Tax Question - Dependants

Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

ControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant future
Default Tax Question - Dependants

When my husband fills out his W-2, can he list me as a dependant?
We haven't started the AOS process yet, as we need this years tax return.

CF
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Question - Dependants

Originally Posted by ControlFreak

CF
Yes, he can.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

CF
You can file AOS now and use taxes from years 2003, 2002, and 2001.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, he can.

Rene

Technically, you are not a dependent. You are a spouse. He can file married, joint or separately, for the increase in standard deduction accorded that filing status.

However you need a social security number for him to do this or an ITIN from the IRS.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Technically, you are not a dependent. You are a spouse. He can file married, joint or separately, for the increase in standard deduction accorded that filing status.

However you need a social security number for him to do this or an ITIN from the IRS.
I always confuse "dependants" with "deductions". He can count her as 1 in the number of deductions he claims, right?

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:19 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I always confuse "dependants" with "deductions". He can count her as 1 in the number of deductions he claims, right?

Rene
Yep! Assuming that they are filing under the "married, filing jointly" category.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:51 pm
Banned

Johndoe is an unknown quantity at this point

There is NO WAY under the existing tax code that a spouse can be a dependant. When your husband is married on the last day of the calendar year, he MUST file taxes either as married filing jointly or married filing separately, and he must show you as the spouse.

That applies whether or not you have any income. Even if you stayed home from Jan 1 to December 31, you CANNOT be a dependent from the tax code view.

A dependant is a totally different concept from the concept of a spouse and the two should not be confused, as far as taxes go.

Regarding the number of deductions on the W-4, thats an individual choice. You need to look at the taxes taken out of your check as a with-holding tax that you pay slowly by slowly in the course of the year. The more dependents you show, the less money is taken out of your taxes because tax liability is based on the number of dependents.

Whether your spouse counts you or not in the W4, at the end of the year when he files taxes, the 1040 will calculate what he SHOULD have been taxed and he either gets a refund or pays back more if less was with held than should have been.

It doesnt matter how many dependents you show on the W4, the tax liability ends up the same at the end of the year.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:27 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

CF,

There's no place on a W-2 to list a dependent - a W-2 is an employer's report of employee earnings.

I think you meant to ask about some other form?

Regards, JEff

CF
Old Jan 29th 2005, 6:55 am
Jonathan McNeil Wong

Noorah101 wrote:
    >>Technically, you are not a dependent. You are a spouse. He can file
    >>married, joint or separately, for the increase in standard deduction
    >>accorded that filing status.
    >>However you need a social security number for him to do this or an
    >>ITIN from the IRS.
    >
    >
    > I always confuse "dependants" with "deductions". He can count her as 1
    > in the number of deductions he claims, right?
    >
    > Rene
    >

"Exemptions" actually, if you are referring to the 1040.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

================================================== =============
Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue, Gallagher Woods LLP Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 http://www.donahue.com
Oakland, CA 94604-2979 E-mail: [email protected]

Old Jan 29th 2005, 6:57 am
Jonathan McNeil Wong

jeffreyhy wrote:
    >>When my husband fills out his W-2, can he list me as a
    >>dependant?
    >>We haven't started the AOS process yet, as we need this years
    >>tax return.
    >>CF :)
    >
    >
    > CF,
    >
    > There's no place on a W-2 to list a dependent - a W-2 is an employer's
    > report of employee earnings.
    >
    > I think you meant to ask about some other form?
    >
    > Regards, JEff
    >

Maybe the W-4? In that case it's actually "withholding allowances"
rather than exemptions or deductions.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue, Gallagher Woods LLP Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 http://www.donahue.com