British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   tourist visa for usa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/tourist-visa-usa-685453/)

meauxna Sep 16th 2010 3:29 am

Re: tourist visa for usa

Originally Posted by wesleyk (Post 8852059)
thank you..every has there own opinion. and thats why i came on here. lets just forget the whole wwoofing.

It's not just a matter of opinion; do you think you're the first to discover this idea? :)

I knew from your first post that the only way you would be able to spend a year in the US is by working, based only on your previous posts. What conclusion do you think a Consular Officer will draw? The same one. That's why you will find it difficult to get a tourist visa.
I hope you won't badger people here to find out how to deceive the CO to get the visa you want, which doesn't suit your visit purpose.

newXgate Sep 16th 2010 3:07 pm

An interesting take on visa issues with WWOOF from the WWOOF USA website FAQ (emphasis mine)

"6. Will WWOOF help me get a visa or work permit?

No, we can not help you get a visa as we do not have capability to do this. You are responsible to make your own visa arrangements. WWOOF is not paid work, and WWOOF organizations can not help you obtain a work visa. Joining WWOOF-USA is not a means to getting a visa or work permit. Most people outside the United States who come WWOOFing use a holiday or tourist visa. WWOOF-USA cannot assist with visas in any way, including answering questions about visas or providing papers or letters of introduction for visas. Discussing WWOOF with immigration officials can cause confusion and problems. Please direct all your questions about visas to the United States Embassy."

newXgate Sep 16th 2010 3:33 pm

BTW it seems pretty clear that WWOOF activities are essentially work paid for in kind, and as such are not permissible under the WVP or tourist visa. Presumably, in the absence of WWOOF volunteers the work would be done by paid employees so the work also does not qualify as true volunteer work. I like how the WWOOF website totally sidesteps these potential concerns, and essentially says you are on your own with the immigration people.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 16th 2010 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by newXgate (Post 8854473)
BTW it seems pretty clear that WWOOF activities are essentially work paid for in kind, and as such are not permissible under the WVP or tourist visa. Presumably, in the absence of WWOOF volunteers the work would be done by paid employees so the work also does not qualify as true volunteer work. I like how the WWOOF website totally sidesteps these potential concerns, and essentially says you are on your own with the immigration people.

Most people outside the United States who come WWOOFing illegally use a holiday or tourist visa

nettlebed Sep 16th 2010 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 8854498)
Most people outside the United States who come WWOOFing illegally use a holiday or tourist visa

That looks pretty clear. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about ICE going after this, or maybe the organizations are considered too small. I can't believe they are unaware of it.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 16th 2010 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8854505)
That looks pretty clear. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about ICE going after this, or maybe the organizations are considered too small. I can't believe they are unaware of it.

For some reason I keep on seeing Redmond and thinking Romford.

All a bit worrying.

nettlebed Sep 16th 2010 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 8854510)
For some reason I keep on seeing Redmond and thinking Romford.

You're a sick man, Boiler.

All a bit worrying.
Yes, I'd get yourself checked out pronto...

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 16th 2010 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8854521)
You're a sick man, Boiler.

Yes, I'd get yourself checked out pronto...

Not sure if my Medical Insurance covers it.

Bladerunner Sep 17th 2010 9:10 am

It's very possible to do back to back visits on the VWP once, if you have no previous record of frequent visits. I spent 3 months in the states in 2006, came back for Christmas for a week then returned for another stay of almost 3 months.

Obviously, as is stated frequently, there are no guarantees. But if you can display plenty of ties to your home country, including work ties, letter from an employer etc, and have no history of frequent visits, I'd say you had a better than even chance of, say, a ten week stay followed by 2 or 3 weeks away, then another 3 month stay.

Just my opinion mind...