tourist visa "canceled"

Old Sep 20th 2001, 2:07 am
Arman Danielyan

Someone, please help with advise. My mother applied for a tourist visa to travel to
US, and after the initial interview her application was approved and she was asked to
come and pick up her passport from the US Embassy in 2 days. On that date she came,
but the Consul called her again and said that she didn't provide the information
about her son, who is in the US (this was partially true, because I was supposed to
leave the US by that time, but I didn;t). So, she was said that she can not travel to
USA, and the Consul wrote by hand "Canceled" on her visa. My question is: how serious
is it. Does that mean that she will not be able ever to get another visa and to come
to US. (I heard about something like "black list". Does this ward "canceled" refer to
it.) Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old Sep 20th 2001, 1:23 pm
Paulgani

Generally, making a material misrepresentation on a visa application is grounds for a
lifetime ban. I do believe it is possible to apply for a waiver, though.

Paulgani

>
    >
initial
    >
up
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
able
    >
    >

Old Sep 21st 2001, 12:44 pm
Arman Danielyan

Thanks a lot for response. However, do you have any idea on how or where it should be
stated whether she was banned from entry to US or no. Do they stamp this decision in
the passport, or do they give you a written notice, or do they say it verbally? As I
mentioned in my original letter, the only think she got was hand-written word
"Canceled" on her visa. Thanks again.

>
    >
initial
    >
up
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
able
    >
    >

Old Sep 22nd 2001, 12:50 pm
Stephen C. Gallagher

>
    >
    >
verbally?
    >
    >

Usually, when a visa is cancelled without any negative consequences to the holder, it
will be stamped "Cancelled without prejudice". Hand writing the word "cancelled" on
the visa seems quite unusual. Did they write any other code or numbers next to the
word "cancelled"? This could give a clue to the provision of law under which the visa
was cancelled.