Travel With Daughter

Old Jun 1st 2018, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Baloney will become famous soon enough
Default Travel With Daughter

I am a UK citizen and a green card holder, my daughter who is 8 is a US citizen. I want to take her to the UK this summer to see her great grandmother who is 101.

When we get to the UK I assume I will have to accompany her and pass through the Non EU citizen line, and similarly when returning to the US we will have to both go through the Non US citizen line.

Has anyone experienced this that can offer advice?
Old Jun 1st 2018, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel With Daughter

Originally Posted by Baloney
I am a UK citizen and a green card holder, my daughter who is 8 is a US citizen. I want to take her to the UK this summer to see her great grandmother who is 101.

When we get to the UK I assume I will have to accompany her and pass through the Non EU citizen line, and similarly when returning to the US we will have to both go through the Non US citizen line.

Has anyone experienced this that can offer advice?
She can go with you through the EU line.

Good idea to get a notarized letter from the father giving you permission to take the child out of the US.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

I am the father, her mother is a US citizen but I take your point and will do that
Old Jun 1st 2018, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

and similarly when returning to the US we will have to both go through the Non US citizen line.
At most airports LPR's use the same line as US citizens.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 5:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you were born in the UK then just get her British passport.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you were born in the UK then just get her British passport.
Don't think I have enough time to go down that route as she already has a US passport
Old Jun 1st 2018, 8:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think I have enough time to go down that route as she already has a US passport
Turnaround time is only a couple of days if she was born in the US. It's not likely to take longer than 10 days all in. It's also helpful to get her in the system before she turns 16.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 2:15 am
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

You can go through whichever line is the shortest. You should take a notarized letter signed by your daughter's mother as well as a copy of your daughter's birth certificate (if your name is on it). Last time I entered the UK with my daughter, I was asked for her birth certificate (we were both entering on British passports) which was a first for me. I didn't have it, was given a talking to and a card about child abduction.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 2:58 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
At most airports LPR's use the same line as US citizens.

Yes.... but for some reason Seattle is not one of them. Canadians and USCs share one line, visitors and LPRs share the other line. Makes no sense to me at all. But I digress....
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927

Yes.... but for some reason Seattle is not one of them. Canadians and USCs share one line, visitors and LPRs share the other line. Makes no sense to me at all. But I digress....
TBIT (LAX) had 3 lines last few times - visitors, permanent residents, and USC. But when one line gets too long they start mixing anyway.

My parents took my kids to the UK without us last year, and I (alone) brought them back to the US. Neither the airline nor immigration (in either country) batted an eyelid. However, this is not advice at all - we were prepared like the earlier posts, albeit no copies of birth certificates. But that news story recently about the biracial kid whose parent got questioned being considered as racist: Has the world gone mad? Weren't the airline simply doing their job to help prevent child abduction? Maybe it's just my thinking...
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 4:55 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

If I had a kid I'd definitely go for the shorter line - not my problem they don't have enough employees to handle the incoming passengers in a timely manner. They know how many flights are due and how many pax they have. But I think as an adult traveling alone I won't be able to get away with that if the shortest line is not the "correct" line.