Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Teaching a course/seminar in the US

Wikiposts

Teaching a course/seminar in the US

Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Rippers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching a course/seminar in the US

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Would it count as a church?
You are a foreign member of a religious denomination having a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the US and entering the US to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation Search for: R1.
Yes, just read that bit. Possibly. Its part of a religion that I'm looking to teach as a profession or occupation.

Would that cover it, do you think?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rippers
Yes, just read that bit. Possibly. Its part of a religion that I'm looking to teach as a profession or occupation.

Sorry, I don't know anything about that visa but it could be worth a closer look. I think you would need a branch of the church here to sponsor you.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:00 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have an organization to work with? Really what makes you stand out? Although it is different, note the difficulty that Derren Brown had (with production support) in getting a free audience for his show in America with a faith healer.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that.

So I'd need to look to relocate? I'm just at the early stages of this, so any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.
Well yes, you'd need a visa to be able to work and you'd relocate because of the job.

The chances are slim to none of getting the visa to work in the first place though.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Do you have an organization to work with? Really what makes you stand out? Although it is different, note the difficulty that Derren Brown had (with production support) in getting a free audience for his show in America with a faith healer.
What makes me stand out? I want to specialize in beginners/intermediate levels and offer much smaller classes than the seminars for a hundred people. 1-1 coaching for modern mediums. Not faith healers.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Sorry, I don't know anything about that visa but it could be worth a closer look. I think you would need a branch of the church here to sponsor you.
Yeah, sounds like a good idea. Thank you.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:09 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

What makes me stand out? I want to specialize in beginners/intermediate levels and offer much smaller classes than the seminars for a hundred people. 1-1 coaching for modern mediums. Not faith healers.
'not faith healers' that is partly why I said, it is different.

I just want to point out the need for researching your market; which you may have done, but it has not been made clear here.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung
'not faith healers' that is partly why I said, it is different.

I just want to point out the need for researching your market; which you may have done, but it has not been made clear here.
Absolutely. As I've mentioned, I'm at the very early stages, and part of that research is asking some questions here.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD

After a brief look around I don't think the R1 will fly, but I wonder if establishing links with a spiritualist church here could give the opportunity for an exchange visit or something similar at least?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:37 am
Just Joined

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD

After a brief look around I don't think the R1 will fly, but I wonder if establishing links with a spiritualist church here could give the opportunity for an exchange visit or something similar at least?
Thank you. I appreciate your time looking in to it for me.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

R1'a are closely scrutinised due to the level of fraud.

Which is quite funny if you think about it.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:13 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I see a happy and fulfilling career in your future, but not in the USA.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't there dead people who can point you in the right direction? I mean, if they can tell me someone who has passed, with the initials P or T, is looking out for me, surely they can tell you what letter(s) visa is applicable for your situation.

Oh, and money is on your mind. And also a journey.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious...

Isn't it the case that people come over to the US to run seminars all the time...? I imagine there is a US-based organisation that takes care of the sales operation, taking the money etc, and then pays a fee to the seminar instructor...

I'm not suggesting it doesn't need a visa, just wondering how all these other people do it...

I know for me I was the employee of an overseas part of the US based company and when I came over here to deliver training I didn't need a visa - I wasn't being paid by a US entity... neither though was it for an open audience... not sure to what extent any of this would apply in this case but it might be an avenue worth exploring...

Cheers

Harry
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
I'm curious...

Isn't it the case that people come over to the US to run seminars all the time...? I imagine there is a US-based organisation that takes care of the sales operation, taking the money etc, and then pays a fee to the seminar instructor...

I'm not suggesting it doesn't need a visa, just wondering how all these other people do it...

I know for me I was the employee of an overseas part of the US based company and when I came over here to deliver training I didn't need a visa - I wasn't being paid by a US entity... neither though was it for an open audience... not sure to what extent any of this would apply in this case but it might be an avenue worth exploring...

Cheers

Harry
I believe there is a caveat about allowable "business activities" that is distinct from "working" under the VWP. No doubt it is a fine line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.