Started the process

Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

theadamsfamily1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Started the process

Well, we have started the process. We are sending in our I-130 this week for my husband. Some thing have changed since I last posted, which seems an eternity ago. My Dad and stepmother live in Texas and my Dad has Alzheimer's. The stepmother has pleaded with us to come to Texas to be close by and help out. She is going to let us stay in her beach cabin in Gilchrist, near Galveston (sounds posh but it's a shack really, but will be a roof over our heads and rent free).

My only concern at this point is still the financial bit. My stepmother is gong to be a Joint Sponsor when it comes to filing financial forms, and since she has a good income and owns three properties, I don't really see a problem, but that fear is niggling in my head. We don't have any personal assets at all ourselves and no savings. We are going to be relying only on what we can save to get to the states, but will have the free rent, so whatever can be saved from working in the States can go towards a permanent place to live.

I just would like to hear from others who were financially limited who immigrated and their experiences.

Thank you, Karen
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Started the process

Joint sponsors are fine, you can always add or take it out of the equation when you have your interview...though remember that assets and cash has the x5 multiplier to what the salary requirement is if you need to use assets to boost salary.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theadamsfamily1
Well, we have started the process. We are sending in our I-130 this week for my husband. Some thing have changed since I last posted, which seems an eternity ago. My Dad and stepmother live in Texas and my Dad has Alzheimer's. The stepmother has pleaded with us to come to Texas to be close by and help out. She is going to let us stay in her beach cabin in Gilchrist, near Galveston (sounds posh but it's a shack really, but will be a roof over our heads and rent free).

My only concern at this point is still the financial bit. My stepmother is gong to be a Joint Sponsor when it comes to filing financial forms, and since she has a good income and owns three properties, I don't really see a problem, but that fear is niggling in my head. We don't have any personal assets at all ourselves and no savings. We are going to be relying only on what we can save to get to the states, but will have the free rent, so whatever can be saved from working in the States can go towards a permanent place to live.

I just would like to hear from others who were financially limited who immigrated and their experiences.

Thank you, Karen
hi Karen, congrats on your first step!
Are you sending the I-130 to London USCIS?
If so, have you seen the two links in my signature?

If you have a solid Joint Sponsor in your stepmother, that should be sufficient. I was not working when I sponsored my husband, from abroad, and I did have my folks' I-864 as a back up when we went for the interview.
The only other useful thing I could add about that is that I was questioned about my (I'm the USC) work plans for when we got back to the US. I was asked if I had any job offers (I did).
London has been quite easy going about this with other folk in circumstances similar to yours.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

theadamsfamily1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your advice and support. My stepmother works at Lamar University, so could probably rope me up a job offer as well . I was under the impression that only my dh would go for an interview, this is just based on what I've read in other posts? It would actually be better if both of us attended, cuz then I could kill two birds with one stone and get my kids' births registered and their US passports!

Karen x
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for your advice and support. My stepmother works at Lamar University, so could probably rope me up a job offer as well . I was under the impression that only my dh would go for an interview, this is just based on what I've read in other posts? It would actually be better if both of us attended, cuz then I could kill two birds with one stone and get my kids' births registered and their US passports!

Karen x
Only your husband is required to attend the interview. I'm not sure if London allows the USC spouse to be present or not anymore.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that only my dh would go for an interview, this is just based on what I've read in other posts? It would actually be better if both of us attended, cuz then I could kill two birds with one stone and get my kids' births registered and their US passports!
While my DH is a UKC (as well as US now!), we didn't interview in London; we lived in Greece at the time.

I've heard recently that USC's aren't allowed into the London Consulate for the spouse visa interviews, but you would certainly be allowed to go to the Embassy to get the kids' passports etc on the go.

Our situation was unique, as all of them are. You, for example, have the opportunity to apply for UK citizenship, right? You might think about doing that before you leave.