it was really useful re. what to expect at the interview etc. What are your plans now? Are you planning on staying in the US long-term? How was it when they asked you if you would give up any your loyalty to the UK? It sounds like it was quite a moving experience and now you can vote! Congratulations on your new citizenship.
No, not staying in the US, trying to sell my house and then I am going home. US Citizenship was a safeguard, should I ever be foolish enough to try and come back to the US! Actually, my two sons are over here and it makes it much easier to come and visit when I want, for how long I want, than it would be with the green card. Just trying to make my life easier! Yes, it was a little daunting, having to actually say the words I would give up loyalty. But I told myself I was an actress, playing a role, as I spoke them. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I believe in being loyal to my planet and the laws of nature, as opposed to individual countries ruled by man.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:13 pm
Erica

No, not staying in the US, trying to sell my house and then I am going home. US Citizenship was a safeguard, should I ever be foolish enough to try and come back to the US! Actually, my two sons are over here and it makes it much easier to come and visit when I want, for how long I want, than it would be with the green card. Just trying to make my life easier! Yes, it was a little daunting, having to actually say the words I would give up loyalty. But I told myself I was an actress, playing a role, as I spoke them. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I believe in being loyal to my planet and the laws of nature, as opposed to individual countries ruled by man.
How exciting! Good luck on selling your house and your move back. I agree about the loyalty to one country thing, the only issue is if it causes problems down the line with bureaucrats but from what I have read there won't be any.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:53 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

How exciting! Good luck on selling your house and your move back. I agree about the loyalty to one country thing, the only issue is if it causes problems down the line with bureaucrats but from what I have read there won't be any.
Renouncing your previous loyalties is the big one, and saying it at the ceremony is weird. But I'm not big on Governments in general and I had my fingers crossed anyway. After getting my US citizenship I went up for a US Security Clearance and was asked if I'd give up my UK passport. I said no and didn't hear form them again. The bottom line for me is that I support UK teams to US ones. Middlesbrough against other football clubs, Yorkshire against other counties, England against Scotland, Wales etc and the UK against other countries. I'll defend the US against some of the thoughtless criticism I hear and I admire some of it's founding principles, but it's intellectual rather than emotional.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nun
Renouncing your previous loyalties is the big one, and saying it at the ceremony is weird. But I'm not big on Governments in general and I had my fingers crossed anyway. After getting my US citizenship I went up for a US Security Clearance and was asked if I'd give up my UK passport. I said no and didn't hear form them again. The bottom line for me is that I support UK teams to US ones. Middlesbrough against other football clubs, Yorkshire against other counties, England against Scotland, Wales etc and the UK against other countries. I'll defend the US against some of the thoughtless criticism I hear and I admire some of it's founding principles, but it's intellectual rather than emotional.
Where do you come from Nun? I was raised outside Middlesbrough......
Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:31 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Marton. It looks like Middlesbrough is still doing what it does best, ie exporting people. I finished comprehensive school in the late 70s and it was the last year that the big companies like ICI took on apprentices. Of course they had no job when they finished their training so everyone found work in places like Saudi Arabia. I know lots of folks who became expats.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nun
Marton. It looks like Middlesbrough is still doing what it does best, ie exporting people. I finished comprehensive school in the late 70s and it was the last year that the big companies like ICI took on apprentices. Of course they had no job when they finished their training so everyone found work in places like Saudi Arabia. I know lots of folks who became expats.

Nun, my sister lives in Nunthorpe, pretty close to Marton!! My dad, who worked for ICI till he retired, also lived there till his death in 2006. Each time I visit, my sister takes me to Guisborough, Northallerton, on the moors - so much fun! I miss the daft sheep!!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:03 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Nun, my sister lives in Nunthorpe, pretty close to Marton!! My dad, who worked for ICI till he retired, also lived there till his death in 2006. Each time I visit, my sister takes me to Guisborough, Northallerton, on the moors - so much fun! I miss the daft sheep!!
Small world! I was born in Guisborough. I'm thinking of moving back, probably to Stokesley or maybe even to Teesdale
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nun
Small world! I was born in Guisborough. I'm thinking of moving back, probably to Stokesley or maybe even to Teesdale
I am trying to move back - if I could only get my house sold - and I do love that area, Stokesley is nice, don't remember Teesdale. But I really don't think I can take the weather there any more. I have lived in South East US almost semitropical weather for 22 years and I don't think these 'old bones' can take that 'fret' coming from the North Sea!!! So I am looking at the South coast. You would think it would be easier for me to move back North as my sister is there, but that good ol' Northern friendliness seems to have bypassed her now that I am returning. She is not welcoming me at all!!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

jayde is an unknown quantity at this point

I too went and got citizenship in the US because I want to return home but never want to go through the greencard process again.

The whole expensive process only took from June til Sept and now I have the US passport I can fly in and out without problems, except remembering to use the right one.