Status???

Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default Status???

Hi

In February I will be taking the BAR BRI bar review course in Seattle.Its only a short course lasting 8 weeks.

Do I need a visa for that, or simply go in on the I-94 visa waiver? I reside in BC

Thanks
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Status???

Originally Posted by London7
Hi

In February I will be taking the BAR BRI bar review course in Seattle.Its only a short course lasting 8 weeks.

Do I need a visa for that, or simply go in on the I-94 visa waiver? I reside in BC

Thanks
Hi:

What nationality are you? You don't say.

BTW, you can take the BAR/BRI course by recording without actually attending the lectures. If you have ever taken a bar exam before, that might be a feasible way of doing it.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

What nationality are you? You don't say.

BTW, you can take the BAR/BRI course by recording without actually attending the lectures. If you have ever taken a bar exam before, that might be a feasible way of doing it.
Hi
I am British.As I am already a lawyer, i would rather attend class than do home study, i did that here in BC and lets say i was very unmotivated!!!!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Hi
I am British.As I am already a lawyer, i would rather attend class than do home study, i did that here in BC and lets say i was very unmotivated!!!!!
Hi:

What I did when in your situation was to also obtain the class schedule. I then studied the BAR/BRI before the scheduled lecture and I then listened to the lecture.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi:

What I did when in your situation was to also obtain the class schedule. I then studied the BAR/BRI before the scheduled lecture and I then listened to the lecture.
How did you find BAR BRI? I hear the California bar is the toughest?

Do you know if I can study in the US whilst on the 90 day tourist waiver (I 94)

Any tips both on the status and as a fellow lawyer greatly appreciated
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

How did you find BAR BRI? I hear the California bar is the toughest?

Do you know if I can study in the US whilst on the 90 day tourist waiver (I 94)

Any tips both on the status and as a fellow lawyer greatly appreciated
Hi:

I took the California Bar back in 1975 -- the two competitors were "BAR" and "BRC" -- I used "BRC". BRC is now defunct and BAR merged with BRI. They all work -- however, it was strange taking a course focused only passing a particular examination. It should be noted that the statistics for the California Bar are somewhat skewed because CA is pretty liberal in who they allow to SIT for the exam. The pass rate from ABA accredited schools is actually pretty high. [BTW, the current Attorney General of California took it twice which I found comforting when I took the exam in 1975].

When I was on the Immigration & Nationality Advisory Commission of the California State Bar, I helped write one and grade two California Legal Specialization examinations. An interesting exercise to say the least and I found out that there is a largish body of literature for bar and other professional examiners.

I used BAR/BRI when I took the bar in another state 15 years out of law school. I went into it not really caring so I was quite relaxed. The weird thing was that I passed the California Bar by brute force memorization -- I can't say I truly understood it. After 15 years of practice in a limited area of the law, I was surprised to learn that review was relatively easy -- I actually UNDERSTOOD the stuff. I can't tell you how many times I found myself saying "THATS what they meant!" Polemis, the Wagon Mound cases and Palsgraff actually made sense!

On the visa question -- I think this is a gray area -- I can argue it both ways in my head. Non-accredited courses are NOT a valid B-2 admission [look up BIA case of "Healy & Goodchild.] However, I can envision a Bar Review course as a valid B-1 admission. Further I will not venture -- I'm simply not sure.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi:

I took the California Bar back in 1975 -- the two competitors were "BAR" and "BRC" -- I used "BRC". BRC is now defunct and BAR merged with BRI. They all work -- however, it was strange taking a course focused only passing a particular examination. It should be noted that the statistics for the California Bar are somewhat skewed because CA is pretty liberal in who they allow to SIT for the exam. The pass rate from ABA accredited schools is actually pretty high. [BTW, the current Attorney General of California took it twice which I found comforting when I took the exam in 1975].

When I was on the Immigration & Nationality Advisory Commission of the California State Bar, I helped write one and grade two California Legal Specialization examinations. An interesting exercise to say the least and I found out that there is a largish body of literature for bar and other professional examiners.

I used BAR/BRI when I took the bar in another state 15 years out of law school. I went into it not really caring so I was quite relaxed. The weird thing was that I passed the California Bar by brute force memorization -- I can't say I truly understood it. After 15 years of practice in a limited area of the law, I was surprised to learn that review was relatively easy -- I actually UNDERSTOOD the stuff. I can't tell you how many times I found myself saying "THATS what they meant!" Polemis, the Wagon Mound cases and Palsgraff actually made sense!

On the visa question -- I think this is a gray area -- I can argue it both ways in my head. Non-accredited courses are NOT a valid B-2 admission [look up BIA case of "Healy & Goodchild.] However, I can envision a Bar Review course as a valid B-1 admission. Further I will not venture -- I'm simply not sure.
Hi

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply..wow, I am impressed you got through it first time after what I have heard!!!! My friend is currently studying for the California bar, he sits it in July.

The Washington Bar is all essay, no multiple choice.

Ok, I will go to the US embassy here in Vancouver to check, do not want some nazi at the border giving me hell a week before the course starts!!!!

Thanks again....and out of interest what visa are you on in the US now? I am patiently awaiting Canadian Citizenship so I can take advantage of the TN1

Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:24 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again....and out of interest what visa are you on in the US
I have a feeling Mr F may be a US citizen.....