N-600 A Train Mate's Story

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default N-600 A Train Mate's Story

Funny what you learn about a person what you speak to only on the train going to work in the morning. We were talking about it being election day today and she said that she doesn't have to worry about who to vote for since she is only a PR. I asked if she were planning on naturalizing and she replied that she has her appointment in two weeks for her interview.

While talking more on the subject it comes about after she showed me the letter from the USCIS that she is not going for an N-400 interview but rather for an N-600 interview.

She was not born in the US but became a PR along with her mother, father and sister and brother over 20 years ago. Her mother and father became US citizens many years ago and no one told them that their children were US citizens automatically when they did if they were under the age of 18 which they were at the time.

My train mate called the 1-800-missinformation number and was told that she needed to file the N-600 in order to become a USC and would have to pass a test and an interview. She mailed out the N-600 and in two weeks is going for the interview. She was never told that she was already a USC (her married were married when she was born and up until the day her father died) and could apply for a US passport at any time with the proper documentation.

She was thrilled to learn that she will not have to take a test and won't need to go to an oath ceremony.

Strangely though, the letter from USCIS asks her to bring her parents' marriage license, her father's death certificate, her tax returns for the last five years, her school transcripts, and her parents' naturalization certificates.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: N-600 A Train Mate's Story

Originally Posted by Rete
Funny what you learn about a person what you speak to only on the train going to work in the morning. We were talking about it being election day today and she said that she doesn't have to worry about who to vote for since she is only a PR. I asked if she were planning on naturalizing and she replied that she has her appointment in two weeks for her interview.

While talking more on the subject it comes about after she showed me the letter from the USCIS that she is not going for an N-400 interview but rather for an N-600 interview.

She was not born in the US but became a PR along with her mother, father and sister and brother over 20 years ago. Her mother and father became US citizens many years ago and no one told them that their children were US citizens automatically when they did if they were under the age of 18 which they were at the time.

My train mate called the 1-800-missinformation number and was told that she needed to file the N-600 in order to become a USC and would have to pass a test and an interview. She mailed out the N-600 and in two weeks is going for the interview. She was never told that she was already a USC (her married were married when she was born and up until the day her father died) and could apply for a US passport at any time with the proper documentation.

She was thrilled to learn that she will not have to take a test and won't need to go to an oath ceremony.

Strangely though, the letter from USCIS asks her to bring her parents' marriage license, her father's death certificate, her tax returns for the last five years, her school transcripts, and her parents' naturalization certificates.
Rete:

My family lore had it that my mother had to register as an "enemy alien" during WWII [right, like a Jew is going to spy for an ally of Nazi Germany, but I digress]. So she naturalized in 1943 just before marrying Dad.

Mom kept her certificate in the lock box and I never saw it until after she died. Her certificate was a Certificate of Citizenship stating she had been a citizen since April 1940 -- which happened to be the date her parents naturalized.