Stupid law enforcement rules USA

Old May 25th 2009, 10:10 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid law enforcement rules USA

What if this person was ejected from the vehicle, and went airborne? Tell her to wear the seatbelt. Think about the innocent bystanders. If she doesn't want to tell her to rent Armageddon and Deep Impact so she can see the hazards involved in her decision...

Would you all say the UK is a bigger Nanny State than the US?
Old May 25th 2009, 12:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
Would you all say the UK is a bigger Nanny State than the US?
I wouldn't. I'd call it a different nanny state.

camera's instead of school bullies in uniform and a gun.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I wouldn't. I'd call it a different nanny state.

camera's instead of school bullies in uniform and a gun.
What about Canuckistan? How do they rank? At least Americans don't have to go to the special "Beer Store".
Old May 25th 2009, 12:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

At least Americans don't have to go to the special "Beer Store".
What about Canada?

at least you can be younger than 21 to go in a LCBO.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

What about Canuckistan? How do they rank? At least Americans don't have to go to the special "Beer Store".
You do where I live
Old May 25th 2009, 12:46 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
of course, lest us not forget umpteen million college campus cops and Native American pretend policemen
I think that at least some of the Native American cops are actually federal agents (at least according to Criminal Minds). Also, railway cops are genuine LEOs, though I'm not sure where their charters come from (federal, state, other....?)
Old May 25th 2009, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

and The Beer Stores don't sell spirits....have to make a trip to the LCBO for those. What a performance.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
and The Beer Stores don't sell spirits....have to make a trip to the LCBO for those. What a performance.
Yeah and while the OP was wrong on the seatbelt thing, he may have had a point on the revenue angle.

In many states liquor can only be purchased from the state (ISTR CostCo was suing WA over this). Similarly many states have restrictions on gambling, apart from the state owned lottery. Lots of example of laws that give states monopolies over various revenue streams.

Not that the UK is any better, what with speed cameras and railway monopolies etc... just different, as Manc said.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:06 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Some states even have liquor stores with drive-thru windows. That's freedom.

I heard about the speed cams in the UK. They nail people for a couple kph over the limit with a large fine.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:10 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garrettciaran
I left the USA in March and my American fiancee will be coming over as soon as possible, she cannot stand the country, and she is a Texan. As for law enforcement, I feel the motorist is an easy target for them, reducing crime doesnt seem to be a priority in Huntsville, Texas, as they can exact revenue without much trouble.
I think that Paddington made a great point recently. With the advent of the automobile police have changed from a law enforcement- crime prevention and investigation role, to one of revenue enhancement by means of petty traffic fines. They have thus changed from protecting the common man, to preying on him.

Don't get me wrong, if someone is driving 60 in a 30 mph residential area, or driving erratically while on their cell phone I think they should be stopped and ticketed; I just dont think that their time should be wasted on drivers who did not come to a full stop or who are going 65 in a 55 mph zone. Too many other good (dangerous) candidates out there.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:24 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
I think that Paddington made a great point recently. With the advent of the automobile police have changed from a law enforcement- crime prevention and investigation role, to one of revenue enhancement by means of petty traffic fines. They have thus changed from protecting the common man, to preying on him.

Don't get me wrong, if someone is driving 60 in a 30 mph residential area, or driving erratically while on their cell phone I think they should be stopped and ticketed; I just dont think that their time should be wasted on drivers who did not come to a full stop or who are going 65 in a 55 mph zone. Too many other good (dangerous) candidates out there.
The police round my way not only seem to be stopping people left right and centre, but they also seldom indicate when turning, drive erratically and think nothing of using their own cell phones while driving. Just what I've observed...
Old May 25th 2009, 1:27 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by tonrob
The police round my way not only seem to be stopping people left right and centre, but they also seldom indicate when turning, drive erratically and think nothing of using their own cell phones while driving. Just what I've observed...

It's not uncommon for police jurisdictions to be specifically exempt from the cell phone, and the seatbelt laws.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:38 pm

It's not uncommon for police jurisdictions to be specifically exempt from the cell phone, and the seatbelt laws.
Not just police and not just in the US. IIRC, in England taxi drivers (and minicab drivers in London) are exempted from the seatbelt laws.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:43 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer

My stepson is here visiting from England and got to go on a "ride along" last week with the local police. In 7 hours he said there was "no excitement" except for one speeding ticket where the person was going 20 miles over the limit.
Old May 25th 2009, 2:33 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

All passengers should wear a seatbelt. In a smack, even the people in the back of the car can kill the people in front by not wearing a seatbelt.

Every time I get a ticket (speeding or whatever), I never moan, it is what it is. "Fair cop guv" is my motto. A highway patrol cop in Georgia this year, cut 10 MPH off my speeding ticket which resulted in just a $30 fine instead of $300. He thanked me for being so polite and cut me slack - that I didn't even ask for !

So, on to the main point of the thread. All the cops around here are out with their laser guns because they need the tax dollars. With so many unemployed, foreclosures and people out of work, the local government is running out of money! Expect more of this until the economy recovers - i.e. a long time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.