Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

temp relocation back to the UK...do we or don't we?

temp relocation back to the UK...do we or don't we?

Old Jul 25th 2001, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Allivymar is an unknown quantity at this point

hi folks

i've posted this question on the alt.visa.us.marriage-based newsgroup, and feel this would also be a good place to get answers

the hubby is in the process of AOS and has been since april of 2000. the company he works for here in the states is in the midst of a project back in his home country (england) and is asking for senior developers to go over there for a few months to assist.

i've contacted INS (and after a few LONG waits, spoke to someone who seemed to have more then 2 brain cells to rub together LOL). according to the woman i spoke to: we should start the renewal of the hubby's EAD and renew the AP now, as it will be expiring in a few months; if we do go, we need to send a letter to the i-485 adjustment unit on company letterhead saying why we are going, where we are going and for how long; the trip should be no longer then 6 months, and the time we are gone extends the wait time for AOS.

it all sounded pretty sensible to me, but after spending the past 2 years dealing with US INS sensible is not usually their standard operating procedure LOL

so, i'm looking for anyone who has done something similar; i would LOVE to hear your experiences, and any suggestions you might have.

thanx!
allison