Stupid law enforcement rules USA

Old May 25th 2009, 4:36 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid law enforcement rules USA

Originally Posted by crg14624
I'd rather they be doing that than napping under a shade tree in the park watching netflix movies on it.

Considering how many miles they must be driving, and how I've never seen a smashed cop car at the side of the road, I'd suspect that overall they are behaving in a safe manner.
What percentage of cars are cops cars ?
How many accidents do you see on a daily basis ?

Stupid argument
Old May 25th 2009, 4:41 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
And it is ok for them to use them whilst driving is it ??
Solitaire and minesweeper are OK, but games like SecondLife can only be played at slower vehicle speeds.

Actually it can by how they police the laws and by the law makers themselves.
My point being, without law breakers you have no revenue. I concede that a failure to enforce the law will limit revenue, but that was not the point I was making.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:44 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid argument

Have you really watched them typing on their machines as they zip by you in their police car? Have you manufactured your own Unmanned Arial Vehicle to observe all of the cop cars to see under what circumstances they use the devices? Is it only at stoplights?

Unless you spend your day in handcuffs riding in the back of cop cars observing their work, then your assertion is unfounded and stupid.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:46 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you spend your day in handcuffs riding in the back of cop cars observing their work, then your assertion is unfounded and stupid.
I see it on a daily basis as the cruise up and down a street near my house. If you could just clarify what definition of the word "unfounded" first hand evidence falls into then I can get on with the rest of my day.

Cheers
Old May 25th 2009, 4:56 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I see it on a daily basis as the cruise up and down a street near my house. If you could just clarify what definition of the word "unfounded" first hand evidence falls into then I can get on with the rest of my day.

Cheers
un·found·ed (n-foundd)
adj.
1. Not based on fact or sound evidence; groundless. See Synonyms at baseless.
2. Not yet established.

It says "sound evidence". The claim that you can see through car doors as they zip by your house on a daily basis doesn't meet the definition of "sound evidence" to me.

If my observation that I don't see smashed police cars all over the place isn't considered sound evidence then your claim to daily observations of the interior activities taking place inside passing police cars isn't either.

Your "sound evidence" is essentially "because I said so". That only works on 3 year olds.

If you have empirical evidence that police cars get in more accidents (not counting pursuits) per mile of driving than other vehicles, then I'd believe that there is excessively risky behavior taking place therein. Short of that, it's all just pure conjecture.
Old May 25th 2009, 5:10 pm
Thinking about it

un·found·ed (n-foundd)
adj.
1. Not based on fact or sound evidence; groundless. See Synonyms at baseless.
2. Not yet established.

It says "sound evidence". The claim that you can see through car doors as they zip by your house on a daily basis doesn't meet the definition of "sound evidence" to me.
No - I see them on a mile straight road NEAR (read again) my house. Thanks to my reasonable vision I am able to clearly see through the windscreens of cars coming towards me to discern that the user has one hand on wheel, another hand on laptop keyboard and face towards laptop screen.
Now I am not claiming that all cops do this based on my own first hand evidence - I mean, to make sweeping statements like that would just be stupid, wouldn't it...
Old May 25th 2009, 5:27 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Wearing a seatbelt and not buckling it is the same as not wearing it! What does she do when she's on plane and has to buckle up? My dad is 6'3" and about 325 and he can buckle his seatbelt. If she can't buckle it she needs to get a seatbelt extender and not meaning to sound rude if she is so big that she can't buckle it she is endangering her health! It's not a stupid law. It's a law that has saved thousands of lives! The law is the same in the UK . Drivers must wear a seatbelt!
Old May 25th 2009, 8:03 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid argument
DH works for the local PD and in his 18 months there, less than 5 police cars have been "crashed." (We have a pop. of 40,000 but I do not know how many cruisers we have.) One of the cruisers was smashed into while pulled over completely on the berm (sp?) of an exit ramp and the others were damaged in parking lots while investigating shoplifting cases. The police are trained on how to multi-task while on patrol.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Should move to NH...don't have to wear a belt there I don't think...

Anyway, it's been mentioned already, there's plenty of stupid road rules and narky annoying cops about, but this isn't one of those situations.

Think of it this way, if she doesn't mind getting killed in an accident, I certainly don't want her flying through the windshield and killing me if involved in an accident.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... At least Americans don't have to go to the special "Beer Store".
You do in Mass
Old May 25th 2009, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

garrettciaran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Lets be honest. She wasn't wearing it. It was slung over a shoulder to make it look like she was wearing it.

If she drives that car regularly then take it to dealer and have an extra long seat belt installed to accommodate her girth.

The law is the law. Obey it and be fine; disobey it and be fined

She couldnt buckle it because she has a big belly, but I'm not judging size.

The vehicle is an Oldsmobile and they dont have very long belts.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by thinbrit
... 'Revenue' cannot be increased by the police, it is driven by those who break the law.
Oh but it can....there's a reason state troopers in Maine will tag a slower driver with Mass or NY tags than a Maine tag who is weaving and driving faster, Mainer will more likely get the ticket tossed whilst out of stater won't bother come back to Augusta to contest it.

It's one thing to be high and mighty about this, but it should be applied evening and through out, rather than picking on those who suit, and even worse when it is just enforced to meet a monthly quota, which is what happens down here in MA, not just in Maine.

Also, Sommesville in Maine gets nearly all of it's town revenue from speeding tickets and they'll do you for doing 37 in a 35 as happened to an aunt
Old May 25th 2009, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Not just police and not just in the US. IIRC, in England taxi drivers (and minicab drivers in London) are exempted from the seatbelt laws.
for safety reasons yes, also people who make regular stops like postie and delivery drivers, as long as on a route with regular stops.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

garrettciaran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gregory Ainsworth III
Remember we are all guests here. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" and if you don't like it there are nonstop flights leaving from here to the U.K. every hour on the hour.
I moved in March back to England. The downturn isn't as bad as the USA
Old May 25th 2009, 9:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Considering how many miles they must be driving, and how I've never seen a smashed cop car at the side of the road, I'd suspect that overall they are behaving in a safe manner.
I've seen quite a few myself...and the local body shop usually has one or two in for work every week that's up the street...and this is a tiny town...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.