SSN Received!

Old Jul 18th 2003, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN Received!

Hello All,

Just a quick post to my experience with applying for and receiving SSN in Columbia, Maryland.

Background:
-Entered on K-1 Visa on June 12
-Applied for SSN on June 18 and told I was not yet updated by BCIS in the system (SAVE database) and that it could take about 10 days to process
-Called numerous times (June 23-27) to the call-center for SSA, first the Reps were saying it's about 10 days to find you on the system and then they will issue the SSN and finally they said it could take up to 60 days as there are foreign students being processed
-Called my local SSA office July 10 and they said that if I applied in the middle of June and I still did not have my SSN by now (July 10) then I should go back to the office and re-apply as my application would have "dropped off" the system
-Went back to SSA office on July 11 to re-apply for SSN... Was advised that my application WOULD NOT HAVE been dropped off the system. (She showed me a whole stack of other apps that she does follows up on.) After a bit of waiting, she dug up my original application with the copy of my passport and provided me a receipt saying that I would have my card in 7 days. One other thing I did notice while I was there, my name was on a piece of paper with other people and she then crossed my name off after she found my original app. (I presume that list were follow ups that needed to be done through BCIS).

As for how long it took for me to get into the SAVE System... Somewhere between 2 - 3 weeks after entry. The July 4th holiday was in there as well so I'm sure that may have had a bit to play with it all...

Good Luck to one and all!
Old Jul 19th 2003, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SSN Received!

Originally posted by eiloo
Hello All,

Just a quick post to my experience with applying for and receiving SSN in Columbia, Maryland.

Background:
-Entered on K-1 Visa on June 12
-Applied for SSN on June 18 and told I was not yet updated by BCIS in the system (SAVE database) and that it could take about 10 days to process
-Called numerous times (June 23-27) to the call-center for SSA, first the Reps were saying it's about 10 days to find you on the system and then they will issue the SSN and finally they said it could take up to 60 days as there are foreign students being processed
-Called my local SSA office July 10 and they said that if I applied in the middle of June and I still did not have my SSN by now (July 10) then I should go back to the office and re-apply as my application would have "dropped off" the system
-Went back to SSA office on July 11 to re-apply for SSN... Was advised that my application WOULD NOT HAVE been dropped off the system. (She showed me a whole stack of other apps that she does follows up on.) After a bit of waiting, she dug up my original application with the copy of my passport and provided me a receipt saying that I would have my card in 7 days. One other thing I did notice while I was there, my name was on a piece of paper with other people and she then crossed my name off after she found my original app. (I presume that list were follow ups that needed to be done through BCIS).

As for how long it took for me to get into the SAVE System... Somewhere between 2 - 3 weeks after entry. The July 4th holiday was in there as well so I'm sure that may have had a bit to play with it all...

Good Luck to one and all!

One other thing I forgot to mention... and I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing... My SS Card does not say "VALID FOR WORK WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" it just looks like my fiancee's card.