Thailand questions

Old Sep 18th 2001, 3:43 am
Pdub

hello all, I'm looking into a visa and had a couple of questions. I've done some
preliminary homework on how to get my sweetheart into the US and wanted some further
advice from the group.
1.Being that she's from Thailand does that pose any additional problems? I've seen on
a couple Lawyers' sites that obtaining visas from Russia, Thailand, and the
Philippines are different than other countries like the UK or Canada for instance.
I would imagine since the social conditions in those countries have contributed to
many women wanting to marry themselves into the US may make it more difficult to
obtain a marriage or fiancé visa.
2. Which method is most expedient the marriage or fiancé visa? the list and some
sites recommend the K1 fiancé visa. It seems the only delays are for the
processing of forms, checking records and documents, and such. From the list it
looks the average times from initial filing to being together in the states is
from 3-6 months. A co worker who is swedish was here on a student visa and married
near the end of it. All she had to do was file in sweden at the consulate and was
able to come right back to the US. She said it might have been so quick because
sweden doesn't have the number of prospective emigrant that Thailand would have.
Which method is best and quickest?
3. My last question is regarding using a lawyer or service vs doing it yourself.
Every law firm will say they can assure much speedier processing times than if you
do it yourself. Maybe maybe not? Will using a lawyer help smooth things out
besides just helping with the paperwork and making sure it's all properly handled?
If question #1 proves true would it be better to use a lawyer?

Any experienced advice or opinions welcomed. Also if anyone has any stories in
particular about trying to bring their loved one to the US from Thailand would be
appreciated. Thanks, God bless America and all the other countries of the globe (even
the ones with some really rotten people in em) Paul

Old Sep 18th 2001, 9:11 am
Stu

<snip>

I also have a fiancée in Thailand that I'm trying to obtain a K-1 Visa for. (I'm
now waiting to receive 'her' completed 1-29f form to forward to Nebraska), so
I'll be watching for replies to your post to see if I can glean any useful
information.

Stu (in Washington State whose fiancée is from Roi-Aet, but
is now residing in Phuket)

Old Sep 18th 2001, 1:31 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Paul,

1. Being from Thailand does not pose any additional problems. The US consulate in Thailand is very 'user-friendly' with regard to K-1 visas.

2. Hard to say at this point whether going the fiance(e) route or the marriage route will be quicker. It used to be that the fiance(e) route was significantly faster, on the order of perhaps 6 months faster on average. The introduction of the new K-3 visa is intended to change that, but the K-3 has just started. I haven't heard of anyone who has gotten all the way through the process from initial I-129f petition to K-3 visa approval, so it's still uncertain whether this new approach will get a wife into the USA as fast as a fiance(e). I'm guessing that it will be hard for the K-3 to beat a K-1 through Vermont, but ought to be able to beat a K-1 through Texas. The traditional marriage visa has an advantage over the fiance(e) visa in that the person will enter the USA as a Permanent Resident (conditional if the date of entry into the USA is less than 2 years after the date of the marriage). This may or may not be important to you.

3. Using a lawyer is unlikely to speed anything up unless you make mistakes or omissions on the filings that the lawyer might not have. On the other hand, inattentive lawyers make mistakes too. Unless your situation has some unusual aspect that would require an experienced lawyer to try to weasel around, you don't need one if you're willing to spend the time to read this newsgroup and do your paperwork carefully.

Chok dii khrap,
JEff

Originally posted by Pdub
hello all, I'm looking into a visa and had a couple of questions. I've done some
preliminary homework on how to get my sweetheart into the US and wanted some further
advice from the group.
1.Being that she's from Thailand does that pose any additional problems? I've seen on
a couple Lawyers' sites that obtaining visas from Russia, Thailand, and the
Philippines are different than other countries like the UK or Canada for instance.
I would imagine since the social conditions in those countries have contributed to
many women wanting to marry themselves into the US may make it more difficult to
obtain a marriage or fiancé visa.
2. Which method is most expedient the marriage or fiancé visa? the list and some
sites recommend the K1 fiancé visa. It seems the only delays are for the
processing of forms, checking records and documents, and such. From the list it
looks the average times from initial filing to being together in the states is
from 3-6 months. A co worker who is swedish was here on a student visa and married
near the end of it. All she had to do was file in sweden at the consulate and was
able to come right back to the US. She said it might have been so quick because
sweden doesn't have the number of prospective emigrant that Thailand would have.
Which method is best and quickest?
3. My last question is regarding using a lawyer or service vs doing it yourself.
Every law firm will say they can assure much speedier processing times than if you
do it yourself. Maybe maybe not? Will using a lawyer help smooth things out
besides just helping with the paperwork and making sure it's all properly handled?
If question #1 proves true would it be better to use a lawyer?

Any experienced advice or opinions welcomed. Also if anyone has any stories in
particular about trying to bring their loved one to the US from Thailand would be
appreciated. Thanks, God bless America and all the other countries of the globe (even
the ones with some really rotten people in em) Paul
Old Sep 22nd 2001, 1:29 pm
Wdaysofwild

Hi well I went the finacee visa route, my finacee is from the phillipines. I
submitted the paperwork in June and she went for her physical last week, I am
expecting her some time in the next couple of weeks. We did not have any problems so
far and I went to see her in May. I met her though a sevice which was very helpful, I
did all of the paperwork and submitted everything myself.