Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to get the GC after the interview

How long does it take to get the GC after the interview

Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:29 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long does it take to get the GC after the interview

All,

I have my AOS interview at the end of November and my application for a green card was approved (yay! It was a nightmare getting here, but that's another story). But it's been two months and I still haven't received the green card. How long does this normally take? Given the timescale on everything else I'm not worried that there is a problem yet.

Also is there a chance it could be refused at this stage after the interview approval, there are no deep dark secrets in my past that they may uncover, but I can't help be a little paranoid.

Oh and another question. This is a green card based on my wife and I getting married last May, so it has the two year conditional thing. When does that date come into affect? Is it when we filed, when we had the approval interview, when I actually receive the card, or is it some other date chosen seemingly at random?

TIA

Z
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does it take to get the GC after the interview

Originally Posted by zargof
I have my AOS interview at the end of November and my application for a green card was approved
How do you know it's been approved for sure?

But it's been two months and I still haven't received the green card. How long does this normally take? Given the timescale on everything else I'm not worried that there is a problem yet.
In 2005, we got a welcome letter within about a week, and the actual card about a week later, I think. Not longer than a couple of weeks.

Also is there a chance it could be refused at this stage after the interview approval, there are no deep dark secrets in my past that they may uncover, but I can't help be a little paranoid.
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps your security check was not complete.

Oh and another question. This is a green card based on my wife and I getting married last May, so it has the two year conditional thing. When does that date come into affect? Is it when we filed, when we had the approval interview, when I actually receive the card, or is it some other date chosen seemingly at random?
It is the date that you actually become a PR. That could be the date of your interview if you were indeed approved, or it could be a date in the future if you are not really approved yet. When you finally do get your green card, it will say "resident since ____" and that's the date to count 2 years from. You'll file the I-751 within the 90-day window just prior to that.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:44 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How do you know it's been approved for sure?
Well, at the interview the lady said it had been approved and said I should receive the card in the mail.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In 2005, we got a welcome letter within about a week, and the actual card about a week later, I think. Not longer than a couple of weeks.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps your security check was not complete.
Security check? Hmm... OK, I wonder what that entails, as I do have UK security clearance from my old job, no idea if that makes any difference, but there was never any questions that asked about this...

I think I'll give it a couple more weeks and if I haven't heard anything I'll start chasing it up.

Thanks.

Z
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Well, at the interview the lady said it had been approved and said I should receive the card in the mail.

Security check? Hmm... OK, I wonder what that entails, as I do have UK security clearance from my old job, no idea if that makes any difference, but there was never any questions that asked about this...

I think I'll give it a couple more weeks and if I haven't heard anything I'll start chasing it up.

Thanks.

Z
The security check is what they do from having taken your fingerprints. It's not always completed by the time your interview comes around. Maybe the officer said you were approved but didn't get a chance to update your file yet or something.

Definitely follow up with an Infopass appointment in person, if you don't hear something. I dont' think it should have taken more than a month or so to get the card in the mail.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 29th 2008 at 10:55 pm.