Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

The second is the I-864, which is used for K1 visa, but then aos to I864!?

The second is the I-864, which is used for K1 visa, but then aos to I864!?

Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

chrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nice
Default The second is the I-864, which is used for K1 visa, but then aos to I864!?

I have been worrying and stressing about various aspects of the k1 visa process, however I am now worried about something I have niot looked into detail.

Its the I-864, which i understand is for the AOS once I am there, my fiancee will be a student at university and is likely to just have a bar job, she will have savings/assets of around $60k, she also have family memebers that have significant finances. I am also likely to be going with at least $20k. Now am I likely to have a problem with the I864???

Last edited by chrisandjulie; Jul 19th 2008 at 12:40 pm. Reason: didnt make sense
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The second is the I-864, which is used for K1 visa, but then aos to I864!?

Originally Posted by chrisandjulie
I have been worrying and stressing about various aspects of the k1 visa process, however I am now worried about something I have niot looked into detail.

Its the I-864, which i understand is for the AOS once I am there, my fiancee will be a student at university and is likely to just have a bar job, she will have savings/assets of around $60k, she also have family memebers that have significant finances. I am also likely to be going with at least $20k. Now am I likely to have a problem with the I864???
As long as she will have a joint sponsor who qualifies, there should be no problem. If you've got several family and/or friends to choose from, shouldn't be a problem finding someone who qualifies.

If her income won't be enough to qualify her on income alone, then depending on how much she earns, she can make up the difference in assets, if she has enough (such as savings). Assets must equal 3x the amount she would have needed in income. Your cash can be deposited into her account and used along with her assets for one total.

A joint sponsor must earn the right amount of income for their household size plus you. Or, the sponsor must have assets equal to 5x the amount they would have needed in income.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

chrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nice
Default Re: The second is the I-864, which is used for K1 visa, but then aos to I864!?

where can i see the specific fiancial figures i.e the qualifying fiancial figure?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As long as she will have a joint sponsor who qualifies, there should be no problem. If you've got several family and/or friends to choose from, shouldn't be a problem finding someone who qualifies.

If her income won't be enough to qualify her on income alone, then depending on how much she earns, she can make up the difference in assets, if she has enough (such as savings). Assets must equal 3x the amount she would have needed in income. Your cash can be deposited into her account and used along with her assets for one total.

A joint sponsor must earn the right amount of income for their household size plus you. Or, the sponsor must have assets equal to 5x the amount they would have needed in income.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandjulie
where can i see the specific fiancial figures i.e the qualifying fiancial figure?
Go to www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-864P. That is the chart which shows the level of income needed. You'll be looking at the 125% column. It's based on her household size plus you.

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

It's not necessary for the alien spouse's assets to be turned over to the US sponsor spouse. He can keep his cash in his own account and she can still use it for her I-864.

Putting his (and her) money into a joint account might be useful for a showing of co-mingled finances, adding credibility to the bona fides of the marriage.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
..... Your cash can be deposited into her account and used along with her assets for one total.

Best Wishes,
Rene