Travel Docs

Old Feb 11th 2001, 12:48 am
Simon Franklyn

Does anyone know if when entering Puerto Rico from New York, I would need to show my
passport/Green Card.

The fact is I lost my Green Card last March (yeah, I know probably the stupidest thing I
could do, but we were moving and bla, bla, bla...) Anyway the local INS are still dragging
their heels about issuing a replacement. While they twiddle their thumbs for a couple of
years, they advised not to leave the country as I would have problems getting back in.

As Puerto Rico is considered part of the US would I therefore be able to enter with just a
US driving license (which I understand is the only requirement for US citizens)

Many Thanks

Old Feb 11th 2001, 2:43 am
NA

Not to sound overly cautious, but I would certainly wait for my replacement green card
before leaving the country.

Simon Franklyn wrote:

> Does anyone know if when entering Puerto Rico from New York, I would need to show my
> passport/Green Card.
>
> The fact is I lost my Green Card last March (yeah, I know probably the stupidest thing I
> could do, but we were moving and bla, bla, bla...) Anyway the local INS are still
> dragging their heels about issuing a replacement. While they twiddle their thumbs for a
> couple of years, they advised not to leave the country as I would have problems getting
> back in.
>
> As Puerto Rico is considered part of the US would I therefore be able to enter with just
> a US driving license (which I understand is the only requirement for US citizens)
>
> Many Thanks

Old Feb 12th 2001, 6:52 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Simon Franklyn wrote:

> Does anyone know if when entering Puerto Rico from New York, I would need to show my
> passport/Green Card.
>
> The fact is I lost my Green Card last March (yeah, I know probably the stupidest thing I
> could do, but we were moving and bla, bla, bla...) Anyway the local INS are still
> dragging their heels about issuing a replacement. While they twiddle their thumbs for a
> couple of years, they advised not to leave the country as I would have problems getting
> back in.
>
> As Puerto Rico is considered part of the US would I therefore be able to enter with just
> a US driving license (which I understand is the only requirement for US citizens)

Theoretically Puerto Rico operates like the U.S. when it comes to INS inspection. However,
you would be well advised to have legal evidence of your permanent resident status before
travelling there. You don't need the actual green card, however; you can travel, even
outside the U.S., with the passport stamp (valid for one year) which should be granted to
you upon request at your INS district office.