Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Transferring from Canadian office directly to Green Card via EB2/3

Transferring from Canadian office directly to Green Card via EB2/3

Old Jan 8th 2022, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring from Canadian office directly to Green Card via EB2/3

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
Update. They're insisting on the L1B as they're not comfortable with a EB2 application on a TN or doing a EB2 via CP.

My anniversary will be July 2022. I'd rather not wait beyond that to land so as a Canadian I understand that I can apply for a L1B at a POE. Is that correct?

Also I wanted to ask if PERM can be started before I land and with me filing the i140/i485 after I land. Is that possible and are there any downsides?
You can do EB-2/3 on TN, there is a period during the process where you should not travel. This is after submitting the I-485 as you personally are showing intent to immigrate at this point.
But it's completely doable.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neill
You can do EB-2/3 on TN, there is a period during the process where you should not travel. This is after submitting the I-485 as you personally are showing intent to immigrate at this point.
But it's completely doable.
It was my backup option but the company felt that we shouldn't use it because if anything went wrong the application, say a delay, then I wouldn't be able to renew the TN.

My TN application would be using a three year degree from the UK in Computer Science to enter as a Software Engineer. I've read of people being rejected since the degree isn't 4 years and the subject doesn't match.

The L1 is better because my wife can work on L2 hopefully without the 18 month wait for EAD soon too [0]

[0] - https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuarta...h=49af471b64ea

Last edited by Ling_Noi; Jan 8th 2022 at 4:44 am.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 4:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that an L2 holder needs an EAD to work.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2022, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My understanding is that an L2 holder needs an EAD to work.

Rene
Today that’s correct. But that’s changing this year. They are changing the I94 form which will give work authorization with L2 status no EAD required.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 6:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Today that’s correct. But that’s changing this year. They are changing the I94 form which will give work authorization with L2 status no EAD required.
Ah! Thanks for enlightening me!

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2022, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

They’ve confirmed that I’ll be applying under EB3 because a three year English undergraduate degree isn’t equivalent to a US four year degree.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

They’ve confirmed that I’ll be applying under EB3 because a three year English undergraduate degree isn’t equivalent to a US four year degree.
EB-3 may be right (Skilled Worker or Professional), but a UK is degree is equivalent to a US 4 year degree - when I moved a company evaluated my BSc as the same as a B.S in the US. Common sense also says they're the same qualification.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by postbox134
EB-3 may be right (Skilled Worker or Professional), but a UK is degree is equivalent to a US 4 year degree - when I moved a company evaluated my BSc as the same as a B.S in the US. Common sense also says they're the same qualification.
Yeah you would think so. Was it WES that evaluated your degree?
Old Jan 21st 2022, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you would think so. Was it WES that evaluated your degree?
I just checked my paperwork (which was for L1-B but I am also doing EB-3 professional now) and it was the 'Trustforte Corporation'.

It has a long description of how pre-university education in the UK is 13 years long, what an A Level is, and how A levels are more or less the same as US first year level classes. They included something from EDGE and AACRAO about how a BSc is the same as a US B.S.

Worth checking with your HR/Lawyers?
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by postbox134
I just checked my paperwork (which was for L1-B but I am also doing EB-3 professional now) and it was the 'Trustforte Corporation'.

It has a long description of how pre-university education in the UK is 13 years long, what an A Level is, and how A levels are more or less the same as US first year level classes. They included something from EDGE and AACRAO about how a BSc is the same as a US B.S.

Worth checking with your HR/Lawyers?
Interesting. I’ll reach out to this company and order it myself.

Thank you.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I’ll reach out to this company and order it myself.

Thank you.
I concur. It's the degree prerequisites that matter whether a 3 year is equivalent to a U.S. 4 year. All UK 360-credit (3 year) Honours degrees usually have enough prerequisites, i.e. A-levels or equivalent. WES should confirm this also.
(Note - this also means someone with a UK 3rd class degree or pass that was originally an Honours degree course does NOT have the prerequisite - has to be 2:2 or greater)

Last edited by neill; Jan 27th 2022 at 7:20 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2022, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neill;[url=tel:13090762
13090762[/url]]I concur. It's the degree prerequisites that matter whether a 3 year is equivalent to a U.S. 4 year. All UK 360-credit (3 year) Honours degrees usually have enough prerequisites, i.e. A-levels or equivalent. WES should confirm this also.
(Note - this also means someone with a UK 3rd class degree or pass that was originally an Honours degree course does NOT have the prerequisite - has to be 2:2 or greater)
I’ve got a 2.1. Didn’t do A Levels but did an Access to HE equivalent.

I’ll check out Wes. Thanks.
Old Jan 29th 2022, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

If the university admitted you, you met the entry requirements in whatever form they are. Most usually that's A Levels.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

It’s been a while.

My L1B was denied at the Windsor-Detroit crossing on the basis that my specialized knowledge was obtained during the qualification period of my position. A requirement I have never heard of before today.

A fair warning for those intending to obtain L1B close to their anniversary date.

Strangely I had tried to cross at Peace Bridge and was missing tax documentation with my petition. The CBP agent said he was satisfied with the petition but needed the tax documents so asked me to withdraw and come back with them.

Since Peace Bridge is appointment only they next available appointment was 8th August which I couldn’t wait for (costing me a fortune renting AirBnBs). So I drove to Detroit which is taking walk ups.

The CBP agent their actually advised I withdraw my petition and apply for TN which was approved.

I’ve got a call with the lawyers next week. They’ve made about 6 mistakes so far including sending me to the wrong bridge and several mistakes in the I129.

I’m more annoyed that my wife can’t work than anything but at least I know I can get a TN if I have to move employer for some reason.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting the TN means at least you can come and go right up till the I-485 submission (should you decide to immigrate later). Just remember that you can't have any intention to be an immigrant any time you enter on your TN (and advisable to NOT submit an I-485 too close to an entry on your TN for that reason).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.