Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Stage 1 Complete... Petition approved! Now What...?

Stage 1 Complete... Petition approved! Now What...?

Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

MsWheels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stage 1 Complete... Petition approved! Now What...?

Hi Everyone! I'm hoping you can help me. My lovely Michigander Fiance & I filed our Petition for Fiance visa in July & we heard yesterday it has been approved! (YAY!) So now I'm just trying to navigate my way through stage 2 of the whole process...

As I understand it, I wait for an inteview date and in the mean time book my medical & get my police checks. And Kirk has to get his financial records in order back in the States (do I need copies of these?).

Any advice welcome... lay it on me.

PS. So good to find a group of people that understand what it is to go through this process!

Thanks, Emma
Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stage 1 Complete... Petition approved! Now What...?

Originally Posted by MsWheels
Hi Everyone! I'm hoping you can help me. My lovely Michigander Fiance & I filed our Petition for Fiance visa in July & we heard yesterday it has been approved! (YAY!) So now I'm just trying to navigate my way through stage 2 of the whole process...

As I understand it, I wait for an inteview date and in the mean time book my medical & get my police checks. And Kirk has to get his financial records in order back in the States (do I need copies of these?).

Any advice welcome... lay it on me.

PS. So good to find a group of people that understand what it is to go through this process!

Thanks, Emma

Hi and Welcome

Congratulations!!

Details about what happens next are here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...rocessing.html

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/iv_15.html

Read each link about 20 times until you can recite the detail in your head.

Seriously

The USC will receive the NOA2 (petition approval)

The UKC will receive 'packet 3' a letter containing the third link above.

If time is an issue, start applying for the police cert. That takes 3 -4 weeks to come through.

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Oct 16th 2009 at 5:49 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:59 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

MW,

Not quite. You won't get an interview date until you apply for a visa.

The petition is not a visa application.

YWFWT has suggested some good places for reading that will fill in the gaps for you.

Regards, JEff

Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone!
Hi Emma, Welcome to BE!

As I understand it, I wait for an inteview date and in the mean time book my medical & get my police checks.
Pretty much, yes. You can obtain the police record now, but I would wait until you receive info from the embassy before booking the medical...I think there is some information on their correspondence you will need in order to book the medical.

And Kirk has to get his financial records in order back in the States (do I need copies of these?).
If by this you mean he needs to complete an I-134 and provide you with the original I-134, copies of proof of income, and copies of tax returns....then yes. You will bring all that information to your visa interview.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys! But Jeff... could you clarify?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What don't you understand about JEff's post?

Your fiance submitted an I-129F petition. When that petition gets approved, the case moves to London. London sends you paperwork to apply for a K-1 visa. When you've done your part, they set up a visa interview for you. If approved, you get the K-1 visa a few days later.

Rene
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

MW,

You can't just sit back and wait for a visa interview based on an approved petition. There isn't going to be any visa interview until you apply for a visa. The visa petition is not a visa applciation.

I don't know how to say it any more simply. Which part is confusing you?

Regards, JEff

Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
MW,

You can't just sit back and wait for a visa interview based on an approved petition. There isn't going to be any visa interview until you apply for a visa. The visa petition is not a visa applciation.

I don't know how to say it any more simply. Which part is confusing you?

Regards, JEff
Hey come on -

People have to realise that some peope have never heard of a K1 visa until recently whereas others on here have been here years and know the subject inside out. Stop trying to score cheap points against easy targets just to make oneself look clever.

MsWheels -

The I-129f is the petition to bring the non USC to the USA to get married. Once approved, the non USC then applies for the actual visa itself.

Have a careful read of this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635099

.......and please note I wasn't joking when I suggested you should read the threads I posted earlier in this thread about 20 times.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Lol. Well thats more clear... didnt realise I had an application to fill out prior to my interview.

YWFWT- yeah I know from the Fiance petition that each instruction must be read 20 times! The whole thing is a minefield...

Thanks again for the help xxx
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:24 pm

I guess I should have just referred her back to my post #3 in this thread?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
MW,

YWFWT has suggested some good places for reading that will fill in the gaps for you.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hey come on -

People have to realise that some peope have never heard of a K1 visa until recently whereas others on here have been here years and know the subject inside out. Stop trying to score cheap points against easy targets just to make oneself look clever.

MsWheels -

The I-129f is the petition to bring the non USC to the USA to get married. Once approved, the non USC then applies for the actual visa itself.

Have a careful read of this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635099

.......and please note I wasn't joking when I suggested you should read the threads I posted earlier in this thread about 20 times.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lol. Well thats more clear... didnt realise I had an application to fill out prior to my interview.

YWFWT- yeah I know from the Fiance petition that each instruction must be read 20 times! The whole thing is a minefield...

Thanks again for the help xxx
You don't - the 'application' is the sum of all the actions you have to take, described in the links I posted to you.

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Oct 16th 2009 at 7:28 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If time is an issue, start applying for the police cert. That takes 3 -4 weeks to come through.
10 days for the standard service, 2 days for the premium service with an extra fee of course.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You don't - the 'application' is the sum of all the actions you have to take, described in the links I posted to you.
Fries, you know from my messages how much I value your input and the help you offer for K-1 applicants.

However, I'd say the collective 'we' have gone to great pains over the years so that people do understand the distinct parts of a "visa application"; as you know, the devil is in the details and people do much better when they have the terminology correct from the start.

There are two, distinct parts people should know about:

The petition (i-129f in this case) and the visa application. Everything that happens after 'NOA2' is the visa application, and is directed by the foreign fiance/spouse.

Considering that MsW didn't know she would have to complete any applications at all, it will be helpful for her to know what her part in the whole thing is. She must individually qualify for the visa; the petition is not enough.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
Fries, you know from my messages how much I value your input and the help you offer for K-1 applicants.

However, I'd say the collective 'we' have gone to great pains over the years so that people do understand the distinct parts of a "visa application"; as you know, the devil is in the details and people do much better when they have the terminology correct from the start.

There are two, distinct parts people should know about:

The petition (i-129f in this case) and the visa application. Everything that happens after 'NOA2' is the visa application, and is directed by the foreign fiance/spouse.

Considering that MsW didn't know she would have to complete any applications at all, it will be helpful for her to know what her part in the whole thing is. She must individually qualify for the visa; the petition is not enough.

Hi Mo,

I agree, although I think there's been a misunderstanding here. I explained to the OP in post 2 and post 8 of this thread that, as you point, the K1 is a 2 stage process - petition followed by application.

My comment in post 11 of this thread was in response to the OPs query that she thought she might have to fill out an application prior to her interview.

My response of "You don't - the 'application' is the sum of all the actions you have to take, described in the links I posted to you" was referring to all the post NOA2 action that goes togther to form the 'application' for the K1 - all the packet 3 forms, the I-134, police cert, etc outlined in the links about post NOA2 action that I had given to her in post 2

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Oct 16th 2009 at 11:15 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lansbury
10 days for the standard service, 2 days for the premium service with an extra fee of course.
Hi Ian,

http://www.acpo.police.uk/Certificat...App%20Form.pdf

Have a look under "Example Times" on page 1. It says "the process time of your application can very easily take up to 20 days before you receive your Police Certificate back".

Mine took nearly 3 weeks and I have heard others on here report waits of between 3 -4 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.