Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Tourist Visa Granted.....What next?

Tourist Visa Granted.....What next?

Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

David. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tourist Visa Granted.....What next?

Hi everyone,
sorry if this has been answered before, only I can't find a response.

I have attended the US Embassy recently for an interview and have been lucky enough to have been given a DS-160 tourist visa. ( I have had a criminal conviction for battery, of which i am not proud of, but it was in circumstances any parent may probably do the same).

Anyway, as I have stated, I have been lucky enough to gain a tourist visa. My questions are

What forms (if any) do i fill out the plane?
Will I be able to gain entry now?
Will I be subject to an interview on landing at the airport?
Will I be declined entry?

I don't want to spend 6k on a 2 week holiday, only to returned on the next flight. It would kill my kids.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading my post
David
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist Visa Granted.....What next?

Originally Posted by David.
... have been lucky enough to have been given a DS-160 tourist visa.
DS-160 is the form, I think you have a B-2 tourist visa.

You will need to complete an I-94. Airline personnel should give that to you en route.

That will be up to the CBP officer. You have a visa, so that's in your favor... but it is always up to the discretion of the CBP officer.

If, by interview, you mean something more than routine questions that everyone is asked about their trip... then likely not.

See above. No one here can answer that question for you.

I don't want to spend 6k on a 2 week holiday, only to returned on the next flight. It would kill my kids.
I understand, but the US government doesn't much care.

Ian
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

...have been lucky enough to have been given a DS-160 tourist visa.
B-2 tourist visa. I think the DS-160 is the application form number.

I-94 and customs form.

What do you mean "now"? You can travel anytime until the B-2 visa expiration date. Whether you will be admitted to the USA will be up to the POE officer on duty that day.

Not an interview, no. You will probably have to answer the usual questions.

That will be up to the POE officer on duty that day. There's no way anyone can predict the outcome ahead of time.

In general, I'd say there's no reason to think you'll be turned away at the POE, unless the POE officer thinks the visa was issued in error, or thinks you have immigrant intent, or thinks you'll work inside the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
DS-160 is the form, I think you have a B-2 tourist visa.

You will need to complete an I-94. Airline personnel should give that to you en route.

That will be up to the CBP officer. You have a visa, so that's in your favor... but it is always up to the discretion of the CBP officer.

If, by interview, you mean something more than routine questions that everyone is asked about their trip... then likely not.

See above. No one here can answer that question for you.

I understand, but the US government doesn't much care.

Ian

Thanks for your quick response, apologies for incorrectly naming the tourist visa form.

Could you clarify these further points please Ian?

Will all CBP officers be made aware of my history after filling out the I -94 on landing, or do they randomly select?
I assumed that because I have a visa, and not a waiver, they'd automatically pull me to one side you see.
Thanks again
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rene, thank for taking the time to post a response

What do you mean "now"? You can travel anytime until the B-2 visa expiration date. Whether you will be admitted to the USA will be up to the POE officer on duty that day.
I think this has been lost in translation, I meant 'now will i get entry because i have a visa? lol Sorry about that.

In general, I'd say there's no reason to think you'll be turned away at the POE, unless the POE officer thinks the visa was issued in error, or thinks you have immigrant intent, or thinks you'll work inside the USA.
That has eased my worries somewhat. I have no intention of staying, I like the snow and rain in the uk! Thanks
David

Thanks Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 13th 2013 at 4:51 pm. Reason: fixed quotes
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Will all CBP officers be made aware of my history after filling out the I -94 on landing, or do they randomly select?
They won't know anything by looking at the I-94... everyone fills out an I-94. You asked about forms (if any) in general. Only the CBP officer who sees your passport and visa will likely have access to the information. In that sense, it's random... there will be multiple officers and you'll be directed to see one of them.

I assumed that because I have a visa, and not a waiver, they'd automatically pull me to one side you see.
You assume incorrectly.

Ian
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No one knows. It's just up to POE officer. Only US citizens are guaranteed entry into the US, everyone else, up to POE.

Having a visa helps increase your chance. But it's all down to how they feel about your intent.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
No one knows. It's just up to POE officer. Only US citizens are guaranteed entry into the US, everyone else, up to POE.

Having a visa helps increase your chance. But it's all down to how they feel about your intent.
Thanks Bob

my only intent is to have a fantastic holiday ! Hope this is enough to get entry.
Thanks for your time guys
David
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
They won't know anything by looking at the I-94... everyone fills out an I-94. You asked about forms (if any) in general. Only the CBP officer who sees your passport and visa will likely have access to the information. In that sense, it's random... there will be multiple officers and you'll be directed to see one of them.

You assume incorrectly.

Ian
Thanks again, hopefully the guy on POE is in a good mood on the day!