Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Switching from L1-B (with waiver) to B2 visa

Switching from L1-B (with waiver) to B2 visa

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Comedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Switching from L1-B (with waiver) to B2 visa

I recently quit my job in the states and moved back to the UK but I need to go in and out of the country for a while to tie up all my loose ends and stuff. Only problem is that my employment officially ends on nov 9th and therefore so does my visa, the visa has a waiver on it so I'm not eligible to travel to the country without a new visa.

My L1 currently has an expiration of Jan 2011 and so does the waiver on it.

Does anyone know if I can easily transfer this waiver to a B2 tourist visa without having to provide a copy of my record again to the embassy?.. I'm happy to go to the embassy for the visa but I'd rather not wait 6 weeks for the forms from the police I've had to provide every other time my waiver has expired.. difference is this time the waiver isn't expiring, I just want to change the status of the visa.

Related.. does anyone know if there is any leniency toward using a work visa to enter the country in this situation?

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching from L1-B (with waiver) to B2 visa

Originally Posted by Comedy
... the visa has a waiver on it so I'm not eligible to travel to the country without a new visa.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Your visa is no longer valid, and anything tied to it is also no longer valid.

Does anyone know if I can easily transfer this waiver to a B2 tourist visa without having to provide a copy of my record again to the embassy?
Why not use the VWP? That'll give you 90 days in the US without the need to apply for a formal visa. Will it take longer than 90 days to tie up your "loose ends and stuff"?

Ian
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching from L1-B (with waiver) to B2 visa

He can't use the VWP. He has a 212(d)(3)(A) waiver of ineligibility on his L1 visa. He probably has CIMT/Controlled substance issues or a prior overstay.

He's asking if the waiver notation would simply be migrated to his new visa, or if he would have to go through the waiver process again with associated delays. He also doesn't want to wait for police records.

I'd say the length of the approval process is dependent on how long ago the convictions were. If they were long enough ago, the consulate could make the decision on their own. If not, they may need to get concurrence from DHS. That would add time.

If the last police record is old then they're going to want to see them again to see if any new offenses are on them. They may take the same record again, but only if they are recent.

Last edited by crg; Nov 3rd 2009 at 1:18 pm.