tourist visa for usa

Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

wesleyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tourist visa for usa

next year me and my girlfriend are planning a back packing trip through the states.
we would like to stay there for 12 months, but we know this is not possible. i have heard that you can get a 6 month tourist visa.

does any 1 know if this is true?

im english and she is australian. could you please try and guide us in the right direction

cheers guys
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:29 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tourist visa for usa

Originally Posted by wesleyk
next year me and my girlfriend are planning a back packing trip through the states.
we would like to stay there for 12 months, but we know this is not possible. i have heard that you can get a 6 month tourist visa.

im english and she is australian. could you please try and guide us in the right direction

cheers guys
Hi wesleyk.

I can see you're not new to BE, but are to the USA forum so welcome.

Have a rummage around in the US Immigration and Visas sub-section. You'll get the same level of advice and expertise in there that you've enjoyed in the Australia one. Recommend having a bit of a read before posting as pretty much all the info you want is already there. Then maybe pop back if you have specific questions.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

cheers guys
Maybe a Mod can move this to the US Immigration section.

In general, it will be difficult to get a B2 visa if you qualify to use the VWP. You would have to show strong ties to your homelands...and if you have enough time off to go backpacking for a year, it seems you don't have a job or home to return to, which are the two biggest indicators of ties to your home.

I suggest making two separate trips of less than 90 days each, on the VWP, not back-to-back but spaced out with at least 4 to 6 months in between trips.

Rene
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:04 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to apply for a B2 tourist visa - I did this back in 2001 for an extended trip to the US (we backpacked for 4 months so VWP was no good). It was very easy to get so doubt you'll have problems, although times have changed - my visa was issued just before 9/11.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:24 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
You need to apply for a B2 tourist visa - I did this back in 2001 for an extended trip to the US (we backpacked for 4 months so VWP was no good). It was very easy to get so doubt you'll have problems, although times have changed - my visa was issued just before 9/11.
By many accounts, it is now very difficult to get B1-B2 if you are eligible for the VWP. And if you apply and get refused, you will need to declare that denial on all future VWP travel.

Doesn't mean you won't be able to use VWP, but having a denial on your record will subject you to more scrutiny.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
It was very easy to get so doubt you'll have problems, although times have changed - my visa was issued just before 9/11.
I guess you haven't read all the "my B-2 visa was denied" threads in the immigration forum.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I guess you haven't read all the "my B-2 visa was denied" threads in the immigration forum.
Of course there is a good chance that data is quite heavily biased because generally it is the people whose visa applications are denied that end up posting here trying to figure out what to do next - there isn't much reason for someone who actually got a B-2 visa to tell the world about it.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

cheers guys
wesleyk, you've been living outside the UK for how long now? You know there is NO working on the tourist admission, right? Reviewing your posts, I would say that realistically, you are not a good candidate for a visitor visa to the US at this time. It's also been shown time and again that getting admitted for a year, or back to back 6 months visits does not work for people in your situation, even when they have sufficiently strong ties to their home country (look up the RV travel posts from this forum).

Don't you have a visa application going for Australia?

You should also look closely at the threads posted here about tourist visa denials so you can understand where I'm coming from, and what your chances start to look like.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

The OP´s chances of getting a US Tourist Visa must surely be regarded as pretty slim indeed, based on the information given here.
The odds weigh heavily in favour of a denied visa application, which may or may not affect the chances of obtaining an ESTA clearance for travel to the US. Some people who have been denied a US visa are also being denied an ESTA clearance, while others are being approved, despite having declared a previously denied US Visa on the ESTA application.
There is simply no way to know on beforehand.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:54 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lissbovavd
The OP´s chances of getting a US Tourist Visa must surely be regarded as pretty slim indeed, based on the information given here.
The odds weigh heavily in favour of a denied visa application, which may or may not affect the chances of obtaining an ESTA clearance for travel to the US. Some people who have been denied a US visa are also being denied an ESTA clearance, while others are being approved, despite having declared a previously denied US Visa on the ESTA application.
There is simply no way to know on beforehand.
Dose an ESTA get revoked upon visa denial (I just looked up the ETSA linked to the passport I later got my L1A in and it still shows as approved).

Could one apply for the ESTA, and then assuming its approved apply for the Visa. If that was then denied could you travel on the original ESTA or would it be void?, I looked at the update section on the ESTAand it just had flight and hotel details, it did not show the other questions, like have you been declined for a visa etc. You no longer fill in the I94-W so may not be asked that question again.

tht
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Australians seem to have an easier time getting a B.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Australians seem to have an easier time getting a B.
Really? Any source to this?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by E3only
Really? Any source to this?
Postings

And something I think that has to do with the visa's yanks get to go to the US.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Postings

And something I think that has to do with the visa's yanks get to go to the US.
You mean yanks to go to AUS? What visa are you referring to?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by E3only
You mean yanks to go to AUS? What visa are you referring to?
Sorry AUS

Each country has a different treaty, can not remember the details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.