Offshore work on F1 visa

Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:11 am
Just Joined

L-plates is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offshore work on F1 visa

hi all

At the very early steps of looking into doing a masters in the US so apologies if this has been asked before.

Have lined up the courses/schools I want to apply to, but all are expensive and over two years so was hoping to work while studying to alleviate the cost.

Having read more info on the F1 visa and restrictions on work that has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works.

My current job is an independent contractor. Basically I get the majority of work from clients based in UK and Europe online, with payment going to a UK bank account.
If I were to avoid working with any US-based clients and keep my work (at a reduced capacity) going while doing my masters would this be a problem - or does anyway have experience of doing this?
Obviously I'd be physically doing the work in the US in that I'd be sat in front of a computer there, but all clients/payments/tax payment etc would be in the UK where I'm registered as a contractor.

Is this remotely feasible? I plan on doing the masters anyway, but it would be great to have some extra income coming in.
Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offshore work on F1 visa

Originally Posted by L-plates
Is this remotely feasible?
I don't think so. My understanding is that the F-1 visa carries very specific work authorization, and what you plan to do doesn't sound like it falls into those categories. I think you know this yourself, since when you looked into it you realized there would be problems.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:31 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all

At the very early steps of looking into doing a masters in the US so apologies if this has been asked before.

Have lined up the courses/schools I want to apply to, but all are expensive and over two years so was hoping to work while studying to alleviate the cost.

Having read more info on the F1 visa and restrictions on work that has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works.

My current job is an independent contractor. Basically I get the majority of work from clients based in UK and Europe online, with payment going to a UK bank account.
If I were to avoid working with any US-based clients and keep my work (at a reduced capacity) going while doing my masters would this be a problem - or does anyway have experience of doing this?
Obviously I'd be physically doing the work in the US in that I'd be sat in front of a computer there, but all clients/payments/tax payment etc would be in the UK where I'm registered as a contractor.

Is this remotely feasible? I plan on doing the masters anyway, but it would be great to have some extra income coming in.
Thanks
Hi:

Congratulations on you so carefully worded your question. You do NOT ask whether or not this is permissible under the terms of an F-1 admission. Clever.

I'm impressed.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:36 am
Just Joined

L-plates is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply Folinskyinla

I actually didn't put so much effort into the wording!
Everything I read has been about working in the US - off campus - for a US employer.
I haven't found any information regarding working purely online and being paid into a non-US bank account. So I was wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't found any information regarding working purely online and being paid into a non-US bank account. So I was wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation.
The problem is where your body is when you're working online, and what permission your body has to work in the US (if that's where your body is).
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:11 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply Folinskyinla

I actually didn't put so much effort into the wording!
Everything I read has been about working in the US - off campus - for a US employer.
Hi:

I tend to think it is a fine line. Some people are comfortable skating on the edge, others find it exciting, and other stay far away as possible.