Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Travel before removal of conditions

Travel before removal of conditions

Old May 14th 2007, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

switiksangel is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Travel before removal of conditions

News from home is making me think about traveling just a little bit over 100 days before my Conditional Green card is due for removal of conditions.

I have almost everything I need, and should not have any problems gathering what i need. I don't know how long I will be gone for, or even when I plan to leave. Just wanted to know what my options are.

I know my green card is valid until late September. So with that, i understand that I am free to come and go before it expires right?

All I need to do is make sure that we file the petition to remove conditions when it needs to be done, and I'm still free to come and go before it expires?

I do hope I'm right!
Old May 14th 2007, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel before removal of conditions

Originally Posted by switiksangel
So with that, i understand that I am free to come and go before it expires right?
Right.

All I need to do is make sure that we file the petition to remove conditions when it needs to be done, and I'm still free to come and go before it expires?
Right. If you file to remove the conditions before your GC expires *and* if your GC expires while you are away, you'll need to have someone send you the extension letter that you'll receive, so that you can re-enter the US using the letter and your expired GC. If your GC is not expired prior to returning, you'll be okay without the letter.

Ian
Old May 14th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

switiksangel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travel before removal of conditions

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Right.

Right. If you file to remove the conditions before your GC expires *and* if your GC expires while you are away, you'll need to have someone send you the extension letter that you'll receive, so that you can re-enter the US using the letter and your expired GC. If your GC is not expired prior to returning, you'll be okay without the letter.

Ian
Thank you. I should only be gone for the month of June. The 90 day mark for my GC is the 22. So if we send it in as close as possible to the 90 day mark, I should make it back for the biometrics no matter how quickly they could schedule it. I know there is no set time, but watch how when you want things to go slow, then it will speed up just to spite you.

Thanks again!