Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

AoS Approved, but need to travel before Card has arrived

AoS Approved, but need to travel before Card has arrived

Old May 25th 2018, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

danonash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AoS Approved, but need to travel before Card has arrived

Hello

We had our AoS (I-485 L1A) interview on the 23rd May and were told it was approved, I can see from USCIS website that the card was ordered for production that day (23rd and indeed received the emails and text messages). I need to travel to Singapore on the 6th June, so its very likely I will not have received a green card before then and I did not get an i551 stamp, so I'm concerned that this may cause an issue on my re-entry to the US & I cannot get an infopasss appointment before my travel dates.

I do have an EAD with AP that is current, but would welcome anyone's input with experience of this.

Thanks
Old May 25th 2018, 6:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AoS Approved, but need to travel before Card has arrived

now that you are a US PR, your EAD and AP are no longer valid.

do you have someone in the USA checking your postal mail who can send the green card to you overseas (via FedEx or UPS)?

keep checking for InfoPass appointments to get an I-551 stamp in the meantime.

otherwise you have no proof to show the airline when you want to return to the USA.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; May 25th 2018 at 6:28 pm.
Old May 25th 2018, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be fairly surprised if you didn't receive your green card before the 6th but as Rene has said the best you thing can do is go and get the I-551 stamp.
Old May 25th 2018, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Would be amazed if you’ve not got it by then.
Old May 25th 2018, 8:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be surprised if you did get it by then. There was a recent poster here that is waiting still 7 months after the notice of his card being manufactured.

Rather than leave it to the last moment, I would check the infopass site early in the morning and later in the evening for new openings. Better to have the stamp in your passport and a green card in your wallet then leave the US and have neither.
Old May 25th 2018, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Our recent experience
Interview May1st
Approved May5th
Card In Production May7th
Approval notices received May12
Card received May14th

Those InfoPass appointments are tricky to get, constantly trying throughout the day from what I have read
Old May 25th 2018, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

If your card is ordered for production, it is surely at most a week from delivery.

You can get back into the US without I-551 stamp or GC, but be prepared for a lecture and ~$500 fine. (I personally know someone who went to Tijuana and this exact thing happened.)
(Actually for air travel you probably won't even be allowed to board the plane. Noorah101 is right.)

Last edited by neill; May 25th 2018 at 9:59 pm. Reason: more info
Old May 25th 2018, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Best time to try for infopass is 11.45PM.
Old May 26th 2018, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks to all, I will endeavor to get an InfoPass appointment!
Old May 26th 2018, 2:45 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could get a boarding foil from the embassy in Singapore before returning.
Old May 26th 2018, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

My local field office San Francisco has stopped scheduling appointments online, I had to send an actual request stating my need and then expect a phone call or email... hopefully I will hear back, if not I shall reschedule the trip. After 26 months from filing the I-140, I'm not going mess things up now.

Been a silent lurker on here since moving to the US in 2013, been a valuable source of information and kept us sane at times!

Time line for us, to this point on an L1A with Blanket approval, which originally went to Nebraska Service Centre

File I-140 2/5/16
Approved I-140 7/7/17
Filed I-485 27/9/17
Biometrics 02/11/17
Transferred to NBC 28/02/18
AoS Interview SF 23/05/18
New Card being produced 23/05/18
Fingers crossed 24/05/18......
Old May 28th 2018, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danonash
My local field office San Francisco has stopped scheduling appointments online, I had to send an actual request stating my need and then expect a phone call or email... hopefully I will hear back, if not I shall reschedule the trip. After 26 months from filing the I-140, I'm not going mess things up now.

Been a silent lurker on here since moving to the US in 2013, been a valuable source of information and kept us sane at times!

Time line for us, to this point on an L1A with Blanket approval, which originally went to Nebraska Service Centre

File I-140 2/5/16
Approved I-140 7/7/17
Filed I-485 27/9/17
Biometrics 02/11/17
Fingers crossed 24/05/18......
Hey, you're a permanent resident now, better start working on your date format.
Old May 29th 2018, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
Hey, you're a permanent resident now, better start working on your date format.
I said sidewalk earlier today, working on the rest, may take some time....
Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Quick Update Green Card Arrived

File I-140 2/5/16
Approved I-140 7/7/17
Filed I-485 27/9/17
Biometrics 02/11/17
Green Card Delivered 31/05/18

So from AoS interview until card in my possession, 8 days including the Memorial Day weekend, pretty impressed!