Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Thumbs up to the Sacramento INS office! - Some advice needed though! :-)

Thumbs up to the Sacramento INS office! - Some advice needed though! :-)

Old Nov 21st 2001, 3:03 pm
Lezahmich

Hi all

Just HAD to write and give credit where credit is due really..... and to give a bit
of a thumbs up to the Sacramento INS office.

On Monday, I finally went to file our AOS papers. I was really nervous as my husband
had to work - so I was all on my own and was concerned about the INS looking on that
badly. And of course, I was full of just the general anxiety of the whole thing. I
was also ready to be faced with lots of very rude INS officers and other official
people who were ready to do their best to make my life difficult! I needn't have
worried at all.

Arrived at the INS nice and early - 4.30am. About 6 people in front of me. Just as
well I arrived when I did as not so long afterwards, more people started to arrive
and by 5.30 - 6am there was quite a gathering! I sat down, got out my book and
waited. 7am on the dot they opened the doors. The officers at the door were quite
pleasant, very controlled in the way they let people in (so you didn't end up with
people way behind you streaming past you as you had your bag searched!). I went
upstairs, went to the window and got my ticket - number 202 - I was second for AOS.

I went through to the other room and sat down to wait. They were already dealing
with 201 so I figured it wouldn't be too long. There was quite a lot of people there
for other business too, but only one window was open that early. After a few mins,
the officer made an announcement - "welcome to the Sacramento INS" he started! He
then proceeded to let people know waiting for certain windows that they'd probably
have to wait until 8am so they were free to go get a coffee or something. He then
came out and put a movie on for everyone to watch while they were waiting! ))) He
very very politely asked everyone to double check their forms while they were
waiting as it would help them immensely, apologised that people would have to wait
and promised to deal with everyone as quick as he could, telling people to just try
and relax and enjoy the movie in the meantime. I nearly fell over in shock at how
friendly this guy was!

It was about 7.45 by the time I got called forward. I had the paperwork all very
organised, clipped together in sections and it was very easy to deal with. I went up
to the window and the guy was very polite. I showed him our paperwork - he seemed
impressed at my organization! He said to go have a seat and he'd call me back up
once he'd reviewed it. I watched him go through it - I think I must've had about 20
litters of kittens by the time he called me back! I went back up to the window and he
had our file all prepared. He handed me the letter regarding the fingerprints and
then, to my surprise, handed me the interview appointment letter! He had scheduled it
for April 2002. No queries on our paperwork AT ALL - no questions on anything. We had
supplied a bundle of payslips for my husband - he gave them back to me saying they
didn't need them until the interview. He then asked me if I had any questions for him
- I said not at that time, no. He then said he'd pass over my file to the duty
officer and I'd be called again. I went and sat down - got my book out and just
relaxed for a while.

About an hour later, I got called to the cashier's window. The woman was very nice. I
saw my employment application stamped with APPROVED. I paid the money ($455) and
the cashier told me to go to room 2-220. I went along and put my form in the window.

Waiting for the EAD took the longest in the end. I seemed to get caught up between
the people arriving for their interviews and the room was a bit chaotic. By this time
I also had a horrible headache that was getting steadily worse.

Finally, I got called into the EAD room - I had to sign a card for my signature on
the EAD and the girl took my photograph. No questions at all about anything. She was
really friendly and commented on how she knew several people with the same birthday
as me. 10 mins later, she called me in and handed me my EAD.

I finally got out of the INS around noon. It was a long morning, but in all fairness,
given the volume of people there, my paperwork went through very smoothly and the
most annoying thing about it if anything was just the waiting around. Everyone I
dealt with was courteous, friendly and helpful - far from what I was expecting!

So there you go! EAD issued. I went to the Social Security office yesterday - no
problems there - the guy was very polite - didn't even LOOK at my birth certificate -
he was only interested in my passport and my EAD. The SS card is in the post and I
should have it in a few days.

I do need a little advice here though. As I mentioned - INS interview for my hubby
and I in April. This is quite quick and I'm a little concerned about having enough
evidence for them by that time. My hubby and I have plans to move in the next couple
of months (staying in the area) but by the time we get everything organised with
joint names on things etc.... there won't be very much to give to the INS. I know
there have been a couple of people on here who have had to go to their interview only
a few months after filing.....what was the deal regarding evidence? Any advice on
this would be appreciated.

Meantime - thanks to the Sacramento office for making what I anticipated as a
terrifying experience, somewhat painless and easy.

Good luck to everyone else!

Haze

Old Nov 21st 2001, 5:15 pm
Chris Payne

Hi there,

Congratulations on everything so far

If you have been married for less than 2 years don't worry about evidence of living
together too much or it will make you sick. Believe me, me and my wife went through
this EXACT same thing with worrying a couple of months ago at our interview in
Orlando but as it turned out they don't expect you to have everything if you haven't
been married long.

My advice is this, get as many letters from friends, family and neighbours confirming
you live together and giving as much information on your relationship as possible -
but make sure each letter is different so they don't think you scripted them on what
to write

Also, take in ANY junk mail you may have received, I took in Credit Card letters
saying I had been approved for a Credit Card - that wasn't important, what WAS
important was my name and address. Also, get your family and friends abroad to send
you letters and keep the envelopes too to show international mail arrives at the
address you both live.

But most importantly, keep calm - don't panic, I did and I was out of the interview
in 15 minutes and passed with flying colors. Take in all the bills you or your
husband has as they will need some of these for their records - they want more from
the USC at this stage than the intending immigrant - they will have plenty of time
for the immigrants information when you or your spouse has to remove the conditions -
so save everything you have from the date you get the I551 stamp.

Good luck with everything

Chris Payne www.planetoxygene.com