Toronto medical (Dr. Seiden)

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

beershake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto medical (Dr. Seiden)

I just came back from my medical check at Dr. Seiden's office. My general experience was just ok, not great. They seemed a little disorganized (maybe because of SARS panic and because all the nurses were wearing masks). But overall it was ok. Here it is:

I was there at 7.00 am (I was the first one there). First I was made to sign a form that I hadn't had contact with anyone with SARS and that I hadn't traveled to East Asia recently and that I didn't have the symptoms. Then the receptionist took page 2 of the appointment letter and said I would get it back later. Then I went into a small office where a secretary asked me some biographic info like my birth date and place. She took my passport, one picture and $185 cash. Then she directed me to a room and told me to wait. Then I was called to another room to take some blood.. Then, I was redirected back to the initial room, told to take off my clothes, just leave my underwear and socks on, and to put on a paper gown. Then a doctor came in and really quickly:
-Went over my medical history (have I had any major operations, am I mentally ill etc..)
-Looked at my vaccination record and said all my vaccinations were fine.
-Asked if I was taking any medications regularly.

Then (again, real quickly) he, listened to my chest, looked at my throat, took my blood pressure. That was it. Then an older looking lady came in for a 'breast check'. I was told to get dressed and go to the X-ray room.

For the x-ray, I could leave my pants on, just had to take off everything that was on top, and wear the paper gown again. After the x-ray, he told me to wait a few minutes, until he said it was ok to leave. I guessed that he checked whether he needed to redo the x-ray. When he said I could leave, I went back to the receptionist, and she checked me out. Told me to come back at 3.30 to get the results.

Nothing to worry about. Pretty routine if you are in general good health.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 2:38 pm

sbnw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toronto medical (Dr. Seiden)

Originally posted by beershake
I just came back from my medical check at Dr. Seiden's office. My general experience was just ok, not great. They seemed a little disorganized (maybe because of SARS panic and because all the nurses were wearing masks). But overall it was ok. Here it is:

I was there at 7.00 am (I was the first one there). First I was made to sign a form that I hadn't had contact with anyone with SARS and that I hadn't traveled to East Asia recently and that I didn't have the symptoms. Then the receptionist took page 2 of the appointment letter and said I would get it back later. Then I went into a small office where a secretary asked me some biographic info like my birth date and place. She took my passport, one picture and $185 cash. Then she directed me to a room and told me to wait. Then I was called to another room to take some blood.. Then, I was redirected back to the initial room, told to take off my clothes, just leave my underwear and socks on, and to put on a paper gown. Then a doctor came in and really quickly:
-Went over my medical history (have I had any major operations, am I mentally ill etc..)

Then (again, real quickly) he, listened to my chest, looked at my throat, took my blood pressure. That was it. Then an older looking lady came in for a 'breast check'. I was told to get dressed and go to the X-ray room.

For the x-ray, I could leave my pants on, just had to take off everything that was on top, and wear the paper gown again. After the x-ray, he told me to wait a few minutes, until he said it was ok to leave. I guessed that he checked whether he needed to redo the x-ray. When he said I could leave, I went back to the receptionist, and she checked me out. Told me to come back at 3.30 to get the results.

Thanks for the info - when did you book the appointment? When I called them, I was informed that you could call a couple of days before - just want to make sure.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Gryphon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for the update, glad it went off without a hitch. Sounds like it didn't take any longer than a regular visit with the doctor.

Dr. Seiden's office called me and advised I should have the antibody titre test while I'm in the US because the turnaround time for results is only a couple days, whereas if I got the test done up there, it's 3-4 weeks!! I just had the test yesterday (I get the results tomorrow), so that will be the proof they need that I've been immunized against or have had measles, mumps, ruebella, tetanus and diptheria (since my own doctor is being unco-operative about mailing me copies of what I had shots for and when).

You may have to pay for the medical treatment down here, but so far from what I've experienced (since I go see my OB every 2 weeks now), it's worth it - the care I've been getting has been excellent. The doctors offices co-operate with eachother, I'm not kept waiting for an hour at a time for a 5 minute exam like I was at my own doctor in Brampton, and test results are in a day, 2 max, as opposed to the "we might call you next week, and only if anything is wrong". But we have insurance - we'd be in big (financial) trouble if we didn't.

BTW, there is a Travelodge maybe 2 blocks from the Consulate at 50 Rene-Levesque Blvd West - 514-874-9090. The rates seem to be more reasonable than the Wyndham, so I think that's where we'll stay, even tho it's not as convenient. We probably won't reach Montreal until around 10 or so Monday nite, but I doubt I'll be able to sleep so if you want to hook up for a beer or a cup of herbal tea, drop me an email and we'll see what we can arrange.

It will be so nice to join my husband permanently instead of just visiting him, and to finally have all our own stuff in the house instead of having everyone elses furniture, dishes, etc. And we'll have our rocking chair here in time for the baby.

Cheers!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>...

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 4:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Or you might want to try this B&B as posted by Perdue after her US Consulate I-130 interview in Montreal:

Name: Perdue
Interview date: December 21, 2000

My I-130 interview was this past Friday in Montreal. I arrived in Montreal on Thursday afternoon, and took a taxi from the train station to my B & B. I stayed at the B & B Square St-Louis...beautiful home (biggest Christmas tree I've ever seen inside a house in my life!) and a very picturesque neighbourhood. The room was $55 a night...extremely comfortable ..... The B & B is about a 20-25 minute walk from the consulate...probably less if you don't have to slog through slush!

Rete

Originally posted by Gryphon
Thanx for the update, glad it went off without a hitch. Sounds like it didn't take any longer than a regular visit with the doctor.

Dr. Seiden's office called me and advised I should have the antibody titre test while I'm in the US because the turnaround time for results is only a couple days, whereas if I got the test done up there, it's 3-4 weeks!! I just had the test yesterday (I get the results tomorrow), so that will be the proof they need that I've been immunized against or have had measles, mumps, ruebella, tetanus and diptheria (since my own doctor is being unco-operative about mailing me copies of what I had shots for and when).

You may have to pay for the medical treatment down here, but so far from what I've experienced (since I go see my OB every 2 weeks now), it's worth it - the care I've been getting has been excellent. The doctors offices co-operate with eachother, I'm not kept waiting for an hour at a time for a 5 minute exam like I was at my own doctor in Brampton, and test results are in a day, 2 max, as opposed to the "we might call you next week, and only if anything is wrong". But we have insurance - we'd be in big (financial) trouble if we didn't.

BTW, there is a Travelodge maybe 2 blocks from the Consulate at 50 Rene-Levesque Blvd West - 514-874-9090. The rates seem to be more reasonable than the Wyndham, so I think that's where we'll stay, even tho it's not as convenient. We probably won't reach Montreal until around 10 or so Monday nite, but I doubt I'll be able to sleep so if you want to hook up for a beer or a cup of herbal tea, drop me an email and we'll see what we can arrange.

It will be so nice to join my husband permanently instead of just visiting him, and to finally have all our own stuff in the house instead of having everyone elses furniture, dishes, etc. And we'll have our rocking chair here in time for the baby.

Cheers!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>...
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

I just got my results back- The results were already ready when I went there at 3. pm. I was told not to open the sealed envelope, that everything was normal. I was also given my chest x-ray.

I had made my appointment just a few days before the medical check. In fact, I was sick so I had to postpone it twice, and both times they were pretty flexible with scheduling another appointment. I think it's ok as long as you call a few days or perhaps a week in advance.

Gryphon- We'll be driving up from Toronto on Monday, so we'll probably pretty tired that night. But I'll definitely be up for doing something AFTER the interview. I'm sure I'll see you at the Consulate on Tuesday morning, or perhaps (hopefully) when we go back in the afternoon to collect our visas (!!!!!)... Anyway, we can talk then.

I prepared everything in a folder- including last 3 years tax returns & W-2's (even though we submitted them before to the NVC), 2002 w-2, 2002 extention form, and proof of employment. I'm guessing that it won't be a problem that we filed for an extention since the government owes us!!

Good luck and see you on Tuesday!

Rete- Thanks for your links- I already went to the kamya website and read all the Montreal interview experiences. They sure are helpful.. I'll be sure to post my experience afterwards.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:46 pm
Duran

> BTW, there is a Travelodge maybe 2 blocks from the Consulate at 50
    > Rene-Levesque Blvd West - 514-874-9090. The rates seem to be more
    > reasonable than the Wyndham, so I think that's where we'll stay, even
    > tho it's not as convenient. We probably won't reach Montreal until
    > around 10 or so Monday nite, but I doubt I'll be able to sleep so if you
    > want to hook up for a beer or a cup of herbal tea, drop me an email and
    > we'll see what we can arrange.

I stayed at that travelodge when I had my interview in Montreal. I paid $75
for the night for the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in...ever! It
is an ok hotel, but be prepared for cramped rooms, especially if there are 2
of you going.

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Just a bit of a need to vent:

In the end, the hardest part of the process (for me) has been getting my husband to cooperate on this issue. I've had no problem with doing all the work, but I wanted him to be supportive. He has been just the opposite, fighting with me about every single piece of paper that I need to take. He thinks I've become 'out of control' with this issue. He thinks I'm a crazy maniac who just LOVES to make photocopies of everything. But I'm just being wise and prepared. This is a very important process and I want everything to go smoothly. I really don't get it. What is his problem?? !!!
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

He's probably just as nervous as you and could be worried that if you take TOO much paper (and no, I don't think there's such a thing in the case of immigration) you might look disorganized, or lose stuff. If it makes you feel any better, I'm photocopy happy too - I'll be taking 2 copies of everything I'm bringing, an extra 1 for me, and 1 to keep with my hubby. It's definitely better safe than sorry!

>>>>>>>>>>.
Just a bit of a need to vent:

In the end, the hardest part of the process (for me) has been getting my husband to cooperate on this issue. I've had no problem with doing all the work, but I wanted him to be supportive. He has been just the opposite, fighting with me about every single piece of paper that I need to take. He thinks I've become 'out of control' with this issue. He thinks I'm a crazy maniac who just LOVES to make photocopies of everything. But I'm just being wise and prepared. This is a very important process and I want everything to go smoothly. I really don't get it. What is his problem?? !!!
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanx for the headsup Duran, but it will just be me in my room (my Dad can get his own), and it's just a place to rest my head for the night. As long as it's clean, it's fine with me.

>>>>>>>>>>
Originally posted by Duran
    > BTW, there is a Travelodge maybe 2 blocks from the Consulate at 50
    > Rene-Levesque Blvd West - 514-874-9090. The rates seem to be more
    > reasonable than the Wyndham, so I think that's where we'll stay, even
    > tho it's not as convenient. We probably won't reach Montreal until
    > around 10 or so Monday nite, but I doubt I'll be able to sleep so if you
    > want to hook up for a beer or a cup of herbal tea, drop me an email and
    > we'll see what we can arrange.

I stayed at that travelodge when I had my interview in Montreal. I paid $75
for the night for the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in...ever! It
is an ok hotel, but be prepared for cramped rooms, especially if there are 2
of you going.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

sparky22 is an unknown quantity at this point

can you please post the Dr. phone number and address, thanks
Old Apr 24th 2003, 3:03 pm
Cdn Chick

Beershake,
Join the club ... My fiance thinks I'm a complete maniac too!! I mean,
he's just NOT reading my emails when I ask him for something!!! He
apparently sends me what he "thinks" he should .. Not what I asked to
have sent (which is, by the way, EXACTLY what the consulate and/or BCIS
requires!!)
Men ... !! ;-)

"beershake" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Just a bit of a need to vent:
    > In the end, the hardest part of the process (for me) has been getting my
    > husband to cooperate on this issue. I've had no problem with doing all