Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Transferring from Canadian office directly to Green Card via EB2/3

Transferring from Canadian office directly to Green Card via EB2/3

Old Sep 6th 2021, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring from Canadian office directly to Green Card via EB2/3

Another year, another employer.

I've kicked-off initial discussions with my US employer here in Canada with the hope that I can finally move south of the border an go through the Green Card process.

During interviews, I asked about sponsorship and they said that coming down on a TN or L1B is no problem. They've also confirmed that they are willing to sponsor a GC via the EB tracks.

I wanted to sell them on going direct to EB2/3 and wait here in Canada to prevent waiting for the L1B (9 more months before I qualify) or the fraught TN with it being non-dual-intent visa.

So my questions are:

- Can I assume that my employer will save money by going straight to EB2/3 skipping other work visas?
- I don't hold a masters degree but I have 10 years experience and my BSc so will applying for EB3 rather than EB2 cause any delay?
- Are there any issues working for a foreign subsidiary and then applying for a job at the parent company as part of the EB process?
Old Sep 6th 2021, 2:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring from Canadian office directly to Green Card via EB2/3

Lawyers fees are the biggest element, many Employers are reluctant to sponsor a GC immediately for obvious reasons.

Something to discuss with your Employer/Lawyer.

None I can think of.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Right. I'll have to convince them that I will hand around. Although they'll probably lose me if they don't do this.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 1:37 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

another year, another employer
Right. I'll have to convince them that I will hand around. Although they'll probably lose me if they don't do this.
The employees that get green cards sooner have a good track record, they've proven that they will hang around by being being around. I suggest a little more patience.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

I don't want to make it sound like I'm moving around alot. I was at my last employer for three years and they kept stringing me along for a work visa nevermind a Green Card.

I work in tech which is facing a chronic work shortage. You'd think they'd be more cooperative.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 1:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
I work in tech which is facing a chronic work shortage. You'd think they'd be more cooperative.
I'd think that's actually a reason for them not to sponsor your green card - they pay out thousands to do so, then you could be poached to work elsewhere!

A L1 is likely to be quicker anyway even with the 9 months before you're eligible, maybe you could ask them to do both?
Old Sep 7th 2021, 1:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Peeps on here know that my work is relocating employees into Austin...tech employees.
Relocating someone is a big cost and of course they will want to know that you will stick around. I can't remember anyone getting EB route authorized and not L1a or L1b first, not even the most senior exec.
Do you have a particular need to get to GC quickly?
Our GC process was started immediately upon arrival with L1a at our request because our daughter was less than 2 years away from going to college and permanent residency is better to have at that point. My ex-husband had worked with the company for 19 years and so for them it was an easy ask. He's still there...
Old Sep 7th 2021, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd think that's actually a reason for them not to sponsor your green card - they pay out thousands to do so, then you could be poached to work elsewhere!
Great point. I have no plan of moving on because this is a fully remote company and that's a massive plus.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A L1 is likely to be quicker anyway even with the 9 months before you're eligible, maybe you could ask them to do both?
The TN is the fastest route but it's I don't want to get into a situation were I have to bounce back into Canada. I'm not 100% sure that I can live in a different state than my employer on the L visa.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Peeps on here know that my work is relocating employees into Austin...tech employees.
Relocating someone is a big cost and of course they will want to know that you will stick around. I can't remember anyone getting EB route authorized and not L1a or L1b first, not even the most senior exec.
Do you have a particular need to get to GC quickly?
Our GC process was started immediately upon arrival with L1a at our request because our daughter was less than 2 years away from going to college and permanent residency is better to have at that point. My ex-husband had worked with the company for 19 years and so for them it was an easy ask. He's still there...
I'm just wary of making an international move on a temporary visa and the possibility of the employer baiting and switching me on the Green Card. My wife would be enrolling in nursing school so the GC would save money if I'm not mistaken.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Why do you need a GC to work remote?
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Why do you need a GC to work remote?
I remember reading that you need to be located in the same town as your employer. This might be just for H1-B. TN doesn't have this restriction. Not sure about L.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

I am not aware of that requirement.

Just wondering why an Employer would sponsor an employee to immigrate to the US to work remote?
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Just wondering why an Employer would sponsor an employee to immigrate to the US to work remote?
They want me on the West coast but you're right I could work from BC or Alberta so it's more my want than company need.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:45 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

No idea of the OP’s industry, but I know of examples of this requirement. Often it’s for government contracts, either for security or purchasing rules. So if that employees skills are needed they need to be moved to the US.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Sounds like it will be down to how strong your position in the company is. GC or I leave?
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tht
No idea of the OP’s industry, but I know of examples of this requirement. Often it’s for government contracts, either for security or purchasing rules. So if that employees skills are needed they need to be moved to the US.
Does not seem the case here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.