got approved..whats next?

Old May 14th 2007, 11:00 am
Just Joined

benjipie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default got approved..whats next?

Hi guys,

I've been reading this forum for the past few months and its proved to be a well of knowledge (the search facility is great too!!), so even though this is my first post i've had loads of questions answered...

Anyway, im a UK citizen (i reside in the uk) and she (the misses) is a US citizen. I had the interview for the K1 visa last friday and got approved and im wondering what comes next. Do i have to download the next set of paper work or will they send it to me in the post along with my passport? (im waiting for it to be returned with the visa). Do we wait until we get married (in September) and then file form I-130 from the uscis website?

Thanks....

Benjipie.

Last edited by benjipie; May 14th 2007 at 11:04 am. Reason: I forgot to mention the I-130 form from the USCIS site.
Old May 14th 2007, 11:17 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: got approved..whats next?

Originally Posted by benjipie
Hi guys,

I've been reading this forum for the past few months and its proved to be a well of knowledge (the search facility is great too!!), so even though this is my first post i've had loads of questions answered...

Anyway, im a UK citizen (i reside in the uk) and she (the misses) is a US citizen. I had the interview for the K1 visa last friday and got approved and im wondering what comes next. Do i have to download the next set of paper work or will they send it to me in the post along with my passport? (im waiting for it to be returned with the visa). Do we wait until we get married (in September) and then file form I-130 from the uscis website?

Thanks....

Benjipie.
After you get your passport (with your K1 visa) back, you'll need to go to the US within 6 months of when your K1 was approved. Once you use your K1 to enter the US, you'll have to marry within 90 days of your entry date. You might want to wait about 10 days between when you arrive in the US and when you marry, though, so that you can get your SSN first.

If you're not planning on getting married until September (when in Sept, you don't say), then you will definitely have to delay your usage of the K1 visa so that your 90-day marriage window doesn't expire before your wedding.

Once you've married, you'll want to start the adjustment process to obtain permanent residency. This means filing the I-485 adjustment of status application, the I-765 EAD application, and (if you feel you need it) the I-131 AP application. The sooner you do this after marriage, the sooner you'll be able to get that green card. The AOS process takes anywhere from a few months to more than a year, depending on where you live and the backlog.

Notice that the I-130 is NOT part of the AOS application package. I have no idea where you got the impression that it was, so my best suggestion is to read through the forum and USCIS website thoroughly. K1 recipients don't touch the I-130.

~ Jenney
Old May 14th 2007, 11:41 am
Just Joined

benjipie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
After you get your passport (with your K1 visa) back, you'll need to go to the US within 6 months of when your K1 was approved. Once you use your K1 to enter the US, you'll have to marry within 90 days of your entry date. You might want to wait about 10 days between when you arrive in the US and when you marry, though, so that you can get your SSN first.

If you're not planning on getting married until September (when in Sept, you don't say), then you will definitely have to delay your usage of the K1 visa so that your 90-day marriage window doesn't expire before your wedding.

Once you've married, you'll want to start the adjustment process to obtain permanent residency. This means filing the I-485 adjustment of status application, the I-765 EAD application, and (if you feel you need it) the I-131 AP application. The sooner you do this after marriage, the sooner you'll be able to get that green card. The AOS process takes anywhere from a few months to more than a year, depending on where you live and the backlog.

Notice that the I-130 is NOT part of the AOS application package. I have no idea where you got the impression that it was, so my best suggestion is to read through the forum and USCIS website thoroughly. K1 recipients don't touch the I-130.

~ Jenney
Thanks for the reply Jenney.

I was aware of the 90 day time period for the K1 visa but it looks like i had the wrong idea about the forms. I will look into the forms you mentioned.

Thanks again..

benjipie.
Old May 14th 2007, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benjipie
Thanks for the reply Jenney.

I was aware of the 90 day time period for the K1 visa but it looks like i had the wrong idea about the forms. I will look into the forms you mentioned.

Thanks again..

benjipie.

Also don't forget the G325A (Bio form), the I-693 for the supplement medical (vaccination report only/not full medical); I-864 affidavit of support from your new spouse and/or co-sponsor.

You should have been given a vaccination paper from the medical doctor/office when you had your medical in the UK. Be sure to keep this safe as you will need it after marriage when you go for the vaccination supplement.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

~ Jenney
Jenney - I keep seeing this "wait 10 days, get SSN first" thing.

But... for a man - why would that matter? Since his name does not change? I thought the only reason to wait until SSN was applied for was if a woman got married and changed her name, it was a problem.

Is there something else I'm not remembering?
Old May 14th 2007, 3:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Jenney - I keep seeing this "wait 10 days, get SSN first" thing.

But... for a man - why would that matter? Since his name does not change? I thought the only reason to wait until SSN was applied for was if a woman got married and changed her name, it was a problem.

Is there something else I'm not remembering?

Yes, ten days to ensure that your name is on the SAVE system.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, ten days to ensure that your name is on the SAVE system.
I understand waiting for 10 days before applying for SSN.

But why can't you go ahead and get married before that? At least for a man, his name won't change?

I'm sorry, I think I've asked about this before - but I keep seeing the recommendation to not get married first. And I can't remember.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I understand waiting for 10 days before applying for SSN.

But why can't you go ahead and get married before that? At least for a man, his name won't change?

I'm sorry, I think I've asked about this before - but I keep seeing the recommendation to not get married first. And I can't remember.
Some SSA workers misinterpret the regulations and insist that a K-1 who has married is no longer a K-1 and therefore is no longer entitled to the SS#.
This is not true, but can add an extra layer of hassling to the application procedure.

You can BE married, and the question does not appear on any of the applications (for a Social Security account) so there is no need for it to come up, but some people can't help adding information and muddying the waters.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
Some SSA workers misinterpret the regulations and insist that a K-1 who has married is no longer a K-1 and therefore is no longer entitled to the SS#.
This is not true, but can add an extra layer of hassling to the application procedure.

You can BE married, and the question does not appear on any of the applications (for a Social Security account) so there is no need for it to come up, but some people can't help adding information and muddying the waters.
Ahhhh that's the thing. Thank you very much.