Surrendering green card

Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:37 am
Just Joined

confusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud of
Question Surrendering green card

Hi,
I'm 22 and have lived in the US for the past 7 months, and have a permanent resident card valid for 10 years. I don't think I'm ready to live here yet and would like to return to the UK, however I would like to live here in the future. If I were to surrender/lose my green card through living abroad and my relatives petitioned for me again in the future, could I regain the green card? Would surrendering the card have any affect on a future application?
Any help is gratefully aprreciated, thanks!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:52 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surrendering green card

Originally Posted by confusedgirl
Hi,
I'm 22 and have lived in the US for the past 7 months, and have a permanent resident card valid for 10 years. I don't think I'm ready to live here yet and would like to return to the UK, however I would like to live here in the future. If I were to surrender/lose my green card through living abroad and my relatives petitioned for me again in the future, could I regain the green card? Would surrendering the card have any affect on a future application?
You could gain a new green card through a future petition, as long as you are eligible for a new green card at that time. Rules may change between now and then, and application times for the different categories probably will change. It might be easier, it will likely be harder, or it may be impossible, and it will certainly cost $$$$. Your current card likely won't have any real influence one way or another (unless you can prove that you never abandoned it - not easy), provided that you haven't broken any rules yet.

Best think long and hard on this one.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't given it long if you've only been there 7 months. Why don't you get a reentry permit and go back to the UK for a while, and leave your options open re returning to the US in another year or so?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by confusedgirl
Hi,
Hi:

Double sigh. WHY does every focus on TIME alone when discussing abandonment issues? You don't give anywhere enough facts to back up your question.

The ONLY ready thing that pops up in my mind is to file the I-131 application for a two year reentry permit. Also, if you work in the UK, make sure to file your US income tax returns on that income. Also, if you work, employment by a United States Employer in the UK might not be such a bad idea.

Abandonment issues are an intensely "fact-specific" issue.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Double sigh. WHY does every focus on TIME alone when discussing abandonment issues?
Don't think anybody had focused on time -- including the OP.